BlackBerry Forums Support Community

BlackBerry Forums Support Community (http://www.blackberryforums.com/index.php)
-   Rumor Mill (http://www.blackberryforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   BlackBerry Phone + 802.11N WiFI (http://www.blackberryforums.com/showthread.php?t=206538)

TallPaul86 10-07-2009 06:15 PM

BlackBerry Phone + 802.11N WiFI

Who else here thinks this would be an AWESOME combo?

I have read a quick wee glance over the details of the 802.11N standard and to make the transition from Draft-N to Full-N Compliance is a matter of a firmware update as opposed to anything hardware related! (info courtesy of CNET

Now i know that the Draft-N to Full-N firmware upgrade is mentioned only by the Wi-Fi Alliance's word however if this is true then surely RIM could implement it in it's upcoming devices?

With Apps like WiFi File Transfer on the BlackBerry App World, you might not need a cable... Ever!

Thoughts?

NJBlackBerry 10-07-2009 06:38 PM

I double the current class of processors could handle it.
And it won't get my e-mail there any quicker.

TallPaul86 10-07-2009 06:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NJBlackBerry (Post 1484986)
And it won't get my e-mail there any quicker.

That made me chuckle! Thanks for that!

I assume that the N-Wireless technology would only be of benefit to those which have the Snapdragon processor (i.e. 1GHz or better) and at least 512mb RAM to reap the benefits?

Would this feature not also be beneficial for T-Mobile customers with the UMA?

NJBlackBerry 10-07-2009 06:49 PM

I have UMA. Wireless-N really won't help my phone calls make it throught faster either ;-)

RedSoxFan 10-09-2009 07:39 AM

God, I can't wait until Verizon releases a BB with WiFi. I work in an environment where cell phone coverage isn't good during the day. I will at least be able to connect to WiFi to receive mail etc.

MidnightDraven 10-09-2009 09:27 AM

The tour with wi-fi is rumoured, but no news on release date.

Codito 10-10-2009 06:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RedSoxFan (Post 1485913)
God, I can't wait until Verizon releases a BB with WiFi. I work in an environment where cell phone coverage isn't good during the day. I will at least be able to connect to WiFi to receive mail etc.

Be jealous of my t-mobile UMA :P

TallPaul86 10-11-2009 08:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Midnightdraven (Post 1485958)
The tour with wi-fi is rumoured, but no news on release date.

I wonder if the Tour with Wi-Fi would ever make an appearance over here in the UK - i doubt it but it would make for a truly "World Phone" having both GSM and CDMA bands

skeevecr 10-12-2009 02:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TallPaul86 (Post 1486930)
I wonder if the Tour with Wi-Fi would ever make an appearance over here in the UK - i doubt it but it would make for a truly "World Phone" having both GSM and CDMA bands

How many countries are there that only have a cdma network, gsm is only needed on a cdma to make those a world phone due to the lack of worldwide cdma support.