BlackBerry Forums Support Community

BlackBerry Forums Support Community (http://www.blackberryforums.com/index.php)
-   General BlackBerry Discussion (http://www.blackberryforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   DM 5.0 and Outlook Profiles, help please! (http://www.blackberryforums.com/showthread.php?t=212103)

scottd.home 11-28-2009 09:33 PM

DM 5.0 and Outlook Profiles, help please!

I installed Outlook 2007 and set-up two Profiles for two different email accounts. I just downloaded DM 5.0 and ran the synch wizard. I thought it would give me the option to choose a Profile to synch, but the wizard finished and the phone only synchs to one Profile...and no Profile option is available. How do I set-up the synch in DM so that it will give me the option to select a profile, and allow me to synch with any Profile I select?

aiharkness 11-28-2009 09:57 PM

Wirelessly posted (8820)

Do you mean you created two profiles in Outlook for two email accounts that _you_ use? Or one profile for you, and another for someone else who used Outlook under the same windows login?

With respect to Desktop Manager, look at the Options link near the top right, and click it. Do you see Profile options as a selection?

scottd.home 11-29-2009 07:33 AM

DM and Outlook setup

Thanks Ira for your help again!. In Outlook, I setup two Profiles (two different email accounts) for myself, under the same Windows logon and password. According to the instructions, upon booting Outlook an options window allows you to select which Outlook account you wish to open. You cannot switch between accounts without closing Outlook first.

In DM, the "Options" menu lets you select between "Connections" and "Data Folder options".

The "Connections" window lets you specify USB and Bluetooth options.

The "Data Folder" options lets you "specify a folder for storing configuration data for organizer data synchronization" and gives you two choices: "Use the default folder suggested by Windows-recommended", or Use the specified folder, which ic currently defaulting to Users/Scott/AppData/Roaming/ResearchinMotion/Blackberry

It seems there should have been a step during the installation/setup of DM to enable an "option" window similar to the way it operates in Outlook when i have the opportunity to choose between the email accounts. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

aiharkness 11-29-2009 08:23 AM

Wirelessly posted (8820)

Your setup sounds like my case, multiple email addresses that are mine. Just use one profile with multiple email accounts. Just add the other same way as you added the first, and set one as the default. When you compose, you will have an "account" button below "send" to use to change the sending email account.

On DM, if you are running the latest DM 5.0.1, you should have the profiles option.

Was that you who asked the other day about getting the "choose profile" prompt when running a DM update? I'm just trying to understand if that was you, but if for some reason you still don't have the profile option in DM options.

How about launching DM, click help, and then click check for updates.

Also, click About Desktop Manager. What version is it? (Mine is 5.0.1.28 Nov 11 2009.)

tsac 11-29-2009 11:21 AM

I have 5.0.0 and use 3 profiles. Set the option to prompt when DM is loading and you should have no problem. As Ira stated, it's in the options dropdown top right corner.

aiharkness 11-29-2009 11:30 AM

Wirelessly posted (8820)

Quote:

Originally Posted by tsac
I have 5.0.0 and use 3 profiles. Set the option to prompt when DM is loading and you should have no problem. As Ira stated, it's in the options dropdown top right corner.

That's curious. I'm almost certain I did not have the profile option in DM until the latest 5.0.1 update the other day.

Do you use different profiles for your different email addresses that you use, or is it for email addresses for different users that share the computer?

tsac 11-29-2009 12:04 PM

DM 5.0.0.11 July 1 2009 version.
I use it for my own different email addresses. Never tried to use it for different users on the same PC....interesting concept.

scottd.home 11-29-2009 02:55 PM

Nope, profile options not working!

I have set-up two different Outlook Profiles for myself (not different users), and each profile corresponds to a different email account. Yesterday I downloaded DM 5.0.1.28 (Nov 11, 2009), and as I said earlier, when I click on the "Options" box in the right-hand corner, I get two choices, "Connection Options" and Data Folder options.

I do not have any choices that let me choose between my two Outlook profiles. Apparently both of you are able to go to Options and switch profiles easily...and I'm not! What's up with this?

aiharkness 11-29-2009 03:13 PM

Wirelessly posted (8820)

The only thing I can think to try is download the DM v. 5.0.1 installer and run it. I belive it will prompt you to select what you want to do, change the setup or uninstall. You could try changing the settings and see where that gets you. Or, uninstall and reinstall.

See if anyone has a better idea. I think I would try the modify configuration option first.

SteveO86 11-29-2009 05:07 PM

I believe you can choose with Profile to sync with, in the advanced options of the each PIM type.

I have 2 Outlook profiles and set my BB to sync with 1 particular profile.

scottd.home 11-29-2009 07:28 PM

follow-up

SteveO86, but can you from select (when in DM) which Outlook Profile you want to synch with?

aiharkness 11-29-2009 07:36 PM

Wirelessly posted (8820)

Scott, with your two profiles in Outlook, you have two calendars, two notepads, and two task lists, correct?

Do you also have two pst files, or does Outlook combine the profiles into one pst?

SteveO86 11-29-2009 07:46 PM

When you initiall setup the PIM Sync, it asks which profile you want to sync with. (The screen after you select the direction of the sync.)

Of course if you intend to sync multiple profiles you need to reconfigure the sync prior.

scottd.home 11-29-2009 07:49 PM

aiharkness, I have two pst files, one for each profile pst1 and post2. Each profile has its own unique calendars, notepads, etc.

tsac 11-29-2009 07:51 PM

I reloaded the DM and still see the option to select different profiles.

scottd.home 11-29-2009 07:56 PM

question

when you ran the DM installation, were you ever given the opportunity to select a profile, or did it default to a profile, or did it have some other option that enables you to see all the profiles? by the way, thanks very much for the time you've taken trying to help!

SteveO86 11-29-2009 07:57 PM

1 Attachment(s)
To sync multiple profiles, you will need to re-configure the sync every time.

I attached a screen shot of the screen where you set the profile.

scottd.home 11-29-2009 08:06 PM

steps

so, do you use the "reset configuration" button/option to take you back to the place where you can select a profile? thats the only way I can see to do it. is there another easier way?

SteveO86 11-29-2009 08:20 PM

You don't have to reset the sync but you can.

You can just go into the "Synchronization" and hit the "setup" button on that specific PIM app

tsac 11-29-2009 08:39 PM

1 Attachment(s)
This is what i get to select the profile. easy to select the profile to use