BlackBerry Forums Support Community

BlackBerry Forums Support Community (http://www.blackberryforums.com/index.php)
-   WiFi HotZone (http://www.blackberryforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=103)
-   -   Question on WiFi Use on 8520 (http://www.blackberryforums.com/showthread.php?t=205790)

gtechtwo 09-30-2009 10:43 AM

Question on WiFi Use on 8520

Hi Everyone,

Knew user to BB having swung over from the Nokia E71. Very very new to BB so its like a blank piece of paper to me at the moment, although trying to get information from as many sources as possible.

I am setup on O2 UK and my corporate email, contacts, etc are coming over just fine.

I have now setup connectivity to my home WiFi network and the BB 8520 connects fine, however, when browsing the Internet, lt looks like its still connecting via GPRS.

On the home screen of the 8520 the WiFi symbol is displayed, as soon as I go into the BB Browser I only have the GPRS symbol. How do I get the device to default browse on the Wifi instead of gprs ?? on my Nokia I had an excellent application that would always try Wifi first, if it could'nt connect then it went out on GPRS....anything similar on BB ??

Any assistance would be very much appreciated.

Thanks

Graeme

Trimix 10-01-2009 11:17 PM

Wirelessly posted (Tmo's cheapest BB customer)

As far as I know, if wifi is available, the BB defaults to that.

gtechtwo 10-02-2009 04:47 AM

Thanks for the response, I have since found out if I put the browser in "Hot Spot" mode it goes out on the WiFi just fine.

Could'nt find anything that clearly showed it using WiFi in normal mode, it would only indicated GPRS/EDGE.

Thanks again

Graeme

stev32k 10-04-2009 10:10 AM

Not sure if your device is the same as the curve, but it it is you can goto options -> Mobile network -> connection preference and choose wifi preferred. See it that will cure your problem.

gtechtwo 10-04-2009 10:18 AM

Yep the 8520 is a CURVE, but alas no option to set Preferred method of communication.

If I go to OPTIONS - MOBILE NETWORK - I have:

data services (on or off)
While Roaming (on or off)

Mobile Network (then my providers name: O2)
Network Selection Mode (Automatic or Manual) if I select Manual then it lists all the other providers its picking up and I have to select o2

And thats it as far as options go. The only sure fire way I have found to browse using Wifi is by setting the browser to "Hot Spot" mode.

Thanks

Graeme

tomvincci 10-22-2009 10:12 PM

do we need the approval from blackberry website to use the wifi???because i planning to buy 8520 curve

Trimix 10-23-2009 08:22 PM

Wirelessly posted (Tmo's cheapest BB customer)

No you don't.

j4zb4 10-26-2009 08:13 AM

I am having a different problem... I posted it on another thread but I realised was a 2 year old thread...

I just bought the 8520... I think after reading up so many forums I have set it up correctly... I have set the Default browser to hotspot browser etc. It connects to the wi-fi and everthing but when I try to open a page it says no internet connection please check your connection... What could possibly be the problem...?

I haven't activated the Blackberry services... Do I need to activate them even if I am surfing through wi-fi? Please help...

hrbuckley 10-26-2009 09:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by j4zb4 (Post 1495204)
I am having a different problem... I posted it on another thread but I realised was a 2 year old thread...

Don't post on the end of another thread, start your own if you have a different problem

Quote:

I just bought the 8520... I think after reading up so many forums I have set it up correctly... I have set the Default browser to hotspot browser etc. It connects to the wi-fi and everthing but when I try to open a page it says no internet connection please check your connection... What could possibly be the problem...?

I haven't activated the Blackberry services... Do I need to activate them even if I am surfing through wi-fi? Please help...
Not much information here, but sounds like a configuration problem with your router. Have a look at the Wi-Fi diagnostics page. Assuming you get your Wi-Fi connection sorted out, you will find that using Wi-Fi with a Blackberry Data Plan and Blackberry Services is seamless.

j4zb4 10-26-2009 09:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hrbuckley (Post 1495301)
Don't post on the end of another thread, start your own if you have a different problem

Not much information here, but sounds like a configuration problem with your router. Have a look at the Wi-Fi diagnostics page. Assuming you get your Wi-Fi connection sorted out, you will find that using Wi-Fi with a Blackberry Data Plan and Blackberry Services is seamless.

Well many forums lambast you for starting double threads... And this problem seemed a little similar... Just a little addition that it doesnt connect trhough the wi-fi...

My router seems to be working fine with my desktop, laptop and even my iphone... Just doesnt go through with 8520... And I also tried it out at my office... And my friends place... No luck... :(

hrbuckley 10-26-2009 11:41 AM

You'll get "lambasted" here too if you ask a question that has been answered many times before. Individual problems are always a bit different.

Unfortunately how well your router works with your lap top doesn't help us. Some information that will help is, what make and model router are you using, though if you have different routers in the three places you've tried it isn't likely a router problem.

For future reference if you complete your profile with the OS version of your Blackberry and the full name and country of your Carrier it sometimes helps. BPL means nothing to me.

For this specific problem go to Manage Connections -> Wi-Fi Options. Then press the menu key and select Wi-Fi Tools -> Wi-Fi Diagnostics. The information there should help you out. If you don't understand the information you can mail it to your self (Menu -> Email Report) then past it here. For now we only need the first section titled Wi-Fi.

j4zb4 10-27-2009 01:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hrbuckley (Post 1495376)
You'll get "lambasted" here too if you ask a question that has been answered many times before. Individual problems are always a bit different.

Unfortunately how well your router works with your lap top doesn't help us. Some information that will help is, what make and model router are you using, though if you have different routers in the three places you've tried it isn't likely a router problem.

For future reference if you complete your profile with the OS version of your Blackberry and the full name and country of your Carrier it sometimes helps. BPL means nothing to me.

For this specific problem go to Manage Connections -> Wi-Fi Options. Then press the menu key and select Wi-Fi Tools -> Wi-Fi Diagnostics. The information there should help you out. If you don't understand the information you can mail it to your self (Menu -> Email Report) then past it here. For now we only need the first section titled Wi-Fi.

Hey thanks a lot for your help... My problem is solved... Actually it was a very stupid thing I did... I used to turn off the data services option which I assumed turned of my edge (as happens in the iphone)... I didn't know it turns of ALL data services and not only through the carrier...

Thanks a lot for your time... :) Sorry to trouble you...

edit: there I added the details in my profile as you suggested...

hrbuckley 10-27-2009 08:29 AM

No problem, glad you've got it working, that is something I should move to the top of my diagnosis tree, but I never turn mine off.

j4zb4 10-27-2009 08:53 AM

I got into the habit with the iphone... Many times leave a lot of messengers on and downloads on throughout the day with minimum refresh... Shot my bills through the roof...

ck.iiitdm 10-27-2009 02:16 PM

i had nokia 5800 and it has very easy interface for http proxy and port no setting, but my new curve 8520
is showing the wifi connection but when i open a page it gives "u r not connected to server"....i made the http setting but how to set port no. in the phone?