BlackBerry Forums Support Community

BlackBerry Forums Support Community (http://www.blackberryforums.com/index.php)
-   BlackBerry Versus (http://www.blackberryforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=123)
-   -   Iphone 3g Vs Blackberry Anything (http://www.blackberryforums.com/showthread.php?t=142567)

vventimiglia 07-29-2008 08:32 AM

Iphone 3g Vs Blackberry Anything

I am writing this thread as a previous Blackberry Curve, and pearl owner. I noticed there are blackberry die hards all over this site and being a previous owner of one and now the owner of a Iphone 3g I wanted to confront those who love to " hate " on the Iphone. I ask you people this.... What on earth does ANY blackberry do that the iPhone doesnt do already or do 10x better?

Lets go down the list. Iphone goes up to 16gigs of available memory when you cant even expand the memory using a micro sd card on the blackberry to that big. So right there the iphone destroys the blackberry in available space to use for mp3's or photo's ect.

Moving on to size and design. First thing everyone who has a blackberry is going to say is the iphone is fragile. Yes ill be the first to say it is more fragile then a blackberry so if your looking to beat the hell out of your phone and not have a case for it then no its not the phone for you. But i see most blackberry users treat there phones as if there godly so i see no reason why it being a bit more fragile would be a problem. If anyone trys to say the iphone is not better looking then any blackberry even the bold ( who copied some of its design from the iphone ) has to be in pure denial. Blackberry has kept the same crude boxy design and change the colors and curves slightly with each phone but essentially keeping the boring ugly brick format. there latest innovation in years was moving from a track wheel to a track ball.

The internet. This is where the iphone single handedly blows the doors off any blackberry. First off the screen on the blackberry is so tiny and the graphics look like atari compared to the iphone. the webpages are modified and i dont care if its 3g or not ( which still isnt out yet for blackberry ) it will not look nor load the same speed as a iphone which is built for internet use. web pages come up fluidly and fast and identical to a pc rather then the 2 and half minute wait to get a shambled version of a webpage on a blackberry.

Next is all the affordable and extremely usable 3rd party and apple apps. you can download them right from your phone anywhere and for usually a reasonable price. unlike blackberry who requires u to hook up a cable to ur pc to download a 20 dollar alarm clock program

so what is the last hoorah for the blackberry. CORPORATE EMAIL. most people sign themselves up for it in the company to seem important barely using it but lets discuss this as if you really did need it and use it. Iphone now supports corporate email however not all companies are on to it yet so it may not be available. but once it catches on n it will, what happens to blackberries sole purpose? does the corporate email make the blackberry so great when it gets blown out on every single other option and feature? can someone please justify how they hate on the iphone and think the blackberry is so much better?

jsconyers 07-29-2008 08:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vventimiglia (Post 1037492)
What on earth does ANY blackberry do that the iPhone doesnt do already or do 10x better?

Copy and paste?

vventimiglia 07-29-2008 08:48 AM

so blackberry is better phone because of cut and paste, that would make you buy it over the countless other better features of a iphone? just curious, also the cut and paste feature is supposed to be added in the 2.01 update for the iphone.

jsconyers 07-29-2008 08:51 AM

I was just answering your question. There is also a tiny thing called security, the BlackBerry is far superior than the iPhone in that department. That feature I would believe is a BIG decision factor for many.

jeremyckitching 07-29-2008 08:56 AM

Quote:

What on earth does ANY blackberry do that the iPhone doesnt do already or do 10x better?

Voice-activated dialing, video recording, A2DP stereo Bluetooth, MMS messaging, copy and paste, and I can replace the battery if there is a problem. Those are some of the things that the BlackBerry can do that the iPhone cannot. Just answering the question. :smile:

murpheous 07-29-2008 09:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jeremyckitching (Post 1037527)
Voice-activated dialing, video recording, A2DP stereo Bluetooth, MMS messaging, copy and paste, and I can replace the battery if there is a problem. Those are some of the things that the BlackBerry can do that the iPhone cannot. Just answering the question. :smile:

Good list, I would just add....running more than 1 application at a time.

jeremyckitching 07-29-2008 09:02 AM

And you can install BlackBerry applications over the air. It doesn't always require you to install via USB.

The iPhone is an amazing device, and I believe the BlackBerry is too. It is great that users can choose which one they want. The iPhone excels at things, as does the BlackBerry. I am actually thinking about getting an iPod Touch at some point because I saw my brothers and think it is great.

jeremyckitching 07-29-2008 09:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by murpheous (Post 1037531)
Good list, I would just add....running more than 1 application at a time.

Very true! I forgot about that one.

JSanders 07-29-2008 09:22 AM

Quote:

I noticed there are blackberry die hards all over this site

How odd is it that you would come to a BlackBerry forums website and find BlackBerry diehards?

Would you expect throngs of Chevy enthusiasts at a Ford roundup?
Would you find hordes of coffee aficionados en masse at a Barbecue cook-off?
Would you look for the high dive swimming team at a snow ski resort?

So why do you visit "www.BlackBerryForums.com" and appear surprised to find WHOA!, BlackBerry enthusiasts!

If you are here to have an intelligent, passionate AND civil debate of the features--great. There are many iPhone users here, but don't be surprised should you get flamed if your enthusiasm for the iPhone gets a bit too defensive.

Afterall, this is not the iPhone fanboy site. It is a BlackBerry enthusiast forum.

test54 07-29-2008 09:25 AM

JSanders, I like how you use fanboy vs. enthusiast there. I think you will find both fans and fanboys of both on here.

JSanders 07-29-2008 09:34 AM

Yes, we do have both. It was not intentional.

We do have fanboys and enthusiasts of both products here.

I just don't know what the OP hopes to gain.

test54 07-29-2008 09:37 AM

I know it was just funny thats all.
I think he just wants to stir things up, nothing new imo.

sjohns2 07-29-2008 09:40 AM

I have both the 8820 and the iPhone 3G and I've got to agree with curriertech that the Blackberry, for what it does, it does it very well. It may not have all the bells and whistles of the iPhone, but the features that it does have it really performs them well. Simple things like text messaging, note taking, being able to type notes and browse through applications is MUCH MUCH easier on a Blackberry and if you don't agree with that, you've never compared the two.
Bottom line is that the iPhone is a very good multimedia phone where Apple has placed an emphasis on fun, but the Blackberry is for professionals in the business world that needs to be productive and at the same time have a little fun with the multimedia advances of the newer Blackberry's.

dasunst3r 07-29-2008 09:41 AM

My killer feature = UMA / HotSpot @ Home, but what else do I like about my BlackBerry?
  • I'm not a developer, but collaboration helps when writing a program: (iPhone NDA: Doing more harm than good)
  • I like not having to pay for every, little feature I want to take advantage of. Sure, I paid $ 450 up-front, but I am convinced that I got a lot of bang out of my buck even though I've only had it for two weeks (see my blog -- link is in my signature).
  • This may be a moot point, but when I had my Windows Mobile phone, a touch screen was so unwieldy that I told myself, "Touch screen... never again."

Also, to address your points about downloading programs, there are actually freeware for the BlackBerry. As a matter of fact, I downloaded them all directly from the Internet (we call this OTA -- Over The Air). One more thing: Please do not make duplicate posts -- it is very rude.

kboyer 07-29-2008 09:50 AM

An obvious troll.

But the reason I went with a BB last week over the new iPhone is that the BB is better suited for business use. One fingered touchscreen typing is slow, awkward, and inefficient.

vventimiglia 07-29-2008 10:04 AM

one fingered touchscreen typing is slow if you dont use it and get use to it. eventually you dont use 1 finger and you type as if you would on a physical keyboard, i have the iphone 2 weeks and im about 85 percent as fast as i was on a physical keyboard. change is inevitable dont fear it because more chance then not blackberry will eventually catch up and have touchscreen.

dasunst3r 07-29-2008 10:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kboyer (Post 1037583)
An obvious troll.

Agreed, judging from this person's only three posts. Here are some more nice features:
  • My MicroSD card shows up as a standard mass storage device. That means I can put files on my BB without being locked to one program.
  • Voice dialing: It is REAL, honest-to-God voice recognition and text-to-speech!
Just so you know, RIM is coming out with a touchscreen device, called the Thunder. Change is inevitable, but some folks still want their buttons / tactile feedback.

Alex Alexzander 07-29-2008 10:07 AM

I really have to question the whole corporate email thing where many say the BlackBerry shines. I very often get an email in which someone is calling my attention to many areas with highlights or different colors. They will add notes for example and put them in red or highlight. The reality that iPhone email is pretty much the same as desktop email is a world of difference for me. BlackBerry is adding some of this, but it's just not the same. I don't agree about email being better on the BB at all anymore. I think the iPhone email experience is by far better.

I also feel the same way about the web. I never used the web on my BB. Or when I did, it was a rare thing. But now I use it all the time. And not just for browsing as you might thing. I use it for web-based applications. Some of which work quite well. I have one subscription to MintFly which is $35 a year use of a connector app that taps into SalesForce.

A while back I said it would be about the applications. I said developers would flock to the iPhone and gain a tremendous amount of their business from the iPhone. Here is a clip from an article that appears in MacWorld which mentions the success one developer is having compared to what he had before the iPhone.

Quote:

For example, Pandora Media began offering its Internet radio application for most other mobile platforms, through carriers, about 18 months ago, Pandora CTO Tom Conrad said. That resulted in about 12,000 paid monthly subscriptions to the service, he said.

xxx8220;In six days, we had 350,000 installs on the iPhone,xxx8221; Conrad said. A key factor was that the App Store let the company give away its client and support its service through ads. On other devices, Pandora has had to use carriersxxx8217; monthly subscription model, he said.

Nearly 1 million Facebook users have downloaded the social-networking companyxxx8217;s application to their iPhones, according to Jed Stremel, director of mobile at Facebook. And Loopt, a location-based social-networking startup, reached 100,000 iPhone downloads only about a week after the App Store opened. The average iPhone user also is 47 times as active on Loopt as those on other types of phones, said Loopt cofounder and CEO Sam Altman.

xxx8220;You can make such a beautiful app, and itxxx8217;s so nice to use, so quickly, on the iPhone,xxx8221; Altman said.
The issue raised of running multiple apps is mostly solved in my opinion. The only real app I can see needing such functionality is IM software, or software where an alert is needed as you do other things. Apple's que forward technology solves this problem. It should also be noted that Apple's phone can and does run multiple apps at once. I can listen to my music or audio book while typing up an email. And if a call comes in, I will get the call. And the 3G version of the iPhone works much like a WiFi phone does in that using data doesn't shut the phone down from receiving a call. Likewise I can be on a call, and still type up an email, do a google search, or otherwise lookup and send information. It truly is like having a tiny computer with you. It's so much more useful to me than my BB was.

I'm also very happy to report that I found a replacement for my favorite BB app, which is ToDoMatrix. The app I now use is OmniFocus. I've been using this for a solid few months as a desktop app. And I have been using it as an iPhone app since the 3G released. Unlike ToDoMatrix, there is a desktop version of the software. And it does have sync but doesn't require a subscription for the sync. I can use my iDisc, or Webdav, or just plain ol email to push updates. OmniFocus is cheaper, by about 1/3rd the price. And because there is no subscription, it is even less. It's also a far more sophisticated application. I think this drives at what the OP is saying. What I have on the iPhone is so much better.

As for security, I don't buy that the BB is so much better. The reality is simple. The iPhone works much the same way your corporate PC does in terms of email. You don't have your PCs and Macs using a NOC to send email. The iPhone does not lower the overall security of your company. That's just grasping at straws in my opinion.

Alex Alexzander

penguin3107 07-29-2008 10:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vventimiglia (Post 1037606)
because more chance then not blackberry will eventually catch up and have touchscreen.

Ladies and Gentlemen... Nostradamus has been reborn and has visited our fine forum.

vventimiglia 07-29-2008 10:12 AM

exactly iphone is going the way of corporate email just a matter of time until companies except it and you will see a dramatic increase in iphone usage for business reasons as well. the corporate email is just the instant access of it, in terms of how it looks and is used as the user above said the desktop aspect of how the iphone works and acts like a full blown computer is probably preferred by most. i mean most people use a pc all day and used it for business before they did there phones so y not continue using the same format on your phone ?

JSanders 07-29-2008 10:42 AM

Companies already "except it", i.e., the iPhone is the exception in most corporate environments.

Is that what you meant? ;-)

daphne 07-29-2008 11:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by penguin3107 (Post 1037615)
Ladies and Gentlemen... Nostradamus has been reborn and has visited our fine forum.

http://www.spywarewarrior.com/media/hysterical.gif

fadmin 07-29-2008 12:34 PM

iphone keyboard sucks unless you are 10 years old. Internet is faster to non-compressed data and admit. I do like touch screen.

pnd4pnd 07-29-2008 01:27 PM

lets talk simple things you do every day....

1. switch email boxes - how many steps does it take you to do that? FIVE. utterly ridiculous and unusable. going back and forth? forget it
2. search for a contact? - the only search window is at the top of contacts list. woops, due to the crappy keyboard every time i try to hit the magnifying glass icon i hit add contact! why isn't there just a window at the top for contact search?
3. search your email? search for a specific sender? sorry, out of luck.

simple things to fix but apple isn't paying attention to detail.

mmcpher 07-29-2008 02:53 PM

See attached comparison chart

1 Attachment(s)
See attached comparison chart.

Baldie 07-29-2008 03:42 PM

Here we go again. An iphone fanboy trying to rant on blackberries again.

Here's some points I'd like to make:
1) Many of the blackberry turned iphone users have come back to blackberry...why is that you think?
2) Is iphone ever going to change the way it looks? With its touchscreen feature, I just can't see the iphone looking any different years to come. Whats next? Pink iphone? clear iphone? Titanium iphone? Iphone with a 5" screen? At least there are a variety of models with blackberries and more to come.
3) Email - You can subscribe up to 10 emails which all come into one box on your blackberry. Does iphone have that?
4) Iphone can't voice dial, doesn't have A2DP, no replaceable battery, and no modem option.
5) Blackberry Messenger - blackberry has its own messenging software in which you can chat with people all over the world with blackberries.
6) Your stuck to ATT service and expensive contracts with the iphone.

eykhong 07-29-2008 05:02 PM

While I admit that the iPhone is very "cool" device, it is not much more. The Apple marketing machine has done an excellent job at appealing to the masses, but for someone who wants a phone with email and a well integrated organizer, a Blackberry is hard to beat. I've outgrown the "look at me and my cool expensive new toy" phase. It wasn't long ago similar arguments were being made between the Blackberry and Palm Treo, and we all know who won that one.

Viconi 07-29-2008 06:32 PM

I bought my wife the new iPhone 3g, it is a great device, fantastic actually not other phone can do what it can do. What I mean by that is how it makes you feel when your using it, its fun and sorta magic. That being said the magic gets real old after serious usage. Battery life is much less than any berry I have everused.

Blackberrys get business done faster, the OS continues to improve. Email is still the blackberry's specialty. (Changing email boxes is horrible on the iPhone) Still no real push for the iPhone but greatly improved from the first OS.

But dude why are you coming here, I highly doubt you had your curve for more than 6 months and if you did you may need a phone with an easier OS and some status to boost your self esteem.

juwaack68 07-29-2008 06:46 PM

I'm sure the iPhone is great for those people who like the features it has. Just like a BlackBerry is great for people who like the features it has. Two totally different devices.

Kinda like why one person will buy a car and one will buy a truck. They both get you from point A to point B, but the 'ride' is different for both.

One thing that I didn't see mentioned that I really like about a BlackBerry, that I haven't seen on other devices are the features that help you type - AutoText, holding a letter to capitalize it, pressing space twice for a period, etc. I couldn't switch to another device that didn't have at least those features.

Blackberryer 07-29-2008 07:45 PM

I'm a current iPhone 3G user who is planning on switching back to the Bold. I think my biggest problem with the iPhone and why I'm switching back is that while it's a great device, it just isn't finished yet. I'm tired of wondering if Apple will make something like copy/paste a priority. The lack of background processes means no real IM until they set up their PUSH system in September. I have no idea how or how well this will work for notification programs, but I have my doubts considering how terrible MobileMe has been implimented to start.

The App Store has actually been something of a disappointment as far as I'm concerned. Way too much crap to wade through to get to the few gems in there, and the gems themselves aren't that fantastic. Again, the lack of background processes running means To Do programs can't remind you when something is due, thus limiting their effectiveness. The games I don't care about at all.

This is not to crap all over the device. It is a fantastic device. THe possibilities are limitless and one day it's going to be the best mobile computing platform on the market - I have absolutely no doubt. But it's just not there yet.

So, I'm going to switch back to the Bold for at least the next year (or two.) I miss having real IM clients on my phone, task lists that remind me when a task needs to be done, and a flat out better phone (the 3G is much improved over the first one, but BB's are still better).

DataCentre 07-30-2008 12:37 AM

Drop your iPhone and break the glass.....$250 spent
Drop your BlackBerry and crack the plastic window.....$20 spent
Drop your pants cuz you don't know how to measure your waist size and wear a belt....PRICELESS

Haha

NJBlackBerry 07-30-2008 03:47 AM

Battery, battery, battery...
No one at Apple uses tasks.
Battery, battery, battery.

And don't tell me "the 3G BlackBerry will have bad battery life also" as I don't have a Bold. Yet.

netPOSER 07-30-2008 08:27 AM

Wow, an iPhone fanboi trolling... hmmmm...

How's that mobile.me thing working out for you?
And do you really get "push" email on the iPhone?
How about the White iPhones that are cracking?

And Apple has a long long way to go before it can touch a BB connected to a BES.

test54 07-30-2008 08:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by juwaack68 (Post 1038315)
I'm sure the iPhone is great for those people who like the features it has. Just like a BlackBerry is great for people who like the features it has. Two totally different devices.

Kinda like why one person will buy a car and one will buy a truck. They both get you from point A to point B, but the 'ride' is different for both.

One thing that I didn't see mentioned that I really like about a BlackBerry, that I haven't seen on other devices are the features that help you type - AutoText, holding a letter to capitalize it, pressing space twice for a period, etc. I couldn't switch to another device that didn't have at least those features.

Good perspective, different strokes for different folks.

And it does one of the two, it does the space twice for period but if you hold the letter button it opens up the international version of that letter if there is one or it does nothing.

NJ, I hear you about the battery i see that complaint alot. I do think they know that and will continue with updates to go after that one.

jsconyers 07-30-2008 08:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by netPOSER (Post 1038867)

And BlackBerry gets the title of crackberry (n) :razz:

mullrat1 07-30-2008 01:15 PM

Excuse my noobness but I also have both devices. I've had blackberries for a long time. To me just compare the first generation BB 850 in relation to its competition. Pretty standard two way text pager. Really it was nothing special. Compare that to Apple's first device, again in relation to current competition. As a previous poster put it, it isn't finished yet, but when it is, they have the potential of taking over. You see RIM only has one specialty in its business. Apple as seen in that keynote address has three. And they are focusing heavily on the iPhone and attempting to knock RIM off its perch as #1. In other words they are using the majority of their resources from the other two arms to fund iPhone R&D and sales. RIM is a one trick pony. (smart phones)

For me by far the better device is my curve. I have every feature imaginable on it that I would need. But as the 3rd party stuff on the iPhone has improved, I noticed that my curve's use time has decreased a decent amount.

The only way iPhone will go down is if Apple beats itself.

netPOSER 07-30-2008 01:22 PM

RIM is a "one trick pony"? Is that supposed to be bad?

And you can't compare RIM's first device to Apple's first device considering Apple introduce their first phone in 2007...way after the cell phone market matured. And Apple still didn't get it right. They forgot copy/paste, MMS, and a few other "standard/proven" features on most basic phones.

RIM came in and did email waaaaaaay before anyone else and didn't have a name like "Apple" (other than the fruit reference). Blackberry was built on performance and reliability not fancy marketing and coolness. Blackberry filled a void in the market whereas Apple is selling to mostly non-smartphone users.

Really, how many iPhone buyers are previous smartphone users?

Quote:

Originally Posted by mullrat1 (Post 1039208)
Excuse my noobness but I also have both devices. I've had blackberries for a long time. To me just compare the first generation BB 850 in relation to its competition. Pretty standard two way text pager. Really it was nothing special. Compare that to Apple's first device, again in relation to current competition. As a previous poster put it, it isn't finished yet, but when it is, they have the potential of taking over. You see RIM only has one specialty in its business. Apple as seen in that keynote address has three. And they are focusing heavily on the iPhone and attempting to knock RIM off its perch as #1. In other words they are using the majority of their resources from the other two arms to fund iPhone R&D and sales. RIM is a one trick pony. (smart phones)

For me by far the better device is my curve. I have every feature imaginable on it that I would need. But as the 3rd party stuff on the iPhone has improved, I noticed that my curve's use time has decreased a decent amount.

TheBigNewt 07-30-2008 01:56 PM

I'm considering an iPhone (or Bold). Tell me something: to get email pushed from different POP accounts on the iPhone do you have to have your pc running (tell me no please)? And tell me it just all shows up in messages and that I don't have to look at the different email accounts one at a time. An iPhone will alert you for a scheduled appointment on the screen right? I set my appointments right from the phone, I don't care about it synching from a pc. Can you shut it off at night and get an alarm in the morning? Finally, can you have MSN open/running and get notified when an IM message comes in while you're doing something else? Thanks in advance.........

dasunst3r 07-30-2008 02:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheBigNewt (Post 1039284)
I'm considering an iPhone (or Bold). Tell me something: to get email pushed from different POP accounts on the iPhone do you have to have your pc running (tell me no please)? And tell me it just all shows up in messages and that I don't have to look at the different email accounts one at a time. An iPhone will alert you for a scheduled appointment on the screen right? I set my appointments right from the phone, I don't care about it synching from a pc. Can you shut it off at night and get an alarm in the morning? Finally, can you have MSN open/running and get notified when an IM message comes in while you're doing something else? Thanks in advance.........

From my own experience, you do not need to have a PC turned on just to receive messages via your iPhone or a BlackBerry. Now, here are the things that the BlackBerry can do that I don't know if the iPhone can:
  • Show all your messages from all your email accounts under "Messages"
  • Alert you of a scheduled appointment on the screen
  • Set appointments on the device itself without syncing
  • Turn off, then turn back on when an alarm goes off
  • MSN (Windows Live Messenger) can be in the background and will alert you of a message

As a matter of fact, I don't know if the iPhone even supports MSN / Windows Live Messenger.

test54 07-30-2008 02:39 PM

iphone:
Cannot show messages in single folder -- they are seperated into accounts and number of new email is highlighted.
Can Alert you on the screen to appointment.
Can set appointment on the device without syncing.
Cannot as far as I know turn off then awaken for alarm.
IM in the background will be running a little differently but by Sept. Apple has promised to have this function working. So no for now but coming.
Apple has 3rd party apps for IM as of now and MSN is included as well as all the others on those apps.

Berry One 07-30-2008 08:11 PM

Quote:

I am writing this thread as a previous Blackberry Curve, and pearl owner.

can someone please justify how they hate on the iphone and think the blackberry is so much better?

My first blackberry was 950, pager-like device. Perhaps, I have more experience with blackberries than you do. Perhaps, it makes me harder to switch from something that just works for me to something else.

Personally, I don't hate iphone. I just ignore it. It does not bring me anything I can switch for.

I am glad you have found happiness in Jesus phone. One less unhappy or not so happy blackberry user - good for all of us.

mullrat1 07-31-2008 02:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by netPOSER (Post 1039219)
RIM is a "one trick pony"? Is that supposed to be bad?

And you can't compare RIM's first device to Apple's first device considering Apple introduce their first phone in 2007...way after the cell phone market matured. And Apple still didn't get it right. They forgot copy/paste, MMS, and a few other "standard/proven" features on most basic phones.

RIM came in and did email waaaaaaay before anyone else and didn't have a name like "Apple" (other than the fruit reference). Blackberry was built on performance and reliability not fancy marketing and coolness. Blackberry filled a void in the market whereas Apple is selling to mostly non-smartphone users.

Really, how many iPhone buyers are previous smartphone users?

Not too many. I would say that most iPhone users came from a regular cellphone. They are usually not looking for smart phone features in it. Basically most of them want an ipod phone that can play games and the like. The point in my post is that RIM's first device was not revolutionary compared to the competition at that point in time, which I made clear on my post. The iPhone is quite revolutionary comparing it to other phones in the market again at this point in time. RIM's email prowess has been copied (not very well) and I anticipate that the iPhone will also be copied ad nauseum over the next few months and years.

By the way, apple doesn't forget anything. They restrict. They're restricting copy/paste MMS and A2P because they are arrogant. They believe people will continue to buy their products and upgrade them as new features are released. For every apple product that I have, I feel almost like I'm borrowing it from Steve Jobs. I don't truly own it because of its many restrictions.

test54 07-31-2008 03:34 PM

mullrat, kind of like how RIM puts out the same phone in 5 version because they do not want to release the full model till the end of the product's life cycle? I don't think it arrogance at all, it's called a business model.

their putting copy & paste i think is coming straight from the top, I think Jobs has not liked what he has been shown on the ways to implement it, but it will be included.
And it will be included free of charge without making anyone buy a new device.

People buy apple products for all the same reasons they buy anything else, its different for everyone. Apple puts those restrictions on their products because they feel that they want to control every aspect of the user experience. This works very well in their OS and reasonably well in the computers. They found that it did not work as well in the Phone so they made an adjustment with the apps, or atleast made it look like that.

Thats just my take on it. Business is Business and every company follows their model for success.

Insurgent 08-01-2008 04:30 AM

I think the people that want Blackberry's want them for different reasons than iPhones. Thats the nature of comparing the devices. The BlackBerry itself is a PDA/Phone hybrid with an emphasis on communication OTHER THAN voice. The iPhone is a phone/iPod with a computer-based OS and full Web 2.0 web browser, that like comparing apples and pears here.

To comment on what BlackBerrys can do that iPhones can't, there are so many seen as BlackBerrys aren't necessary just phones so they can do what a lot of phones cannot do, for example: Pin-to-Pin messaging. Apparently the Exchange features of the iPhone do not work as efficiently as on the BlackBerry devices, which isn't a surprise.

I know people with the iPhone that constantly tout how great the iPhone is, I'ved used the old one and when I'm ready, I'll have a spin on the 3G model but for me I'm not won over by touch screens and fancy looking OS. I'm more about functionality and abundance of features and connectivity. Also I like my devices to be customisable and more computer-like. For example, I want to be able to change my theme, remove my battery, browse my microSD card just like a removable disk, edit the documents on there and then email them. I like to be able to just type up a quick document on the move and set reminders for myself throughout the day and I'm not even a corporate user of a BlackBerry, in fact I've never owned one before. I've just noticed the things I want from a mobile device seem to be covered by the BlackBerry and covered pretty well at that.

The iPhone does many of these things but is more flashy, fancy and less open ended. It seems more for the fashion happy consumer who wants to "move with the times" than the genuine technology enthusiast (that actually uses the device than simply marvelling at the touch and swipe capabilities). Its the difference between purchasing a Mac and a PC to me, I don't want to copy my entire iTunes library (if I had one) to my phone to listen to a few songs. I want to be able to move a song across, then maybe bluetooth it to a laptop and/or receive another file and just add it to my list of songs as I go along, at ease. These things aren't possible on the iPhone, its just much too closed a device for me.

Bru433 08-03-2008 09:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alex Alexzander (Post 1037612)
I think the iPhone email experience is by far better....You don't have your PCs and Macs using a NOC to send email.

Somebody get this guy a message flow chart. I guess I could draw one up for you using pretty colors with sparkles and ribbons...

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alex Alexzander (Post 1037612)
As for security, I don't buy that the BB is so much better. The reality is simple. The iPhone works much the same way your corporate PC does in terms of email. The iPhone does not lower the overall security of your company. That's just grasping at straws in my opinion.

Also, try reading this :
http://www.resourcecenter.blackberry..._version_4.pdf

If one does not feel so inclined to do so, I'll give the points of interest:
S/MIME, PGP, AES, 3DES, Smart Cards, IT Policies (400+), SRP authentications and (my favourite) memory scrubbing!
Now I'm no rocket surgeon but i *think* those might say a few things about security? I could throw out a dozen or so more links but whats the point.

Ignorance really gets me...why post on a BlackBerry enthusiast forum and make claims, regardless of opinion, without at least knowing what you're talking about?

Alex Alexzander 08-03-2008 11:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bru433 (Post 1044083)
Somebody get this guy a message flow chart. I guess I could draw one up for you using pretty colors with sparkles and ribbons...

Also, try reading this :
http://www.resourcecenter.blackberry..._version_4.pdf

If one does not feel so inclined to do so, I'll give the points of interest:
S/MIME, PGP, AES, 3DES, Smart Cards, IT Policies (400+), SRP authentications and (my favourite) memory scrubbing!
Now I'm no rocket surgeon but i *think* those might say a few things about security? I could throw out a dozen or so more links but whats the point.

Ignorance really gets me...why post on a BlackBerry enthusiast forum and make claims, regardless of opinion, without at least knowing what you're talking about?

What exactly are you disputing? If I have exchange server and a PC client, the PC client is not getting email through a NOC. Your blackberry is, not your PC. My point is, because your PC and iPhone use the same method, it is no more or less secure. If you think that is not accurate, you're sadly mistaken. Your PC is going directly to your email server. If there is ignorance here, it is yours.

Alex

NJBlackBerry 08-03-2008 11:46 AM

Cool it or this thread gets closed PRONTO.

Alex Alexzander 08-03-2008 11:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NJBlackBerry (Post 1044190)
Cool it or this thread gets closed PRONTO.

Oh pardon me. I didn't think I came off as hostile at all. Sorry I am making sense. Close away. Wouldn't want the iPhone guy to make sense now would we?

Alex

NJBlackBerry 08-03-2008 11:52 AM

I was referring to both of you; don't take things so personally.

test54 08-03-2008 02:12 PM

"No longer Registered."

did u boot him or did he leave?
to boot would seem pretty harsh imo.

NJBlackBerry 08-03-2008 02:57 PM

He cursed me out in two PMs and asked to be banned.
It was silly and ridiculous. So he is no longer registered.

jeremyckitching 08-03-2008 03:47 PM

Wow! I didn't know these discussions could become so heated. Maybe there is an application in the Apple app store for him for stress relief...

NJBlackBerry 08-03-2008 03:54 PM

iStress?

kboyer 08-03-2008 04:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NJBlackBerry (Post 1044445)

I just can't imagine getting so heated over something so stupid. Life is too short. Some folks need to learn how to not sweat the small stuff. Moving on!

I was in the local Apple store in the mall today. I had an appointment to have a Touch replaced. It was so busy that they had a "Genius" at the door counting heads. He was only letting in people as others left so they wouldn't break fire code.

On a side note, semi related to 3G phones, I've now owned 3 iPod Touches in the last 7 months -- each has broken down or died. The latest one's Wi-Fi just stopped working suddenly. I've got to give it to Apple -- part of why they are successful is that their in-store customer service rocks. Their shit breaks down a lot, but they replace it without a hassle and the warranty clock starts all over again with the replacement.

NJBlackBerry 08-03-2008 04:45 PM

iBroke?

I've never had an iPod or iTouch break. We now have 11 iThings, including the iPhone 3G, and never had to return one. Good to know the warranty policy is good. Especially with that battery ;-)

test54 08-03-2008 07:36 PM

NJ, i understand then that he needed to go.

I've had 3 computers, 2 ipods and the original iphone and none have had any issues but i have heard the same thing about their in-store cs, its mainly very good.

nyte3k 08-04-2008 02:05 PM

I have an iphone 3G, which is an awesome device. And I also have a Curve, which i love as well. I prefer to use the BlackBerry, but both devices are great. One reason i like the Curve a little more is because i'm not really a touchscreen type of person. It's cool and everything and helps when it comes to some functionality, but overall, i prefer non-touch. (especially with typing).

Another thing I prefer about the BlackBerry (or maybe all non-iPhones) is from a development standpoint, i don't feel locked in. I don't like the control Apple has over the SDK, such as the AppStore being the ONLY way to distribute your appllication, no trial, apple having to approve your application, among other things.

Overall, both phones are great, with the iPhone leaning more towards the consumer end, and Blackberry leaning more towards the corporate end.

It will be interesting to see how this plays in the coming months... it appears RIM is trekking on Apple's turf more, than apple getting into RIM's territory, with devices such as Javelin, Thunder, and KickStart which would obviously appeal more towards consumers.

jsconyers 08-04-2008 02:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NJBlackBerry (Post 1044445)

This is unfortunate, I always enjoyed reading his debates on the iPhone vs BlackBerry, he seemed to be slightly biased for the iPhone, but for the most part he was pretty fair from the previous threads I've read. To get that upset doesn't make sense to me. Ohh well, the show must go on.

NJBlackBerry 08-04-2008 03:08 PM

The current iPhone reminds me of the early Java based BlackBerrys. It's incomplete. Things aren't always where you would expect them. The 5810 didn't have a user serviceable battery and had TERRIBLE battery life. Many of the iPhone issues (my word) can be fixed via software updates.

fxstsb 08-05-2008 07:50 AM

Quote:

I am writing this thread as a previous Blackberry Curve, and pearl owner. I noticed there are blackberry die hards all over this site and being a previous owner of one and now the owner of a Iphone 3g I wanted to confront those who love to " hate " on the Iphone. I ask you people this.... What on earth does ANY blackberry do that the iPhone doesnt do already or do 10x better?

Lets go down the list. Iphone goes up to 16gigs of available memory when you cant even expand the memory using a micro sd card on the blackberry to that big. So right there the iphone destroys the blackberry in available space to use for mp3's or photo's ect.

Moving on to size and design. First thing everyone who has a blackberry is going to say is the iphone is fragile. Yes ill be the first to say it is more fragile then a blackberry so if your looking to beat the hell out of your phone and not have a case for it then no its not the phone for you. But i see most blackberry users treat there phones as if there godly so i see no reason why it being a bit more fragile would be a problem. If anyone trys to say the iphone is not better looking then any blackberry even the bold ( who copied some of its design from the iphone ) has to be in pure denial. Blackberry has kept the same crude boxy design and change the colors and curves slightly with each phone but essentially keeping the boring ugly brick format. there latest innovation in years was moving from a track wheel to a track ball.

The internet. This is where the iphone single handedly blows the doors off any blackberry. First off the screen on the blackberry is so tiny and the graphics look like atari compared to the iphone. the webpages are modified and i dont care if its 3g or not ( which still isnt out yet for blackberry ) it will not look nor load the same speed as a iphone which is built for internet use. web pages come up fluidly and fast and identical to a pc rather then the 2 and half minute wait to get a shambled version of a webpage on a blackberry.

Next is all the affordable and extremely usable 3rd party and apple apps. you can download them right from your phone anywhere and for usually a reasonable price. unlike blackberry who requires u to hook up a cable to ur pc to download a 20 dollar alarm clock program

so what is the last hoorah for the blackberry. CORPORATE EMAIL. most people sign themselves up for it in the company to seem important barely using it but lets discuss this as if you really did need it and use it. Iphone now supports corporate email however not all companies are on to it yet so it may not be available. but once it catches on n it will, what happens to blackberries sole purpose? does the corporate email make the blackberry so great when it gets blown out on every single other option and feature? can someone please justify how they hate on the iphone and think the blackberry is so much better?

Well, th BB has removeable batteries and the Iphone has a tiny keyboard.

ashleyneiltaylor 08-05-2008 09:20 AM

Hmmm

A few things Blackberry support that iPhone doesn't...

Lotus Notes Push Email
Certificate based PEAP WiFi
Central Management

In other words many things the corporate would want (Not just users but Administrators)

Orbital199 08-05-2008 11:05 AM

I think it's really more of a debate over what the device is being used for. The iphone, in my opinion is a multimedia device that's not appropriate for large scale government companies.The iphone is youthful and trendy, and I'm not saying that in a bad way, it's yet another amazing apple product, but if we adopted that as a standard where I work it would be a nightmare seeing as our users are primarily of an older generation. There's also the problem of it's lack of security, and in a government job that's vital.

And you can't expect to post a thread about iphone vs. BlackBerry on a BlackBerry forum without getting replies in defense of the BlackBerry.

TheBigNewt 08-05-2008 12:05 PM

I realize there is the new 3rd party app iStore for the 3G. My question is: is that the only place one can get an app for it? On this forum people post links for their themes, new apps like the Colorball, stuff like that which can be free (or not). Is that going on for the iPhone or do you have to go through their Store only?

tpoon 08-05-2008 12:13 PM

The BB camera is of definite superior quality!

Happily syncing to BES with The Message Center Exchange Hosting

NJBlackBerry 08-05-2008 12:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheBigNewt (Post 1047078)
I realize there is the new 3rd party app iStore for the 3G. My question is: is that the only place one can get an app for it? On this forum people post links for their themes, new apps like the Colorball, stuff like that which can be free (or not). Is that going on for the iPhone or do you have to go through their Store only?

Apple restricts how (and where) you can download applications. Search for "jailbroken" to see what lengths people have gone to in order to download apps.

clubchucker 08-06-2008 03:31 PM

I'll be the first to say I'm not nearly as techno savvy as many here. So my main problem with the iPhone and/or the 3G? Plain and simple: AT&T. I've got some of my issues with Verizon (my carrier) and I'm definitely not a fanboy of Verizon, but you know what? Never been anywhere in the US where I haven't gotten a signal.

TheBigNewt 08-06-2008 03:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by clubchucker (Post 1049080)
I'll be the first to say I'm not nearly as techno savvy as many here. So my main problem with the iPhone and/or the 3G? Plain and simple: AT&T. I've got some of my issues with Verizon (my carrier) and I'm definitely not a fanboy of Verizon, but you know what? Never been anywhere in the US where I haven't gotten a signal.

Yeah, ATT 3g coverage isn't as good as Vzn's EVDO 3g, but it's getting better and it's in most major cities now. I've been plenty of places where I can't get Vzn. I've got Tmob now, but if I can't get them I can roam ATT so that expands things a lot. I don't know for sure if you can't get ATT will your phone then roam to Tmobile?
As for the 3rd party apps for the iPhone I guess the new store is better than nothing, but if Apple controls the pursestrings I can't imagine getting anything very useful without having to pay for it. True, you have to pay for BB stuff too, but you can always hope it's free.

NJBlackBerry 08-06-2008 03:57 PM

No.. An iPhone on AT&T will not roam to T-Mobile for 3G. Their frequencies are different <gulp>.

That's why unlocking an iPhone really won't buy you much (assuming you could unlock a 3G iPhone, which you can't).

TheBigNewt 08-06-2008 04:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NJBlackBerry (Post 1049129)
No.. An iPhone on AT&T will not roam to T-Mobile for 3G. Their frequencies are different <gulp>.

That's why unlocking an iPhone really won't buy you much (assuming you could unlock a 3G iPhone, which you can't).

Got it, but how about 2g (I can't get ATT 3g where I like in AZ)? If I run out of coverage on ATT will I roam to Tmob 2g? I really don't think I need 3g very often, I live without it now. I don't browse much at all and mostly for sports scores and news blurbs.

NJBlackBerry 08-06-2008 04:20 PM

If it is an area with weak coverage, no roaming. If, for example, AT&T has NO coverage in an area, they may have a roaming agreement in place. Not that common.

It is not like outside of the US, where you have a choice of carriers...

joeygator 08-06-2008 11:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mullrat1 (Post 1039208)

Comparing to the 850 is unreasonable. This was a device that only did data! And it wasn't on the cellular network. Not a fair comparison. The only comverged device at that time that I can recall was called Simon from BellSouth Mobility. What a flop! I love the functions of the iPhone, but I want to do business, not music, pictures, etc. Oh, and can you tether with the iPhone?

Sorry I was a little late on this thought!

test54 08-07-2008 08:06 AM

you can tether with iphone if you were lucky enough to get the netshare app when it was in the app store. The developers say they are working with apple to get it back. It basically turns your iphone into a wifi router i believe.

DallasFlier 08-07-2008 04:25 PM

The iPhone absolutely has some truly wonderful capabilities. It just doesn't excel at what I carry a mobile phone/PDA for. My priorities, in order are:
  1. Excellent phone
  2. Push email
  3. Flexible apps with the ability to make it do other useful things
  4. Web browser
  5. Multimedia ("iPod") device

The iPhone's rank ordered list of best to worst features are:
  1. Multimedia ("iPod") device
  2. Web browser
  3. Flexible apps with the ability to make it do other useful things
  4. Push email
  5. Excellent phone

That, in a nutshell, is why I continue to carry the BlackBerry, and will for the foreseeable future. Pretty simple! If you want a world class phone and push email device with passable web browsing and multimedia, get a BlackBerry. If you want a world class multimedia and web browsing device with a passable phone and email, get an iPhone.

H-Tub 08-07-2008 05:14 PM

WOW...Glad this thread was started makes my option to which one to get.....Of course BB WINS...Thanks to All look out BOLD cuz u will be mine LOL..

dragon_fly 08-09-2008 07:44 PM

The problem with Iphone is battery. It does not last long enough due to big screen.

Blackbery: durable, fast typing, weakness: no wifi until bold come out. Small screen, can't not see pdf file or attachment well

Iphone: sexy, not sure durable, so far I put it behind my pocket jumping around (have not drop it yet), it work fine. Battery can't last for more than 7 hours. Picture taken is very clear, can zoom on web site, wifi (a plus for now).

Different use, different need. Iphone: entertainment, rapid respond with attachment. I want to see the bold before I judge it

Berry One 08-09-2008 08:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dragon_fly (Post 1053477)
Blackbery weakness: no wifi until bold come out.

I should tell my blackberry 8820 that it only think it has WiFi. :smile:

LovinLife22608 08-09-2008 09:42 PM

If my iPhone screen wasn't cracked right now, and it didn't cost 250 to replace that, then I'd be using that instead of the 8100. But after using the 8100 for a week I was sold. I don't think I'll go back to iPhone or Sidekick.

DacyJ 08-09-2008 09:47 PM

I was having a issue with my friends truck and needed to send a picture but he has a iPhone and cant receive pictures. No mms on a iPhone?

danedel 08-10-2008 03:54 PM

I think this video pretty much sums it up...

YouTube - iPhone vs BlackBerry

Frank Castle 08-12-2008 10:19 AM

How many times are we going to have a thread about this? Too bad Alex went off the deep end as he did have some good thoughts around mobility. Although his PC against exchange misses the entire point of mobile security:

The PC doesn't walk out the door with you!!

Outside of Good server - nothing matches Blackberry from a security / policy / management perspective and when I have to control 3000+ devices THAT matters .. sure SCMDM2007 is coming along but it's a seperate CAL, while BES is a nice all in one box that provides all the great things Blackberry can do AND provide the security I'd say the majority of companies require. Apple has nothing to offer device encryption, device policy to say lock down the camera or loading of Super Monkey ball etc. Frankly I don't see them ever having this unless they license the FULL activesync API set. The SDK could be used but Apple has locked down all this type of functionality. They want this to be like the Ipod and have total control and that isn't going to work in the corporate world. We don't feed the Apple Ecosystem.

I don't need to list out every feature of either device and because one has more / better features it makes it the "winner" .. if that were the case everyone would be using Windows Mobile. Blackberry is a very well put together device that just works. It is engineered to provide workflow improvements and 99% of the functionality can be done one handed (try doing that with a iphone). So combine all that with the BES and what it provides and it's rock solid. OS 4.5 makes the "email is better on the iphone" point negated as HTML / rich content email basically looks the same now.

Also wanted to touch on the 857 vs Iphone .. don't even understand the simularities but it does show how far (and fast) mobility has matured. The Iphone is not possible 3 years ago .. the network as well the cost to build / sell was just not at the level. Likely it was in development for a good 3 years prior to launch. Mobile devices change every 6 months and Blackberry is set to release 3 new devices across every carrier on the planet over the next few months. Apple is limited to At&t in the states and one device (different memory configures). Considering all the things RIM is juggling I'd say they are doing better if you consider the issues lately on Iphone with OS stability, App Store, and MobileME crashes.

TheBigNewt 08-12-2008 06:14 PM

I just got familiar with the Javelin. Now that's what I'm talking about! Beats the Bold in screen, camera, keyboard, double the ram, battery, profile. Has Wifi (who needs 3g really if you have that?), and gps. Just get it out RIM.

ubizmo 08-15-2008 04:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by juwaack68 (Post 1038315)

The Sidekick has always had auto-text, and I wouldn't consider buying a mobile device that doesn't have it. It's just too important. The other typing conveniences are nice too, although I still prefer the Sidekick's double click system for setting caps lock and alt lock. In comparison to either device, text entry on the iPhone is unbearable. For those of us who make extensive use of the text-entry apps, these are priority features.

Valrio 08-15-2008 04:34 PM

I had an iPhone for 25 days and ATT service was soo bad I returned it but I do believe it was the iPhone since a lot of friends on ATT with different phones had no problems. 90% of my calls were dropped. I love some of the iPhone features as well as some of the Blackberry features (I have the 8330) but have come to the conclusion there is no perfect phone.....YET! I really mised copy and paste.....hated the iPhone keyboard....love the Blackberry keyboard - especially the ability to capitalize a letter by just holding down the key. Loved the iPhone screen - hated the Apple arrogance.

TheBigNewt 08-16-2008 03:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Valrio (Post 1061583)
I had an iPhone for 25 days and ATT service was soo bad I returned it but I do believe it was the iPhone since a lot of friends on ATT with different phones had no problems. 90% of my calls were dropped.

You are not alone. Dropped calls on the 3g iPhone is a problem for a lot of people. ATT won't admit to it but it's all over the place. Seems the 3g network is the culprit and the phone loses signal even if you're standing still. The 2g is fine. Go figure. I think they'd better admit to the problem and then fix it and publish their solution. I can't deal with dropped calls. No 3g for me!

gqstatus05 02-07-2009 10:38 PM

The new iPhone update fixed the drop call issues. I get one every once in a blue moon.

fxstsb 02-20-2009 10:38 AM

Iphone sucks

Take you BB and Iphone and BB down to the Bahamas and turn them both on. Which one will cost $100 more? Like that tiny touchpad?

Chevyguy 02-25-2009 09:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheBigNewt (Post 1062520)
You are not alone. Dropped calls on the 3g iPhone is a problem for a lot of people. ATT won't admit to it but it's all over the place. Seems the 3g network is the culprit and the phone loses signal even if you're standing still. The 2g is fine. Go figure. I think they'd better admit to the problem and then fix it and publish their solution. I can't deal with dropped calls. No 3g for me!

Had my iPhone now for some time, call it luck but I have not had a single dropped call yet, guess it depends on geographical area .... surprised to see so many people talking about capitalization, correction, copy and paste, and space twice for a period ?? The iPhone easily accommodates all of this with ease. OS stability and crashes not an issue at all on iPhone, compared to constant random reboots and freezing on my BB Curve and Bold !

Chevyguy 02-25-2009 09:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fxstsb (Post 1292502)
Take you BB and Iphone and BB down to the Bahamas and turn them both on. Which one will cost $100 more? Like that tiny touchpad?

Have never been to the Bahamas, not likely to happen for a while. I base comparisons with devices on a local coverage simulation, LOL... Bahamas !?!

Papadisco 06-12-2009 03:55 PM

ATT Overseas

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chevyguy (Post 1299585)
Have never been to the Bahamas, not likely to happen for a while. I base comparisons with devices on a local coverage simulation, LOL... Bahamas !?!

Fair enough, but it's worth checking for those who travel a lot. A buddy of mine got an ATT global data plan specifically because he was going to Vietnam. Turns out Vietnam wasn't included even though the sales staff thought otherwise. The datastream on his iPhone cost him over $1,000/day over there. I took my BB (also on ATT) but got very little additional data charges because of the way BB compresses data and because it doesn't automatically download everything on an incoming message/attachment. Yeah, I know, in a perfect world you'd be able to see a message on your smartphone just as you'd see it on your computer, but until that data comes for free . . .

Meanwhile, I got my BB 9000 with some trepidation about being locked into ATT's 3G network and suffering the same dropped calls that my iPhone friends were suffering. Turned out to be no problem at all. I've had the 9000 for 8 weeks now with 0 dropped calls while my damn friends keep calling me on their freakin' iPhones with lousy connections and constant drops. I'd heard it was the ATT network being unable to handle the huge, uncompressed data the iPhone lives off of, but maybe it's a device problem as well?

I travel with a Mac and love the Apple products, but just couldn't live with the touchscreen and the problematic email/data when in remote corners of the world.

brbishop 06-26-2009 11:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Papadisco (Post 1405017)
Fair enough, but it's worth checking for those who travel a lot. A buddy of mine got an ATT global data plan specifically because he was going to Vietnam. Turns out Vietnam wasn't included even though the sales staff thought otherwise. The datastream on his iPhone cost him over $1,000/day over there.

A friend of mine went to Toronto for the weekend and was faced with the same thing. Had over $1600 for two days in Toronto using IPhone.

Here are a couple of other things that I don't think were discussed...

Since IPhone is an AT&T phone (I know there are ways around this... but for the most part AT&T) the IPhone is very expensive in data plan and talk.

I have been with TMo forever and I am now on a plan for two phones unlimited everything (except texts...we only get 400 texts each) and it is costing me $152/month out the door with taxes and everything. The IPhone plan for unlimited everything would be hundreds of dollars more per month.

The Blackberry is a great phone and so is the new IPhone. I am glad they are pushing each other. However, like another person here, I use the BB Tasks so much that I couldn't live without it. I have close to 300 tasks on mine and it is great that I can sort by category.

Good luck either way you go.8-)

gadgetfanatic 06-26-2009 04:43 PM

.......to each his/her own. Right now I am enjoying the iphone. For 3 years prior to getting an iphone I was a complete Blackberry fanatic. In a year or 2 maybe I'll be enjoying something else. Variety is the spice of life and if you close your mind to new and different things the world will pass you by and you won't even know it. Live a little BB peeps.

ArgonNJ 06-27-2009 11:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gadgetfanatic (Post 1415840)
.......to each his/her own. Right now I am enjoying the iphone. For 3 years prior to getting an iphone I was a complete Blackberry fanatic. In a year or 2 maybe I'll be enjoying something else. Variety is the spice of life and if you close your mind to new and different things the world will pass you by and you won't even know it. Live a little BB peeps.

(y)

Papadisco 06-29-2009 05:17 PM

BB Doesn't Own Me, Nor does Apple

As Argon points out in his tagline, there's a natural evolution to all the gadgets we use. I'm on the BB 9000 today and I picked it for very particular reasons that would not be relevant to everyone. The iPhone is a beautiful piece of equipment but I can't use it for what I need today. That situation obviously won't last forever.

iPhone needs its cellular bandwidth to perform like a wifi connection in order to deliver data in the way the iPhone likes it. For right now cellular just can't keep up with iPhone. But that won't last forever. My other gripe is the softkey interface but that now has also been solved (there's an aftermarket keyboard that plugs into the iPhone).

The BB is bulletproof for global travel because it compresses its data to fit over the cellular networks. While you won't get the beautiful presentation of your laptop (or iPhone) on WiFi, you will get your email and that's great. I guess the BB's operating system is an advantage for now, and for as long as the world's cellular network is bandwidth constrained, but that won't be forever will it?

When the network can keep up with the iPhone (and they let you change the battery and don't charge so much for all the decorative HTML that's coming with your email!) then I will definitely look at one. For now it's the BB9000 and MissingSync which allows BB to sync with my MacBook Pro seamlessly.

Edriss 08-05-2009 12:21 AM

vventimiglia,
I got an iPhone 3G as an upgrade from a Palm Device, the next day my wife was a proud owner! Don't get me wrong it is a great device, but it is a toy with some productivity options!

1. Just wondering when you take pictures on your iPhone, how do you move all of them on your computer to access later?
2. Notes on your iPhone Do not sync with Outlook, or any other method to edit or change!
3. Security, Security, Security my friend. If my BB is lost or stolen, i can wipe it and transferred all the data to a new device in less than 15min (calendar, notes, contacts, everything!!!). They cannot do anything and that phone will no longer have any confidential info. Oh BTW this is all remotely done using the BB BES, BPS. NO USB, or slow BT.
4. Business use. I can track all text, calls, emails, calendar, when the phone was turned off, when it was turned off, where it is now, etc...
5. Now you have copy and paste, but what about editing PP, word and excel documents for free!? It is included in my BB, now you can read them, but got to pay for the App now.

So what is your point, browsing the web and listing to music, oh and play a few game, or business tool?

iPhone is like using a hammer to fasten a screw, it will work but much harder and it looks bad!

Edriss 08-05-2009 12:31 AM

OH YEAH, BTW no need for cell reception to use GPS on my BB Bold!

test54 08-05-2009 08:23 AM

To each there own. Plenty of Business gets done daily on iPhones.

BTW - #1 is pretty easy, if you had ever sync'd an iphone you know the answer. Also you can mass email the pictures as well.

ArgonNJ 08-05-2009 10:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Edriss (Post 1445217)
vventimiglia,
I got an iPhone 3G as an upgrade from a Palm Device, the next day my wife was a proud owner! Don't get me wrong it is a great device, but it is a toy with some productivity options!

1. Just wondering when you take pictures on your iPhone, how do you move all of them on your computer to access later?
2. Notes on your iPhone Do not sync with Outlook, or any other method to edit or change!
3. Security, Security, Security my friend. If my BB is lost or stolen, i can wipe it and transferred all the data to a new device in less than 15min (calendar, notes, contacts, everything!!!). They cannot do anything and that phone will no longer have any confidential info. Oh BTW this is all remotely done using the BB BES, BPS. NO USB, or slow BT.
4. Business use. I can track all text, calls, emails, calendar, when the phone was turned off, when it was turned off, where it is now, etc...
5. Now you have copy and paste, but what about editing PP, word and excel documents for free!? It is included in my BB, now you can read them, but got to pay for the App now.

So what is your point, browsing the web and listing to music, oh and play a few game, or business tool?

iPhone is like using a hammer to fasten a screw, it will work but much harder and it looks bad!

#3 If your iphone is connected to Exchange you can also remote wipe the device just as easily as you can with a BB. And by the way you can't connect your BB to exchange unless your company is using BES. With the iphone you can connect to Exchange out of the box without any other software. Way to come right of the box on your second post calling the iphone a toy. You are well on your way to fanboi status!

DallasFlier 08-06-2009 12:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ArgonNJ (Post 1445889)
And by the way you can't connect your BB to exchange unless your company is using BES.

False. My BB is connected to my company's (Exchange server) email system, and is so efficient that if I'm sitting at my desk in front of my computer new emails arrive on my BlackBerry before they arrive on Outlook.
Quote:

Originally Posted by ArgonNJ (Post 1445889)
Way to come right of the box on your second post calling the iphone a toy. You are well on your way to fanboi status!

I wouldn't call it a toy, that's admittedly a bad way to refer it just because you don't prefer it - but calling him a "fanboi" when you yourself are probably the #1 iPhone "fanboi" on BB forums is as much out of order as him callling your beloved iPhone a toy.

knottyrope 08-06-2009 03:46 PM

Convertable vs Hardtop.
PC vs MAC
Ford vs Chevy
Harley vs rice
etc. vs etc.

Its all about what you like. Enjoy your device but dont force it upon everyone.

Samsung a637 FTW!

ArgonNJ 08-07-2009 02:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DallasFlier (Post 1446262)
False. My BB is connected to my company's (Exchange server) email system, and is so efficient that if I'm sitting at my desk in front of my computer new emails arrive on my BlackBerry before they arrive on Outlook.

I guess I should have said connect to Exchange with folder, contact and calendar support. While it is true you connect to an exchange server through IMAP and BIS, all you get is new email, nothing else. The iphone uses Active Sync which gives you all your folders, plus contact and calendar sync with the server.