BlackBerry Forums Support Community

BlackBerry Forums Support Community (http://www.blackberryforums.com/index.php)
-   General BlackBerry Discussion (http://www.blackberryforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   Free BIS 2 Utility: Reply As New (Use any Address) (http://www.blackberryforums.com/showthread.php?t=38005)

crs 06-13-2006 05:07 AM

Free BIS 2 Utility: Reply As New (Use any Address)

Folks,

As a service to all our friends at blackberryforums and around the world we are plased to offer a new FREE utility...Reply As New.

If you have upgraded to BIS 2 and now realize you have multiple email address to use, but can only use them when composing a new message this utility is for you. It's especially useful if you still push email to your BB using the xxx.blackberry.net address.

Reply As New adds a new Menu option when viewing email in the native BB mail program. What it does is take the current email message, craft a "Reply Looking email" and launch the BB EMail Compose screen where you can select the Account to use to send the mail. Very handy.

Download OTA here:

http://www.crossriversystems.com/files/pf/pdrn.jad

Problems or suggestions email us at [email address]

Enjoy.

-crs

wuberry 06-13-2006 07:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by crs
Folks,

As a service to all our friends at blackberryforums and around the world we are plased to offer a new FREE utility...Reply As New.

If you have upgraded to BIS 2 and now realize you have multiple email address to use, but can only use them when composing a new message this utility is for you. It's especially useful if you still push email to your BB using the xxx.blackberry.net address.

Reply As New adds a new Menu option when viewing email in the native BB mail program. What it does is take the current email message, craft a "Reply Looking email" and launch the BB EMail Compose screen where you can select the Account to use to send the mail. Very handy.

Download OTA here:

http://www.crossriversystems.com/files/pf/pdrn.jad

Problems or suggestions email us at [email address]

Enjoy.

-crs

OK. I'll admit I'm confused.

As I understand, it in BIS 2.0, I can assign a "sent from" address to each e-mail account I set up in BIS 2.0. When I reply from the BlackBerry, the "sent from" address will automatically be the one I assigned to the account when I set it up. Right?

When I send a new e-mail (not a reply), I can choose any of the "sent from" addresses I set up in BIS.

That's what's already in BIS 2.0.

This application would let me appear to be replying to an e-mail I received from an e-mail address other than the "sent from" one attached to the account when I set it up. Is that right? Does this mean I can use ANY e-mail address as the "sent from", or just one of the ones I set up in BIS?

Sorry to be dense.

cfjacksn 06-13-2006 07:52 PM

I believe this free software allows you to respond to a email that appears in your Message window. The Message window now is a central repository for your messages from your multiple accounts. So, If I poll an AOL account, any emails arriving in that account would not only show up in my AOL inbox, but also my Messages inbox. If I wanted to reply using the AOL email address, I can use this utility instead of going to the AOL inbox and replying from within that.

I think that's what Wuberry means.

calkenneth 06-13-2006 08:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cfjacksn
I believe this free software allows you to respond to a email that appears in your Message window. The Message window now is a central repository for your messages from your multiple accounts. So, If I poll an AOL account, any emails arriving in that account would not only show up in my AOL inbox, but also my Messages inbox. If I wanted to reply using the AOL email address, I can use this utility instead of going to the AOL inbox and replying from within that.

I think that's what Wuberry means.

Actually, if you have your BIS 2.0 accounts set-up, you can reply from the Messages inbox and it will still inherit the From and ReplyTo fields from the original email. You do not need to go into the specific inbox -- I think that's just for easy sorting of your mail.

sparky_dfw_tx 06-13-2006 08:40 PM

I think the point of the app is to allow you to use any e-mail address you have setup in BIS to respond to your e-mails even if the address you use to reply wasn't the address the e-mail came in under (unless of course the app lets you add e-mail addresses directly to the BB).

The app would also give you the ability to forward all e-mails, from all accounts, to your carrier.blackberry.net address and then use the app to select what "Sent From" address you want to reply with (which you could do in BIS 1.8, but not in 2.0). Forwarding to the carrier.blackberry.net address from your other e-mail accounts would virtually eliminate the 15 minute polling time.

wuberry 06-13-2006 09:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sparky_dfw_tx
I think the point of the app is to allow you to use any e-mail address you have setup in BIS to respond to your e-mails even if the address you use to reply wasn't the address the e-mail came in under (unless of course the app lets you add e-mail addresses directly to the BB).

Many thanks for the quick replies! That's what I thought.

cfjacksn 06-13-2006 09:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sparky_dfw_tx
Forwarding to the carrier.blackberry.net address from your other e-mail accounts would virtually eliminate the 15 minute polling time.

Okay, I can see the difference. However, I don't agree with the above point. The polling would still be 10-15 minutes, in my opinion. How would forwarding reduce/virtually eliminate polling time?

Stinsonddog 06-13-2006 09:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cfjacksn
Okay, I can see the difference. However, I don't agree with the above point. The polling would still be 10-15 minutes, in my opinion. How would forwarding reduce/virtually eliminate polling time?

Forwarding is instant, and polling goes and pulls emails at an interval.

I assume that this only changes the "reply to" address and not the "from" address which is what bbReply did on 1.8

wuberry 06-13-2006 09:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stinsonddog
I assume that this only changes the "reply to" address and not the "from" address like bbReply used to.

OOPS!

Is that right? I thought it changed the "sent from" address. Is it just like BBReply?

Stinsonddog 06-13-2006 10:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wuberry
OOPS!

Is that right? I thought it changed the "sent from" address. Is it just like BBReply?

From the description below, I don't think it changes the "sent from" address but someone can try it and tell us.

cfjacksn 06-13-2006 10:14 PM

Quote:

Forwarding is instant, and polling goes and pulls emails at an interval.

Correct, forwarding is instant, but the BIS will poll the POP/IMAP account and pull it into your BIS account, THEN send it to your BB. Are you saying that if I place a filter on a POP3/IMAP account under BIS 2.0 that forwards all my mail to my provider.net account, that I would get it faster?? I don't follow the logic here; to me, the BIS would still have to poll that POP3/IMAP account before it receives it to forward it.

WaxonWaxov 06-13-2006 10:16 PM

** bangs head on desk **

I just want to use webmail again.

** sob **

wuberry 06-13-2006 10:17 PM

Quote:

From the description below, I don't think it changes the "sent from" address but someone can try it and tell us.

Thanks for the quick reply, Stinsondog!

I think the added ability in BIS 2.0 is sufficient for me -- right now, anyway.

koleary19067 06-14-2006 01:48 AM

Anyone try it yet? Does it change the From or just the reply to. I would love it if it changed the from.
I can't try it because I have no email service for the past two days. Sprint does not have a clue

conker 06-14-2006 02:42 AM

Thank you, this is exactly what I am looking for. On 1.8, I had to use BBReply, which was actually quite kludgy.

Thanks!

conker 06-14-2006 02:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by koleary19067
Anyone try it yet? Does it change the From or just the reply to. I would love it if it changed the from.
I can't try it because I have no email service for the past two days. Sprint does not have a clue

Yes, it changes the From field.

cooperpwc 06-14-2006 03:21 AM

Just on a lark, I though that I would try this with my BIS 1.8 8700r.
Conclusion: It doesn't do anything useful with BIS 1.8. But it isn't meant to...

Stinsonddog 06-14-2006 03:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by conker

Anyone second this? Or can conker post an example.

Seattle18 06-14-2006 04:21 AM

Yes, please post a screenshot or two. This sounds very promising to me, as the lack of this feature is what annoys me most about 2.0.

Figment 06-14-2006 07:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by conker

Quote:

Anyone second this? Or can conker post an example.

I do.