BlackBerry Forums Support Community

BlackBerry Forums Support Community (http://www.blackberryforums.com/index.php)
-   General BlackBerry Discussion (http://www.blackberryforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   BB messenger over wifi with data plan (http://www.blackberryforums.com/showthread.php?t=226957)

javibueno 05-20-2010 03:38 AM

BB messenger over wifi with data plan

Hello,

I am using 8520 Curve and I do have a data plan. I've heard that this BB allows you to use BB messenger over wifi (as long as you have data plan ofc), so if you didn't have coverage you would still be able to chat over wifi.

My gf lives in a flat where she can hardly have coverage, so BB messenger's messages won't arrive till she's got coverage. She has the same BB as me and I am getting mad with all the BB settings since i don't really know when i am using wifi or gprs(the wifi logo is always grayed out).

Thank you in advance!

taup41 05-20-2010 04:17 AM

Mate this is an easy one, just switch of your GPRS setting and only run it on WIFI and chat to your hearts content.I have not heard you need an active phone service to make BBM work???

javibueno 05-20-2010 04:23 AM

How do i change the gprs setting? i have tried to turn mobile service off (then "OFF" appears at the top right) and then chat but the messages can't be send...

MidnightDraven 05-20-2010 04:36 AM

That would be because your wi-fi icon remains GREY.
A connection to BIS via wi-fi (so u can BBM) should show a WHITE wi-fi icon.

javibueno 05-20-2010 04:38 AM

I've never seen this icon white!

why??

devnull 05-20-2010 05:48 AM

Does BBM work with "Mobile service" enabled?

If yes to above, you have a problem with setup between BB and wireless router. Reboot your wireless router for starts.

If no to above, you have a problem with your data plan. Call your carrier to confirm proper provisioning.

dankarlinski 05-20-2010 06:20 AM

Wirelessly posted (White and Nerdy)

Are you properly connected to the wifi router?

javibueno 05-20-2010 10:52 AM

BBM works perfect if Mobile Network is enabled (although wifi icon is always grey).

My problem is when Mobile Network is disabled due to the fact that I cannot use BBM... I compared with a partner who has the same BB (8520 Curve) and she has the wifi logo white and when her Mobile Network is disabled BBM still works.

In service book theres something missing in comparison with my partner's one: IPPP for BIBS [IPPP]. I found this website in which there's something explained about it: http... help.notify.net/TechDocs/device/BBP/UserGuide/NetHelp/default.htm?turl=WordDocuments%2Fnetworksettings1. htm (put http... together, since i have only 3 posts i can't post links xD)

I've also called Vodafone and told me that everything was working so i should email blackberry and they will find out my problem.... I've done that but I am afraid they won't do anything cuz I think the problem is in my data plan (Am I right?)

Thanks!

MidnightDraven 05-20-2010 01:09 PM

Try resending your service books.

javibueno 05-20-2010 02:51 PM

I also tried this... first pulling off the battery (didn't work), and then sending service books again.

any ideas? will blackberry.net solve my problem?

javibueno 05-21-2010 05:12 AM

can my carrier send me the IPPP for BIBS which is missing in my BB??

hrbuckley 05-21-2010 07:12 AM

If you have a properly configured Blackberry data plan re-sending service books should have got you the BIBS service book. It sounds like you may have a configuration error on your plan and need to talk to your provider.

javibueno 05-21-2010 09:31 AM

I will call today and tell them to re-install my data plan again and see what happens...

penguin3107 05-21-2010 10:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by javibueno (Post 1609262)
I will call today and tell them to re-install my data plan again and see what happens...

Make sure it is a BLACKBERRY data plan.

javibueno 05-21-2010 11:48 AM

if it wasnt, would i be able to use bbm? cause i can but just by gprs,not by wifi...

javibueno 05-22-2010 10:54 AM

Hello again guys!

I've compared with the same BB and the same carrier (which works perfect) and we have the same service books and same wifi diagnostic (but we have not tested in the same wifi).

I've been wondering and I don't know if this wifi problem is due to the fact that my BB is unlocked. I unlocked it in order to save money because Movistar gave me the BB and I wanted the data plan from Vodafone. Is it a problem?

devnull 05-22-2010 02:28 PM

How did you unlock it?

I'm still thinking it has something to do with your wifi connection. Is it possible to test your device on your partners wifi and vice versa.

javibueno 05-22-2010 03:53 PM

I'll try! I unlocked it via tianya.es, via IMEI. At university we have wifi and mine doesn't work but a friend of mine one's does so I am not sure if it is the wifi config.

tsac 05-22-2010 04:32 PM

An IT policy can prevent the BB from receiving BBM over WIFI. Does it have one or did you fully clear the OS ? Another restriction is the Carrier service can do the same thing by placing the restriction on the BB itself. Best thing to do is call the carrier and make sure the Blackberry Data plan does not have any restrictions.

javibueno 05-22-2010 05:06 PM

They told me there were not restrictions and I have a friend with the same BB and the same Data Plan. The only difference is that her BB is from Vodafone (the carrier we have the Data Plan with) and mine is from Movistar but unlocked.

About the IT i know nothing (neither what it means). How can I know if my BB has one? The problem is not just with BBM, is the whole data plan working over wifi.(wifi logo grayed out always)

thanks!!!