BlackBerry Forums Support Community

BlackBerry Forums Support Community (http://www.blackberryforums.com/index.php)
-   General 8100 Series Discussion - Pearl (http://www.blackberryforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=71)
-   -   Unlocking my pearl..info (http://www.blackberryforums.com/showthread.php?t=57401)

sickmunkeyz 12-11-2006 12:40 PM

Unlocking my pearl..info

I got a blackberry pearl on Ebay and i need to unlock it because I use Cingular. My sister has had service with tmobile for the longest time. will tmobile still unlock it for me if she says she needs it unlocked? or what should i say?

Dark Knight 12-11-2006 01:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sickmunkeyz
I got a blackberry pearl on Ebay and i need to unlock it because I use Cingular. My sister has had service with tmobile for the longest time. will tmobile still unlock it for me if she says she needs it unlocked? or what should i say?

T-Mobile will only provide the unlock code to their existing customers, not someone who subscribes to a competitor such as Cingular. I suggest you look online for remote IMEI unlocking such as GSM Liberty - Cell Phone Unlock Codes : Mobile Phone Unlocking : Cell Phone Unlock , Bongo Wireless - Home and Easycell.ca. Quoted prices from both Bongo Wireless and Easy Cell was $100.00 CDN ($85.60 USD) to unlock the RIM 8100 Pearl sold by Rogers Wireless and T-Mobile. Where as GSM Liberty charges $67.56 CDN ($59.99 USD) and is currently only for the RIM 8100 locked by T-Mobile, not Rogers Wireless.

paulbblc 12-11-2006 01:47 PM

Or you could try one of our sponsers:

GSM PhoneSource - When Only The Best Will Do

pvravi 12-11-2006 02:00 PM

I remember I had a Samsung 715 unlocked from TMobile the daya I had subscribed to service, and canceled service the day after.

How about Cingular? Will they provide unlock codes? What about to business customers?

mckinneycm 12-11-2006 02:50 PM

Here is a direct link to unlock the T-Mo BB through GSM PhoneSource:

Remote Unlocking By IMEI For Any T-Mobile USA Blackberry Including ( 8100, Pearl, 8700g )

Only $39.99

Pizzle 12-11-2006 03:40 PM

A) If you're not a current Tmo customer with that phone, they won't unlock it.

B) If you didn't buy your Pearl from Cingular, they wouldn't unlock it, even if they could.

C) Your best bet is to pay to have it unlocked. Many have used GSM Phone Source (inlcuding myself) with GREAT success.

Good luck.

pvravi 12-11-2006 05:00 PM

How about a current Cingular Business customer? Will Cingular unlock my pearl?

I *might* travel out of the country, and I might want to bring my pearl so I have my contacts lists, calendar (snyced with my PC, etc) and still be able to use a local sim overseas? That's the line I gave T'Mo when I had that e715 unlocked.

sickmunkeyz 12-11-2006 06:51 PM

Well my sister has had service for tmobile for a long time. I was wondering if they will unlock it if she says it is hers?

Mandizzle 12-11-2006 06:55 PM

I've read a lot of threads where US carriers are giving their customers unlock codes for their devices. Anybody have any luck getting the unlock codes from Rogers here in Canada?

Dark Knight 12-11-2006 07:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mandizzle
I've read a lot of threads where US carriers are giving their customers unlock codes for their devices. Anybody have any luck getting the unlock codes from Rogers here in Canada?

Rogers Customer Service Consultants no longer have access to the IMEI lock codes. Even if you state you want to cancel your wireless service Rogers won't provide the lock code for your hardware. The keywords here are "your hardware" since after 30 minutes airtime or 30 days from point of IMEI activation you can't return the device so it's your property. They used to provide the service for $250.00 CDN but have since stopped offering it. I believe the only way to change Canadian wireless carriers thinking in this regard is to file a class action lawsuit through the court system. I for one think it's stupid that I have a Nokia 6682 purchased through Rogers but can't get the unlock code anywhere. I wanted to pass this on to my brother in the USA and I'm now forced to sell it to someone living in Canada so I can use that money to offset the cost of buying another phone which is unlocked.

Mandizzle 12-11-2006 07:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dark Knight
Rogers Customer Service Consultants no longer have access to the IMEI lock codes. Even if you state you want to cancel your wireless service Rogers won't provide the lock code for your hardware. The keywords here are "your hardware" since after 30 minutes airtime or 30 days from point of IMEI activation you can't return the device so it's your property. They used to provide the service for $250.00 CDN but have since stopped offering it. I believe the only way to change Canadian wireless carriers thinking in this regard is to file a class action lawsuit through the court system.

Alright so getting the code from Rogers is completely out of the question. Even @ $250.00 the unlock code is still expensive. I can go to some of the sites provided in earlier posts and have it done through them at less than half the price.

Remote IMEI unlocking is one option but does anybody know of any shops i can take my Pearl into in Toronto that can unlock? Perhaps in Pacific Mall or downtown? Any idea of pricing?

Thanks

apple85 12-11-2006 08:15 PM

Uhh excuse me if I'm wrong but didn't new laws just get passed (or copy right stuff ended?) that now wireless carriers HAVE to provide you with the unlocking information and let you take your device whereever... see link
Slashdot | Cell Phone Owners Allowed To Break Software Locks

pvravi 12-11-2006 08:18 PM

Nope, wireless operators dont HAVE to provide the unlock code. I think it is no longer illegal to unlock your phone.

yunone 12-14-2006 05:45 PM

i have my unlock code

i just dont know how to use it to unlock my pearl? does anyone know if its the same process as any other BB?

thanks in advance

yunone 12-14-2006 05:48 PM

haha

found it

duh..search feature

hmmm search

Menu - Options - Advanced Options - Sim Card
when in this SIM card screen type the following
MEPPD

then type
MEPP2

a prompt will come up asking for the 16 digit unlock code
enter the code then it will be unlocked.....
Instert new carriers sim and it will work

anyone want to buy an unlocked cingular Pearl. One week old? :)

sickmunkeyz 12-14-2006 06:31 PM

duh..you should read what the beginning of post says to see what info is needed.

yunone 12-14-2006 06:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sickmunkeyz
duh..you should read what the beginning of post says to see what info is needed.

are you posting to me?

showtime775 12-16-2006 03:27 PM

Actually the instructions t mobile sent me said I had to hold down the ALT key when I typed MEPP2. In case any one was having problems you may want to try that.

user8100 01-09-2007 05:25 PM

Unlock code for 8100 Pearl from O2 provider UK

I got a blackberry pearl on Ebay from UK O2 provider and i need to unlock it because I use T-Mobile. Help me.

Thanks,
user8100

RoadRider 01-09-2007 10:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by user8100
I got a blackberry pearl on Ebay from UK O2 provider and i need to unlock it because I use T-Mobile. Help me.

Thanks,
user8100

Have you looked into gsmphonesource.com?