BlackBerry Forums Support Community

BlackBerry Forums Support Community (http://www.blackberryforums.com/index.php)
-   General BlackBerry Discussion (http://www.blackberryforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   From Storm 9530 to Torch 9850?? (http://www.blackberryforums.com/showthread.php?t=257959)

RJLOMMD 02-23-2012 10:01 PM

From Storm 9530 to Torch 9850??

I have been very happy with my Storm. I've had it since Feb. 2009. I use the phone, Crunch SMS v3.6, Opera Mini v6.5, Google Maps with ease and certainty.

I use the native calendar/tasks/contacts which sync seamlessly with my Outlook 2010. I sync every morning using BBerry Desktop Manager v6.0. I realize that with the Torch, I might have to upgrade the Manager.

I've grown accustomed to the sometimes quirky touch keyboard and rarely make mistakes. I like the size of the screen. Sure I'd like it a bit bigger, but I think the Torch is big enough. The Droid, the Bionic and the Thunderbolt look like they would leave an impression on my waist --where the phone resides in its case most of the time.

My sons have all left BBerry for the Android world, but I can't see it for me. I have no Facebook or My Space accounts and don't want either. I never use my phone as a media player, but I do keep pictures on it --saves wear and tear on my wallet for sure. And I don't care about my phone talking back to me with answers to my questions. I want "MY Phone" not an "I-Phone". I DO care about my calendar. And apparently Google and Microsoft do not like each other. Even Deja Office is only moderately effective.

With a profile such as this am I crazy to want to stay with Blackberry? I'd appreciate any comments. I will have the chance to upgrade next month so I'm looking for comments.

Dubdub 02-23-2012 10:08 PM

Re: From Storm 9530 to Torch 9850??

That is a decision only you can make.

But here is my 2 cents. I used BBs for a long time, then a client bought me an iPhone. Used it for a year. liked it, but it just didn't do what I wanted it to do and I came back the BB 9800 and now have a 9810. The BB works for me. It does what I want. My primary uses are email and calendar.

I use Google Calendar to keep my BB, MacBook, work desktop and a mac and PC at home all in sync.

I also have an iPad and it does what I need as well.

If the BB works for you, and it sounds like it does, then it isn't broken so you don't need to fix it with a Droid or other device. Get a device that works for you, does what you need it to do, not what someone else uses it for.

RJLOMMD 02-23-2012 10:32 PM

Thank you for your reply. I forgot to mention that I do use the email as well. Of course that email also comes to my Outlook, but during the day I can check what's in the inbox and read and reply to the important ones.

If I move to the Torch I would be basically keeping those things that I need and maybe enjoy some better functionality. Wouldn't I?

Dubdub 02-23-2012 11:07 PM

Yep.