BlackBerry Forums Support Community

BlackBerry Forums Support Community (http://www.blackberryforums.com/index.php)
-   General BlackBerry Discussion (http://www.blackberryforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   what is the proper way to remove IT policy on the blackberry? (http://www.blackberryforums.com/showthread.php?t=156194)

vincentnyc 10-23-2008 12:38 PM

what is the proper way to remove IT policy on the blackberry?

if you remove the user bes account from the bes server, is the IT policy automatically remove from the blackberry device? if not, what is the proper way to remove IT policy on a blackberry?

ps i have a blackberry curve if it helps.

juwaack68 10-23-2008 12:46 PM

The IT Policy is not removed when the user is removed from the BES. The BES Admin could push a blank/Default IT Policy to the device prior to removing it.

To completely remove the IT Policy, follow these directions:

Remove IT Policy - BlackBerryFAQ

fadmin 10-23-2008 01:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by juwaack68 (Post 1145791)
The IT Policy is not removed when the user is removed from the BES. The BES Admin could push a blank/Default IT Policy to the device prior to removing it.[/url]

I don't think that would remove policy. It will just assign blank but that is stil a policy. If stil on the BES, apply IT policy that has this item turned on under Security Policy Group : Remote Wipe Reset to Factory Default. Then send remote wipe command. Upon wipe there would be no policy any more.

Quote:

Originally Posted by juwaack68 (Post 1145791)
To completely remove the IT Policy, follow these directions:

Remove IT Policy - BlackBerryFAQ

This will work too.:smile:

juwaack68 10-23-2008 01:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fadmin (Post 1145820)
I don't think that would remove policy. It will just assign blank but that is stil a policy.

Yep, very true. I said they *could* just assign the blank/Default policy....but there would still be a policy, even if it's not restricting anything.

vincentnyc 10-23-2008 01:19 PM

Quote:

...If stil on the BES, apply IT policy that has this item turned on under Security Policy Group : Remote Wipe Reset to Factory Default. Then send remote wipe command. Upon wipe there would be no policy any more.

interesting...this might be easier than doing the manual steps. i'm confused with your first step..you mention "apply IT Policy that has this item turned on under security policy group...."

1) what do u mean apply IT policy? that bb already has an IT policy...so what policy are u talking about?
2) and what items are you talking about?

fadmin 10-23-2008 01:32 PM

Create new IT Policy ( I assume you know how to do that) and name it Cleaning Policy.
Make sure under Security Policy Options you scroll down until you see Remote Wipe Reset to Factory Default and set it to True.
Now right click on user in BB Manager and select Assign IT Policy. Select Cleaning Policy from drop down list.
Watch the user properties and once IT Policy status state applied Succesfully, right click on user and select Erase Data and disable Handheld.
Once device reboots after wiping it should be clean and policy free and as good as new.
Remove User from BES if you want.
Done

juwaack68 10-23-2008 01:49 PM

vincentnyc - are you a BES Admin?

vincentnyc 10-23-2008 02:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by juwaack68 (Post 1145874)
vincentnyc - are you a BES Admin?

sorta..all i know is to add and remove bes user...that's about it...lol.

juwaack68 10-23-2008 02:03 PM

Sorta? So...you support end users but another person is the dedicated BES Admin?

vincentnyc 10-23-2008 02:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by juwaack68 (Post 1145886)
Sorta? So...you support end users but another person is the dedicated BES Admin?

we both are...let's just say i have access to the bes server.

juwaack68 10-23-2008 08:49 PM

What version is your BES and what environment (Exchange, Groupwise, Domino)?

fadmin 10-24-2008 07:00 AM

Is it on your BES? If so, do as I instructed couple of posts ago and try to pair before you connect again to your BES. If it works, then activate it on your BES again and if it does not work it is something in the current IT policy that does that.

hoangandy 11-28-2008 07:13 PM

I am trying to disable my IT policy so I can use gtalk and bb messenger. They are both currently blocked. If I assign a "blank" IT policy as mentioned above, will this be a way to get this to work?

jsconyers 11-28-2008 07:17 PM

Welcome to the forums.

Are you on a BES, or did you get your device second hand? I would not recommend trying to circumvent your security policy to get your IM applications working.

jlesher714 11-28-2008 09:49 PM

I tried the folowed all the procedures above, downloaded the blank IT policy & wiped my blackberr. I'am still not able to change the the lock time or remove password. Due to being on a BES previously. I have sync it my bb ran Desktop manager but nothing seems to work.. Any ideas ?

fadmin 12-10-2008 02:12 PM

and also keep in mind that this it policy item will work only on device OS 4.2.2 and higher .

takeshi 12-11-2008 11:25 AM

Quote:

Then send remote wipe command. Upon wipe there would be no policy any more.

That's a pretty heavy-handed approach. It's like formatting your PC and reloading Windows to resolve an issue IMO. Unless you're just extremely picky a blank IT policy (i.e. no restrictions) is equivalent to not having one, IIRC. If you really want an IT policy removed there are detailed instructions available if you search.