BlackBerry Forums Support Community

BlackBerry Forums Support Community (http://www.blackberryforums.com/index.php)
-   General 9500 Series Discussion - Storm (http://www.blackberryforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=122)
-   -   4.7.0.75 Memory Leak (http://www.blackberryforums.com/showthread.php?t=162917)

rachamphetamine 12-02-2008 07:42 PM

4.7.0.75 Memory Leak

Is anyone else experiencing a serious memory leak with this OS? Two days ago after upgrading from .65 I was at 47 MB, yesterday I was at something like 27 MB, and a few hours ago I discovered I had 13 MB left. I did a battery pull and came back up to 43 MB. Now, a couple hours after that battery pull, I'm down to 40 MB and I have used exactly zero applications and sent zero texts, emails, etc. in that time period.

Is it just my phone, or has anyone else noticed this, too?

Cochese 12-02-2008 08:13 PM

I have 25230528 available before a battery pull...

41769032 bytes available after...

TroyDBrown 12-02-2008 08:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rachamphetamine (Post 1193330)
Is anyone else experiencing a serious memory leak with this OS? Two days ago after upgrading from .65 I was at 47 MB, yesterday I was at something like 27 MB, and a few hours ago I discovered I had 13 MB left. I did a battery pull and came back up to 43 MB. Now, a couple hours after that battery pull, I'm down to 40 MB and I have used exactly zero applications and sent zero texts, emails, etc. in that time period.

Is it just my phone, or has anyone else noticed this, too?

I have noticed it a bit. When I pickup the Storm off the table there is always a pool on memory around it.

rachamphetamine 12-02-2008 08:29 PM

Whew, I forgot to mention that part of it. I'm considering getting a bucket just to help contain the memory!

TroyDBrown 12-02-2008 08:34 PM

It is a little scary. Do the Options > Status and you can watch the memory leak out it if you give it a few.

mouseware 12-02-2008 08:46 PM

i have noticed that you have to properly close every application or the phone just crawls. did it with .65 just as bad tho

TroyDBrown 12-02-2008 08:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mouseware (Post 1193390)
i have noticed that you have to properly close every application or the phone just crawls. did it with .65 just as bad tho

I agree and with the significant improvements in .75 I am not complaining much. I do hope this is addressed soon.

noeffectx 12-02-2008 09:19 PM

nothing new here. all blackberries got memory leakage :D

I got used to pulling the battery at least one's every 2 weeks on all my bbs.

ArgonNJ 12-02-2008 09:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by noeffectx (Post 1193423)
nothing new here. all blackberries got memory leakage :D

Yeah, but not to the tune of what they are talking about here. Sounds like a major issue to me.

TroyDBrown 12-02-2008 09:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ArgonNJ (Post 1193425)
Yeah, but not to the tune of what they are talking about here. Sounds like a major issue to me.

Yes it does appear to be pretty big.

dylanleonard1122 12-02-2008 09:29 PM

for any tech savvy person? how does a memory leak occur? and im not looking for an answer like "the memory lid wasn't screwed on tightly" =]

and this question is just because im curious

mundyb 12-02-2008 09:31 PM

I've been doing a battery pull about once a day to keep it operating smoothly. But I didn't realize it could be a memory leak until I saw the post.

Putting it on one of those super absorbent coasters works for me.hehe

PHLAK 12-02-2008 09:32 PM

Been running .75 since yesterday, seems to be running fine. Just did a battery pull, free memory prior: 10.3MB, after: 41.0MB. Seems you are right... 30MB of memory should not be consumed in ~24hours.

pandaman 12-02-2008 09:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dylanleonard1122 (Post 1193437)
for any tech savvy person? how does a memory leak occur? and im not looking for an answer like "the memory lid wasn't screwed on tightly" =]

and this question is just because im curious

When an application is fired up, it (the run-time software) is loaded into system memory. Depending on operations the program performs, it 'asks' (allocates) the operating system for more memory, which it uses to store/arrange data. If the program does not properly release the memory (i.e. once the use of the memory allocation has been completed), that "piece" of memory is classified as a leak. If there is an inherent flaw in the program, such that it continues to perform the same operation which continues to allocate memory without later releasing it, the program's memory footprint grows and grows, to the point where there is little or no system memory free for other programs to use.

The term leak is probably not ideal because it implies some kind of loss of data, when in fact the program is losing track of its memory allocation/consumption.

In most cases once an offending (leaking) program is killed, all of its associated memory is freed --> problem solved. If the memory leak is inside the operating system kernel, then the only way to free the memory is to reboot, unless ofcourse you can isolate the offending part of the kernel, terminate and then re-start it.

Modern programming languages such as C# and Java alleviate this problem with internal features known as "garbage collection" == something which routinely checks for unused memory and frees it up for the operating system to use.

rachamphetamine 12-02-2008 09:55 PM

I'm used to memory leaks, so I don't mind doing a battery pull every now and then but I was just shocked to see that it was that low already. However, I have been putting on and taking apps off pretty steadily, so it could just be an isolated event. I seem to be holding steady at 40 MB for now, so I'll just keep an eye on it. I was mostly just wondering if anyone else had experienced this.. but maybe I'll just keep the memory catching bucket handy..

Donbp 12-02-2008 10:22 PM

I haven't noticed anymore leak than .65. I start out with 55 meg and lose about 5 meg a day with .75.

Mark_Venture 12-03-2008 01:21 PM

I might get flamed for this but...

Unless the "File Free" space gets below 1meg, I don't think there is any need to worry about "memory leaks"

To check... go {home screen} -> Options -> Status.

If the free space runs out (or runs down to about 500k or less available), the BB starts deleting messages to make room to store new stuff. So that is the only reason to really worry about "leaks"

This is true of all BB's.

Going from 40Meg avail to 30meg avail under normal use is ok, and not really to be worried about.

Its the true memory leaks that take the free space down to 0, and cause things to be deleted from the BB, that can happen, you should worry about.

NONE of my BB's (including 7230, 7290, 8700, 8100, 8130, 8820, 8120, and Storm) have leaked down to the point where things started dissapearing on me. And except for my Verizon BB's (8130 and Storm), I use my BB's on my BES every day for work too.

But I've seen people have this problem (get down to 0, and stuff starts dissapearing), including my GF's Pearl/8130.

i.e. while it happens, its not common.

misterbulldog 12-03-2008 01:48 PM

I installed .75 on my Storm late last night. After reading this post I checked and noticed I had 33MB free. Did the battery pull and am up to 49MB free. I'll check the Status more often just to see what's happening. I never noticed this before on any of my previous BB's because I fool around with them so much (no pun intended!) that I had frequent cause for reboots or battery pulls.

YoYoSlap 12-03-2008 01:55 PM

just checked and was surprised to see avalable memory was down to 7mb. i dont even have navigator or documents to go installed! just did a battery pull and now have 37.8mb which is still lower than the 40 something i had available right after updating to .75

This is a wicked leak

TheBigNewt 12-03-2008 02:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PHLAK (Post 1193442)
Been running .75 since yesterday, seems to be running fine. Just did a battery pull, free memory prior: 10.3MB, after: 41.0MB. Seems you are right... 30MB of memory should not be consumed in ~24hours.

Quote:

Originally Posted by YoYoSlap (Post 1194465)
just checked and was surprised to see avalable memory was down to 7mb. i dont even have navigator or documents to go installed! just did a battery pull and now have 37.8mb which is still lower than the 40 something i had available right after updating to .75

This is a wicked leak

Below about 10mb is getting pretty iffy IMO. The other thing is why some have 40mb free after a pull and others over 50mb. I know the whole memory leak theory but other BBs leak and level off at well over half of what they start with. My wife's Curve never gets a battery pull and hangs around 18-22mb all the time.