BlackBerry Forums Support Community

BlackBerry Forums Support Community (http://www.blackberryforums.com/index.php)
-   General 9000 Series Discussion - Bold (http://www.blackberryforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=106)
-   -   Latest OS: 9000 5.0.0.661/5.0.0.411 (English +East Asian) (http://www.blackberryforums.com/showthread.php?t=215681)

Raptor464 01-05-2010 12:04 AM

Latest OS: 9000 5.0.0.661/5.0.0.411 (English +East Asian)

BlackBerry Handheld Software v5.0.0.661 (EastAsia and Multilanguage)

Package Version: 5.0.0.661
Consisting of:

* Applications: 5.0.0.411
* Software Platform: 5.2.0.33
* File name: 9000jEastAsia_PBr5.0.0_rel661_PL5.2.0.33_A5.0.0.41 1_Bell_Mobility_Inc.exe
* File size: 118.43MB

Note: The Software Platform and Applications version numbers can be found under Options-About screen on the handheld.

* Download Software:
Multilanguage version OS: https://www.blackberry.com/Downloads...38397FABBA902E
EastAsian version OS: https://www.blackberry.com/Downloads...646D38BC2145CA

1. Download the above OS file to the PC then install it to the PC by running (double clicking) the file you downloaded.
2. Go to c:\program files\common files\research in motion\apploader and delete the file named "vendor.xml."
3. Plug in BB and double click on "Loader.exe." It's located in the same place as the above vendor.xml file.

The process takes about 45 minutes to an hour depending on how much data you have to backup and restore during the process. Once it's done loading the new OS it will reboot (it may do this twice during the entire process.) You will see a white screen with an hourglass for up to 20 minutes at a time while the AppLoader says "waiting for initialization."
If, for some reason, you end up with a white screen with small icons and the number 507, simply connect to the PC again and run Loader.exe again and it should load the OS to the device.

Previous OS version: http://www.blackberryforums.com/gene...n-english.html

JSanders 01-05-2010 12:16 AM

Stickied, thanks!

The first official OS v5 for the 9000

Raptor464 01-05-2010 12:20 AM

Wirelessly posted

That's right! Took long enough. Don't know why they went with 411 as official. But hey, its a decent build. Could use a little work in the memory management department. But boot up time is great. About 1:45 for me :)

BlackBerry-Q8 01-05-2010 12:45 AM

i'm using the same OS with same Platform as Beta OS one month ago!:?

means my os is official ?

ibodybuild 01-05-2010 02:16 AM

That's awesome.

Do you guys know when Rogers is coming out the this 5.0 OS?

MaxPayne79 01-05-2010 02:31 AM

ubber excited yey!
is this any different then the .411 beta that most of us have been using till now?

darkamikaze 01-05-2010 03:11 AM

ahh a little late for christmas present but this will do.. will do it asap when i wake up..

mic6 01-05-2010 03:22 AM

non multilanguage???

big disappoitment

phayes72 01-05-2010 03:25 AM

No Visual Voicemail.

sokaik80 01-05-2010 04:26 AM

ya..izzit any different from .411 beta?

TTsoldier 01-05-2010 06:39 AM

If you're running the .411 beta , no need to upgrade.

This update doesn't even fix the camera bug with only two buttons working.

Poor.

mic6 01-05-2010 07:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TTsoldier (Post 1541082)
If you're running the .411 beta , no need to upgrade.

This update doesn't even fix the camera bug with only two buttons working.

Poor.

so it has greek like the beta version?

tankee531 01-05-2010 08:20 AM

Wirelessly posted

Upgraded ... Thanks :D

bdj6020 01-05-2010 10:23 AM

I'm really disappointed that this official release doesn't differ at all from the beta release of the same version. I.e. camera bugs and no VVM.

Raptor464 01-05-2010 10:59 AM

Of course it doesn't differ...its the same exact thing as the beta

mic6 01-05-2010 11:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Raptor464 (Post 1541229)
Of course it doesn't differ...its the same exact thing as the beta

no its not
beta is multilanguage this one is not

stevielive 01-05-2010 12:35 PM

...remain happy with the .411 (beta now official) build. Glad I waited for the current strongest 9000 OS! Camera bug doesn't bother me as I can get by. Took the vvm cods from 9700's OS, works great (Search-you'll find exactly what cods are needed for vvm). Stay strong, don't panic, be patient, search these forums for mostly all BB answers and have a great 2010!

Raptor464 01-05-2010 01:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mic6 (Post 1541251)
no its not
beta is multilanguage this one is not

wow...like a few language files make that big of a difference....

MaxPayne79 01-05-2010 01:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Raptor464 (Post 1541298)

I think that was a joke statement. Or at least it sounded like one, lol

mic6 01-05-2010 01:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Raptor464 (Post 1541298)

it does for me and thousands of people

also this official release takes more memory than the beta one

siliconvalley785 01-05-2010 02:04 PM

Any AT&T users using this have the MEdia Net and Browser icons, but both of which are taking you to the MEdia Net browser (with the AT&T World Phone logo) regardless of which icon is selected?

Ideas on how to fix?

Pritesh

spenillo 01-05-2010 02:42 PM

This is how I just fixed it, after upgrading to this new OS!

AT&T Browser not working via OS 5.0? Follow these steps to fix.. | PocketBerry

spenillo 01-05-2010 02:55 PM

I just upgraded my OS. It feels a lot quicker! Viewing pictures seems to load a 1,000 times faster. The upgrade told me I needed to update AIM and Blackberry Appworld. It was all automatic with a few clicks within the blackberry after the OS was loaded.

The camera does have that problem everyone else is mentioning, but it still takes pictures and you can turn on and off the flash (which is all I use). I had to restinall the new Blackberry Messenger 5.0 from the appworld. Make sure you save your contacts! So far so good!:smile:

devnull 01-05-2010 03:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by spenillo (Post 1541362)

AT&T Browser not working via OS 5.0? Follow these steps to fix.. | PocketBerry

Wow - An official OS release that requires the browser/VVM fixes and still has the non-functioning camera buttons. Something just doesn't seem right. :?

ibodybuild 01-05-2010 04:42 PM

Does the battery life improve?

tamazoid 01-05-2010 05:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ibodybuild (Post 1541444)
Does the battery life improve?

I can't tell yet... But my application memory starts off at just under 17mb after a battery pull... I'm not running too many apps... It is because some apps don't work too well with OS 5?

miamirulz29 01-05-2010 06:20 PM

Can you still use regular voicemail if this version does not include visual voicemail?

darkamikaze 01-05-2010 06:22 PM

maybe RIM put up the wrong 9000 OS update D: !

jimfraser 01-05-2010 07:31 PM

For an official version, it seems pretty rough. I surprised this was officially released with all its flaws. I think I will wait.
How much memory does this OS take compared to previous 4.6 OS's, particularly .303? I have lots of 3rd party programs and regualary get down to 17 mg in a few days. I note that Bold 9700 which comes with OS 5.0 as the native OS has twice the program memory.
Also, I am a little nervious with how all my third party programs will work with OS 5.0.
The bottom line is, except for 5.0 being the newest OS for the Bold, what advantages does OS 5.0 currently have over 4.6?

darkamikaze 01-05-2010 07:52 PM

mm the icons missing after you take a picture isn't too bad considering the same options is available when you click the menu button..
got VVM back using army knife..
and the ol browser through old CODs..
although my problem now is that the browser seems sloooow

tankee531 01-05-2010 08:03 PM

upgraded mine about 15hrs ago .... just encountered the first self-reboot.

battery seems to drain faster than 4.6 but perhaps due to heavy usage (checking out 5.0 features) thus need further monitoring.

tamazoid 01-05-2010 08:16 PM

Ok... I re-installed most of my apps, and it was good for a while... And after being on for a couple hours, I'm getting major memory leak! I'm sitting around 12mb for some reason, and it fluctuate between 12-14 while I'm using it... I'm not sure if it's my apps or what... But they all seem to work... And no, I don't have them all opened.

Hopefully a better version comes out soon! I'm not going to bother downgrading. I can bare using it like this... It's not like I'm getting the hour glass or anything. Everything works really fast anyways!

the-economist 01-06-2010 05:22 AM

Wirelessly posted

I've been using 411 on beta for a while now and it has been alright. Boot times slashed in half and those nasty reboots of the previous beta builds when changing from edge to 3G seem to have gone away.

I really didn't expect 411 to go official with such an obvious bug in the camera that greys two buttons out and only allows for a photo to either be taken or mailed. Its so THERE even for the common man which makes it even more unbelievable that a release team of trained engineers missed it. (Or chose to ignore it.) Not sure which one of the two is worse.

mic6 01-06-2010 06:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by the-economist (Post 1541705)
Wirelessly posted

I've been using 411 on beta for a while now and it has been alright. Boot times slashed in half and those nasty reboots of the previous beta builds when changing from edge to 3G seem to have gone away.

I really didn't expect 411 to go official with such an obvious bug in the camera that greys two buttons out and only allows for a photo to either be taken or mailed. Its so THERE even for the common man which makes it even more unbelievable that a release team of trained engineers missed it. (Or chose to ignore it.) Not sure which one of the two is worse.

the camera bug is not a problem
just click on the menu button after you take a pic and you have all options there

mic6 01-06-2010 07:12 AM

after trying both the beta and official .411 i have to admit that the beta version is much better

battery life and memory is better, love the extra input languages and the phone is overall faster with no reboots at all

wifi works better too (I think there is a bug on the official version)

jweinraub 01-06-2010 09:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by darkamikaze (Post 1541544)
mm the icons missing after you take a picture isn't too bad considering the same options is available when you click the menu button..
got VVM back using army knife..
and the ol browser through old CODs..
although my problem now is that the browser seems sloooow

how? i have army knife, used cods from older version, i get icon installed, but i get an error when i try to provision it, 122 Error Invalid Number. Please resend using a valid 10 digit mobile number or valid short code. Activate:Dt=6

Klotar 01-06-2010 12:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by devnull (Post 1541391)
Wow - An official OS release that requires the browser/VVM fixes and still has the non-functioning camera buttons. Something just doesn't seem right. :?

Since Bell Mobility does not have VMM, it's release won't have VMM. And so when a VMM-enabled carrier releases an OS, the first thing I do is get rid of the VMM files. As for the browser, that seems to be somewhat carrier specific too. I have never had to do a browser fix, whether I wiped and reinstalled or did an upgrade from a 4.6 or a 5.0. Seems to be more AT&T specific, but that might just be because of more AT&T posters.

The camera bug, is a different matter. There is also an SMS bug in .411 but I have only seen it once (after the upgrade but before getting any new SMS's), but I deleted all my SMS's and haven't seen it since on new SMS's.

As carrier's approve and release these new OS's, they are tested against their network, not yours and mine (well, unless we happen to be on that network, of course). It could very well be "the best OS evah!", but not so hot for you and I. As users of leaks and OS's from other carriers, we are using OS's that may not be optimized for use on our networks.

Remember the unreleased 5.0.0.348 and how it wouldn't work on any AT&T Bold (reboot loop)? It worked perfectly for me, no reboots -- everything functioned perfectly -- for me, it was the best of all the 5.0 OS's (I'll probably go back to that one when I have time).

celly 01-06-2010 04:02 PM

I'm glad you guys all confirmed that the Bell version of the "official" is no different than the Beta. No need to do the update yet as the Beta is working just fine for me. It's a good sign that their is an official 5.0 for the 9000 now. More will follow I'm sure.

MaxPayne79 01-06-2010 07:58 PM

i think its worth an update. There was a pretty long gap between the .411 beta and .411 official so maybe they fixed small things that aren't so obvious upon initial use. like hopefully they optimized memory use and a few other small things. After all, it is an official release and u can finally get out of the "beta" section and into where every one else is and help out the newbies with OS 5.0. I don't know, thats the best i could come up with, lol.

celly 01-06-2010 11:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MaxPayne79 (Post 1542217)
i think its worth an update. There was a pretty long gap between the .411 beta and .411 official so maybe they fixed small things that aren't so obvious upon initial use. like hopefully they optimized memory use and a few other small things. After all, it is an official release and u can finally get out of the "beta" section and into where every one else is and help out the newbies with OS 5.0. I don't know, thats the best i could come up with, lol.

I agree. I'm actually installing it as I post this. I hope I don't regret it. :cry:

tankee531 01-07-2010 12:26 AM

second self-reboot in less than 48hrs since upgrade.

battery indicator seems erratic. I had about 50% (based on displayed picture) but after 30min or so, battery became flat or about 5%. But when I plugged in the charger, the battery status immediately jumped back up to 35%.

darkamikaze 01-07-2010 01:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jweinraub (Post 1541786)
how? i have army knife, used cods from older version, i get icon installed, but i get an error when i try to provision it, 122 Error Invalid Number. Please resend using a valid 10 digit mobile number or valid short code. Activate:Dt=6

RAWR. So this is how I did it.
First you'll need the 9700 OS installed in your comp :-o
(I used 5.0.0.680/5.0.0.423)
Connect BB to computer.
Then OPEN BBSAK
and click Read System
if you find any
net_rim_bb_vvm.....cod of any kind highlight it, and click delete COD(s).

Let your BB reboot and what not. but while it's rebooting..
navigate to
[Win7/Vista]
C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Research In Motion\Shared\Loader Files\9700EastAsia_v5.0.0.423_P5.1.0.116\Java
[WinXP]
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Research In Motion\Shared\Loader Files\9700EastAsia_v5.0.0.423_P5.1.0.116\Java

and find

net_rim_bb_vvm.cod
net_rim_bb_vvm_alu_http_lib.cod
net_rim_bb_vvm_help__en.cod
net_rim_bb_vvm_resource.cod
net_rim_bb_vvm_resource__en.cod
net_rim_bb_vvm_resource_114.cod
net_rim_bb_vvm_resource_114__en.cod
net_rim_bb_vvm_resource114.cod
net_rim_bb_vvm_settings_lib.cod

I know some people don't like keeping help files but I do. so it's your choice.

Once you find those vvm files copy it and paste it in a folder easy to navigate to.
I copied mine in C:/Program Files (x86)/BBSAK/CODs/VVM/
because it's just easier for me.

Hopefully your done rebooting cause I know it takes forever.
Once again open your BBSAK and click INSTALL COD's
go ahead and navigate to where you copied those vvm files and install!
wala let your thing reinstall and reboot.. and hopefully all goes well
I had to do a bunch of reboots cause of all the mass apps i reinstalled
but maybe after you install it and run it try to do a battery pull and then

Options> Advanced Options > Host Routing Table> Register Now!

that's what I did.. hope it works for you(y)

Bacchus15 01-07-2010 02:21 AM

maybe it was a mistake, this release cuz Bell carries Both Bolds the 9000 AND 9700 and the official name of the later is "Bold 9700" (should have been Bold2 IMHO)

mix up somewhere maybe?

MaxPayne79 01-07-2010 06:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by celly (Post 1542321)
I agree. I'm actually installing it as I post this. I hope I don't regret it. :cry:

haha...don't worry, u wont regret it. It'll be the same thing if not slightly better. My only thing is that, i don't know if it will let me update since i'm essentially updating the phones OS with the same OS. If i have to do that wipe sh*t like i've read about, then forget it. Ill wait for the next beta which should be coming along next month or so. hopefully.

jimfraser 01-07-2010 08:43 PM

As someone who has installed almost all the official 4.6 OS updates from the original Rogers .226 it probably can be said that I will update the OS just because it is there. (Although the first update was recommended by Rogers as the original .226 caused reboots on the ATT 3g network when I was in the US in Oct 08.) I have never had any issues updating and it cannot be said that any of the 4.6 OSs worked so badly (other than 226) that I had to upgrade.
However, I hesitate to go to a whole new OS ie 4.6 to 5.0 .
I have not been following the beta thread very closely. What is the advantage of OS 5.0 in general over 4.6 on the bold 9000?

lagreat 01-07-2010 08:57 PM

Finally bit the bullet after this was official - am on BES and didn't want to take chances with beta. So far in 12+ hours no reboots and battery is still at 50%. Memory seems to be on the low side. It starts off with 36mb and now its down to 25:shock:

And no browser issues as others have reported.

One thing I noticed is when I edit the profiles there is no longer an option to select 'Do not disturb'. This used to be there in 4.6 version. Sometimes it was easy to keep it that way so users will go to VM but there will still be indication who called on the unit. Anyone know where to find that option now?

Might go back to 4.6.x if I start getting memory issues or reboot issues. Time will tell.

ang_pilosopo 01-08-2010 05:31 AM

I find the SMS difficult coz there's just a tiny space below to type my message. What's the point of having a big screen if you can only 3 lines to compose your message. Beyond 3 lines, I'd have to scroll up to review my entire message.

Is there any way I can make this "compose" space bigger/wider?

jackfate 01-08-2010 08:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by spenillo (Post 1541362)

AT&T Browser not working via OS 5.0? Follow these steps to fix.. | PocketBerry[/url]

The last 5.0 OS I tried on my ATT 9000 I had to do this fix but then it broke my media player(could not play audio or video files). There was a fix for that too but it stopped working after a reboot and I would have to do the fix again.

jimfraser 01-08-2010 02:52 PM

Well despite asking twice on this post as to the advantages of OS 5.0 over 4.6 and not having any response, I updated to 5.0.0.411 anyway.
Part of the reason in doing so was that Bell has this as an official OS for the Bold 9000. (Although Rogers does not. Bell has been live for less than 2 months on its gsm network. Could be that Rogers was aware of the issues on .411 and took a pass).
Actual up date took less than 30 minutes. BES activation took 45 minutes, consistant with other os updates. Is there anyway to speed up BES activation?
Just got started on .411 so only an initial first impressions:
Boot up time much faster. It used to take more than 4 minutes on my last version of 4.6.
However, a big difference in memory use. After a battery pull just before I upgraded, I had 26+ megs. Now after a fresh install of 5.0.0.411 - 16.5 megs. tried a battery pull and it made no difference. I have real concerns, because after a fresh install on a new OS typically you never see as much memory again and loose up to 10 megs over time, even after a battery pull. This has me worried!

lagreat 01-08-2010 03:53 PM

Seems the 'f' key shortcut is missing from OS 5.0. On 4.6.x I was able to click 'f' to go to Profiles. Is it just me or any one else experiencing the same?

You must have dial from home disabled to take advantage of shortcut keys.

malnajran 01-09-2010 11:32 AM

Any one knows when or is the MultiLang released?

Thanks!

mic6 01-09-2010 11:43 AM

it is released already

malnajran 01-09-2010 12:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mic6 (Post 1543938)
it is released already

It's missing Arabic language :-(

Regards,

dhofar 01-10-2010 12:57 PM

It's missing Arabic language ""

you can have arabic language ! just make a visit to any arabic bb forum

jackfate 01-10-2010 05:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jackfate (Post 1543176)
The last 5.0 OS I tried on my ATT 9000 I had to do this fix but then it broke my media player(could not play audio or video files). There was a fix for that too but it stopped working after a reboot and I would have to do the fix again.

Answered my own question by doing the update last night. Finally a 5.0 OS that will work with AT&T. Everything works great for me after the browser fix. Boot time is much quicker and viewing my photos is lightning fast compared to 4.6. I also like they way they now group a text conversation in the same way as the BB messenger. Another thing I found is that I can now stream videos from sites that previously I only had the option to download first.

I don't use VVM and my camera has been shot on this device for awhile now so I cannot speak for those issues.

sparks 01-10-2010 06:51 PM

No issues

Upgraded to .411 on Rogers last night. No issues upgrading, and no fixes required. All apps running smoothly. Memory is stable. There is the camera bug, as noted by all, but other than that the OS is working just fine. Settings need to be checked thoroughly, however, as some new options can otherwise cause confusion.

So far, so good.

pokey 01-10-2010 08:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sparks (Post 1544630)
Upgraded to .411 on Rogers last night. No issues upgrading, and no fixes required. All apps running smoothly. Memory is stable. There is the camera bug, as noted by all, but other than that the OS is working just fine. Settings need to be checked thoroughly, however, as some new options can otherwise cause confusion.

So far, so good.

How is the battery life compared to 4.6 OS? Which OS were you coming from?

sparks 01-10-2010 08:27 PM

Previous OS was 4.6.0.307. Battery life on 5.0.0.411 seems about the same as previous OS.

pokey 01-10-2010 09:34 PM

I was hoping that with an official 5.0 OS that the battery life would be significantly better than that of the 4.6. I guess not. No point in really upgrading then as the only differance is the threaded sms....

Friedchicken 01-11-2010 07:27 AM

Multilanguage
9000M_PBr5.0.0_rel661_PL5.2.0.33_A5.0.0.411_3_Swed en_Denmark.exe

https://www.blackberry.com/Downloads...38397FABBA902E

g1n 01-11-2010 07:54 AM

i think this version is multilanguage...just installed it in german on my bold. the interface is much faster then the latest 4.6 version....but i found some bugs (backgroundwallpaper, some issues while loading apps, problems with older skins)

greetz g1n

writer 01-11-2010 08:53 AM

Good Morning
I have the BB 9000 Bold, with 4.6. OS. How different is the 5.0, and will ATT (my carrier) be out with this OS soon? Sorry, I am new to this.

lagreat 01-11-2010 09:28 AM

Battery life has shortened by 25%-40% even after stopping 2 applications that used to run on 4.6

Memory usage is really bad - starts off with 30MB and after just 8-10 hours its at 14MB. I rarely keep any mail in my mailbox over 7 days. Reboot this morning and memory started at 30MB and has dropped to 22MB in less than an hour.

Any one less seeing this aggressive memory loss?

ezrunner 01-11-2010 09:36 AM

Have just forayed into the 5.0.x.x OS realm

after several battery pulls things seem to be working okay haven't had a chance to really put it to the test, still searching around for changes

jimfraser 01-11-2010 10:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lagreat (Post 1544889)
Battery life has shortened by 25%-40% even after stopping 2 applications that used to run on 4.6

Memory usage is really bad - starts off with 30MB and after just 8-10 hours its at 14MB. I rarely keep any mail in my mailbox over 7 days. Reboot this morning and memory started at 30MB and has dropped to 22MB in less than an hour.

Any one less seeing this aggressive memory loss?

I loaded this up on Friday and as noted above in my first impressions, right after installing this OS my memory was down at least 10 megs from any other previous 4.6. You always get the most memory after a new OS in installed so this was dissappointing that I was starting so low - 17.5 MG. After the weekend of use and a number of battery pulls memory is off a couple more megs after the battery pulls. After less than 24 hours use, I am down to 8 megs. I guess I will need to do another battery pull. Although I have a number of 3rd party programs, I don't have BlackBerry App Word, a notorius memory hog.
Memory use a big issue with 5.0.0.411 !!!

jimfraser 01-11-2010 11:02 AM

After a weekend of use it appears that most programs are working properly. However, one of my favourite programs, PocketDay, starts out with the trackball not working. Pressing any key lets me use the trackball however and I can scroll again. Not a big deal but I did not have any issues in 4.6.
Lost my WAP browser however. Regular Blackberry browser seems to work the same as always. I see above that there is a fix for the browser. I wonder if it will restore the WAP browser? This forum's program which uses a wap browser reports "the protocol specified is not supported by the handheld".
A Rogers specific program that would bring me to their WAP site for checking flights, banking etc is not even on my BB with this OS. This program always came up with the many OS upgrades I did previously in 4.6, all of which, other than the first upgrade, were not an official Roger's update.
The program icons for Word to Go, Sheet to Go and Sideshow to Go are all generic rectangles. However PDF to Go has the proper icon with a little person in a square with the letters "PDF" in the corner. All are version 2. I deleted and reinstalled the offending programs and still have the generic rectangles as program icons. The programs themselves still appear to work, however.
Despite some reports that it boots up is faster, not noticeably so in my experience.
I like OS 5's colours and shading. Seems a little more polished. However, the hugh memory hit as noted above is definitely an issue. It really does not seem ready for general use. Definitely should have stayed in beta in my opinion.
I am torn between waiting for a new "official" OS 5, trying a beta or going back to the latest official 4.6 OS.

TTsoldier 01-11-2010 11:06 AM

I have gotten a couple reboots on the beta..

Have not upgraded to the official yet.

tankee531 01-11-2010 07:51 PM

apart from the twice self-reboot within 48 hrs of upgraded, it has been working fine in the last 5 days since then. And battery indicator seems normal now.

facebook alerts are not being deleted from my corporate mailbox like they used to before the upgrade.

Xion901 01-12-2010 11:23 AM

5.0 works fine for me, seems quicker and more efficient on my phone. Ye everyone can always find something wrong,, but every first realease of a new version comes with errors. Im sure other versions will slowly but surely fix problems.

g1n 01-12-2010 11:59 AM

okay...2 dayz with this version....i'm really disappointed about it. the batterylife is horrible, 2 days (2G with no app running) and the battery is down to 50% (the battery is a new one). in addition to the other bugs (background, slow apploading, themeprobs), this version is not good at all....i hope a new one will be released soon.

deocamdata 01-12-2010 01:42 PM

App world doesn't work under 5.0 :(
And ... I have a draft SMS remained from 4.6 and is impossible to delete it.
Any idea ?

TTsoldier 01-12-2010 03:53 PM

If you're on 4.6 BES, can you safely upgrade your phone to 5.0?

Will this cause any problems?

Deraj090 01-12-2010 03:57 PM

kinda annoying that they'd release an official OS with so many issues. I also agree with ang_pilosopo -- why such little space on the compose portion of SMS?

jimfraser 01-12-2010 06:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TTsoldier (Post 1546022)
If you're on 4.6 BES, can you safely upgrade your phone to 5.0?

Will this cause any problems?

I upgraded from 4.6 to 5.0.0.411 on BES without any issues. As in the past (15) OS upgrades I followed the instructions as above but used Desktop Manager instead of loader.exe and did it on a network computer to ensure getting reactivated on the BES.
One good feature of OS 5 is that the corp BES e-mail mow has a separate folder unlike 4.6 in which the corp e-mail is only found in the general messages folder with all the other e-mails. It is still in the general messages folder as in 4.6, but is also in its separate folder so you can check the company e-mails first and leave the rest to later if you want.

TTsoldier 01-12-2010 09:22 PM

I don't think the computer you update it on will make a difference. Once the update is done, everything should sync back as normal. This is just my theory.

Wanted confirmation.

I never use DM for an upgrade. I always wipe and then use the loader. Can this be a problem?

icontech 01-12-2010 10:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TTsoldier (Post 1546224)
I don't think the computer you update it on will make a difference. Once the update is done, everything should sync back as normal. This is just my theory.

Wanted confirmation.

I never use DM for an upgrade. I always wipe and then use the loader. Can this be a problem?

You will need to do an Enterprise Activation after the upgrade using your method. You should contact your IT or whoever takes care of your BES to get a new activation password.

jimfraser 01-12-2010 11:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by icontech (Post 1546267)
You will need to do an Enterprise Activation after the upgrade using your method. You should contact your IT or whoever takes care of your BES to get a new activation password.

The only time in my 16 OS upgrades I needed a new activation password is when I used loader.exe. By using DM on a network computer I avoided asking (alerting) IT that I upgraded the OS. We have virtually no policy restrictions on our BES so upgrading by the way I do it without needing a new activation code may not work on all BES systems.

jimfraser 01-13-2010 12:24 AM

Note. The BBwap shortcut to this forum does not work with this OS and a number of 5.0 OSs, at least with BES. Not sure if it is also an issue with BIS. Worked fine for me for almost a year and a half until Friday when I upgraded from 4.6.
No word if a fix is in the works.

ang_pilosopo 01-13-2010 08:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Deraj090 (Post 1546024)
kinda annoying that they'd release an official OS with so many issues. I also agree with ang_pilosopo -- why such little space on the compose portion of SMS?

not only that. when you press enter, the SMS is sent.
i use enter to make another paragraph when texting... this is important to my line of job where i have to make bullet points.

Raptor464 01-13-2010 09:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ang_pilosopo (Post 1546439)
i use enter to make another paragraph when texting... this is important to my line of job where i have to make bullet points.

Why would you compose such things in an SMS? Really? You have separate paragraphs while staying under the 160 character limit for SMS?

icontech 01-13-2010 11:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Raptor464 (Post 1546451)
Why would you compose such things in an SMS? Really? You have separate paragraphs while staying under the 160 character limit for SMS?

Yeah dude its called an email.

TTsoldier 01-13-2010 12:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ang_pilosopo (Post 1546439)

If you go in your options. There is an option "Press enter key to send" . Change that to "No"

alandry 01-14-2010 09:33 AM

I have installed and i have all the new features but one strange problem. When people call or SMS it does not associate the correct contact informaiton with the call log or SMS log. Any suggestions?

g1n 01-14-2010 12:28 PM

that's normal if you're using encryption....u have to exclude the adressbook from encryption....(Settingsmenü -> security -> encryption -> encrypt adressbook -> no)...iÄm using german OS...so i really don't know the english names for the menu-options.

in fact....this os-version is such a crap. my screen often freezes or shows nothing (white backround)....6 restarts in a few days...horrible battery life.

jimfraser 01-14-2010 06:11 PM

I am actually starting to like this new OS, after I accept that it seems to take up another 12 mgs than 4.6.

I understand that they are working on getting the wap shorcut to this site fixed so that it will work in OS 5.0

I was having a problem with generic icons showing up for the three Documets to Go programs. The Dataviz support page was not particularly helpful which said that the icons came bundled with the RIM software and were a part of the operating system. After a number of uninstalls and ots reinstalls did nothing to get back the program specific icons, I noticed on the Dataviz site an alternative method of installing Docuemts to Go instead of ota. That method called for downloading and putting the installation program on the mass storage card and running it from there. It then looks similar to an ota installation to the bold. The clue that this might solve the generic icon problem that I was experiencing was that there is one installation file for OS 4.5 and 4.6 and another file for 4.7 and 5.0. When I reinstalled off of my sd card using the 4.7/5.0 file, the specific program files reappeared.
I presume that for the reinstall ota, the Dataviz site did not recognize that I had a different OS from 4.6 and kept reinstalling the Documents to Go files for 4.5/4.6

kb8sbw 01-14-2010 11:32 PM

Interesting how different folks are having differing results. I upgraded from 4.6.0.304 with the following results.

My boot up time is basically unchanged. Battery noticably improved. I had to do the Browser fix. Camera bug is there but it's a non-issue. No self reboots that I have noticed. I haven't seen the memory leakage that some have experienced. (good thing to because I only had 10Mb's left to start with) I don't have the VVM with AT&T so that's not an issue. I like the changes to SMS as well as viewing my pictures.

I'm very pleased with the new OS.

amico_pl 01-15-2010 04:33 AM

I like this new OS as well, BB seems visibly quicker.
However I encoutered two bugs:
- I cannot turn off displaying of "My Number" on the home screen while calling, although I did turn on and off the toggle in the Phone Options multiple times
- I have mistakes in association of SMSs to correct conversations (I do not have address book encrypted).
- NYTimes reader doesn't work with this version :-(

So I wait for the newer version of OS 5 to upload

longbeard 01-16-2010 10:06 PM

I have upgraded to 5.0.0.411 and I have noticed that the battery lasts longer..

YBH 01-17-2010 01:50 PM

Downgrade or re-apply

Hi, having poor memory problems after going to this OS (starts at about 18mb then goes to 4mb quickly). I'm fairly sure it aint 3rd party apps (only got Viigo, G Maps and MSN, Yahoo messngers plus Quicklaunch). Some have suggested that there is a Swedish network vers of 411 which may work better that the Bell vers. Is this possible? (initial thoughts are that they would be exactly the same)? also if I want to switch do I have to downgrade then upgrade?

Thanks for the help.

ybh

bambinobambino 01-17-2010 03:34 PM

When will the version multilanguage release???

Friedchicken 01-18-2010 03:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bambinobambino (Post 1548900)
When will the version multilanguage release???

On page 2 I posted this:

Multilanguage

yeria 01-18-2010 02:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by icontech (Post 1546568)
Yeah dude its called an email.

Sending emails using SMS? Instead of actually using email accounts?

Xaneth 01-18-2010 06:34 PM

OK, I just loaded up 5.0, and my most frequently used icon is no longer there for music/video. I would open it, menu click and "explore". Where is the file explorer in 5.0? I've read that it is built into 5.0, but I see it nowhere.

Xaneth 01-18-2010 06:38 PM

OK, I set up my left convenience key for "File" which opens the file explorer, but where is this icon supposed to be? Must be buried somewhere? I don't see it under applications... Show all, shows nothing...

ultraImAn 01-18-2010 10:19 PM

can i install the new OS on my Maxis (Malaysia) carrier?

bghadban 01-19-2010 10:10 AM

So i tried to install 5.0 on my 9000 with Rogers, i deleted the Vendor.xml file. When i went to do the upgrade, I saw 5.0 on the list, but when i click next it says that there is no updates available for my phone. I'm currently running v4.6.0.303 and would like to get 5.0 installed. Any tips on what to do? Thanks

Medic48 01-19-2010 05:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Friedchicken (Post 1549164)
On page 2 I posted this:

Multilanguage

The URL is malformed!

--Phil

Medic48 01-19-2010 08:21 PM

Okay, I'm having problems installing this here.

I've installed both the Asian and the Multilanguage version and it keeps showing downgrade. I've tried manually selecting the Platform.alx file and tried to get it to manually load but it keeps showing a downgrade and a previous version of 4.6.

Is there an additional step than what is normally done when updating an O/S

Thanks,
--Phil

jimfraser 01-20-2010 07:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bghadban (Post 1549985)
So i tried to install 5.0 on my 9000 with Rogers, i deleted the Vendor.xml file. When i went to do the upgrade, I saw 5.0 on the list, but when i click next it says that there is no updates available for my phone. I'm currently running v4.6.0.303 and would like to get 5.0 installed. Any tips on what to do? Thanks

I am with Rogers and had no problems upgrading. I followed the instructions above, except that I use desktop manager instead of loader.exe, as I find that DM works better for me in order to reactivate on BES.

briandewitt 01-20-2010 07:57 PM

I'd just like to +1 the fact that even though I followed the instructions in post 1, page 1, (and have done many upgrades to many different Blackberrys) I too am unable to get .411 installed on the galpal's Bold 9000.

Its on ATT and currently running 4.6.0.297 (4.0.0.247) - the last official release from ATT as far as I know.