BlackBerry Forums Support Community

BlackBerry Forums Support Community (http://www.blackberryforums.com/index.php)
-   GPS & Mapping (http://www.blackberryforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=80)
-   -   App to get Location from blackberry (http://www.blackberryforums.com/showthread.php?t=246022)

NeedToKeepTabsOnTeenager 03-11-2011 09:58 AM

App to get Location from blackberry

Hey all
I am looking for an app which will send me the LOCATION ( suitable for google maps ) upon receiving an SMS from authorized contact ?
is there such a thing ? which will work WITHOUT GPS ( as the pearl the app is going on does not have gps )
currently i use google latitude but that requires a blackberry data plan
i am looking for a sms type app

thanx all

Motorcycle Mama 03-11-2011 05:54 PM

Re: App to get Location from blackberry

I have never heard of such a thing, but I was just wondering how exactly the device or application would be able to report the location without having a GPS receiver in (or attached to) the device?

devnull 03-11-2011 08:32 PM

Indeed MM. Without GPS, location reporting would be practically unusable.

nobody7290 03-12-2011 04:14 PM

Blackberry OS support location information gathered from the wireless network since September 2010.

Motorcycle Mama 03-12-2011 05:21 PM

But location by cell tower triangulation is not very accurate at all.

nobody7290 03-12-2011 06:44 PM

right, accuracy varies in ranges from a radius of about 30m to 1.5km.
Still, its better then nothing, if you try to locate a lost phone, or, want to locate someone.
If a phone is lost & stolen, no GPS or whatever method will help, because, the first thing a medium intelligent guy will do is to pull the battery + sim.

But, If the phone is just lost, even an inaccurate location is helpful because most people will remember their life for the last few days.
Also, GPS will not work in closed buildings. GPS is nice if you are in a car, bike, or outdoors, but I think, most smartphones are used and lost inside.

relying solely on GPS for location information for several years was a wrong decision by RIM.

Btw. there is an application called Cell seeker, which will do what the OP asked for. Dont know, if it sends a link ready fror google maps, but as long as you get the latitude and longitude, you can type that in to google maps.

emacf1 04-13-2011 08:57 AM

try LittleBrother @ emacberry.com

davidknight 05-16-2011 05:01 AM

Hi,
Thanks for the information. I think that location based services do need a GPS connection else it won't be possible to locate your phone. However there are a few applications available on the internet which do so but I am not sure if they are that accurate.
:)

mshidel 06-07-2011 11:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NeedToKeepTabsOnTeenager (Post 1706803)
Hey all
I am looking for an app which will send me the LOCATION ( suitable for google maps ) upon receiving an SMS from authorized contact ?
is there such a thing ? which will work WITHOUT GPS ( as the pearl the app is going on does not have gps )
currently i use google latitude but that requires a blackberry data plan
i am looking for a sms type app

thanx all

You can also try a bluetooth gps device such as the GRays2