BlackBerry Forums Support Community

BlackBerry Forums Support Community (http://www.blackberryforums.com/index.php)
-   General 9800 Series Discussion - Torch (http://www.blackberryforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=142)
-   -   BB Torch now a FREE phone :O (http://www.blackberryforums.com/showthread.php?t=239207)

cobo808 11-02-2010 01:21 PM

BB Torch now a FREE phone :O

Wowzers...looks like the Torch is now a free phone. Not a bad deal, eh?

AmazonWireless: BlackBerry Torch 9800 Phone (AT&T)

:bb::bb:

knottyrope 11-02-2010 04:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cobo808 (Post 1670346)

When you purchase your device with service from AmazonWireless.com, we automatically pass along an instant discount from the carrier to you. This discount has been provided to you based on your agreement to (a) activate a new, or extend an existing, line of service for this device with the carrier, and (b) maintain this service in good standing for a minimum of 181 consecutive days. If you do not activate or extend a line of service in connection with this device, or if your service is canceled/disconnected before 181 consecutive days, AmazonWireless.com will charge you $250 per device, plus applicable taxes.

cobo808 11-02-2010 04:38 PM

Not sure how this is a negative....why buy a phone with a contract if you're going to cancel in 6 months?

What you're suggesting is that people buy from Verizon or some other seller and pay a lot more, on the extremely unlikely chance that they would decide to cancel.

In other words, you're saying that people should spend $200 (the price differential between Amazon and AT&T) to avoid a tiny chance of having to pay a $50 penalty later.

cobo808 11-09-2010 10:42 AM

It looks like the Torch is now the #1 selling phone on Amazon. I guess being free helps :)

Quote:

knottyrope 11-09-2010 01:09 PM

Just make sure the warranty is there before proceding.

Since it was not bought from AT&T you have to deal with Amazon.
info here
AmazonWireless

duane534 11-09-2010 02:37 PM

The warranty is by the OEM. Doesn't matter where you buy it.

endure161 11-09-2010 04:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by duane534 (Post 1672728)
The warranty is by the OEM. Doesn't matter where you buy it.

Sorry, but RIM will not help with warranty issues directly. They refer any issues back to the provider. I had a T-Mobile branded Blackberry last year that I used on the AT&T network. When it failed very shortly after buying it (new), T-Mobile would not give warranty service because I was not a T-Mobile service customer and it was unlocked to use on another network. AT&T would not help because they did not provide it. RIM insisted that the service provider had to handle all warranty issues. RIM would not deal directly with me as an individual user. So, I was stuck with a choice of paying for repairs by an independent shop or chucking it in the trash....

My current phones (my 9800 and wife's 9700) were bought through Amazon. The 9700 had to be replaced. Amazon shipped a replacement and it arrived the following day. Old phone went back to Amazon after the new one was activated. All at no cost to me. That is as good as it can get!!!

PingGolfGuy 11-15-2010 11:27 AM

Re: BB Torch now a FREE phone :O

Well, not free for everyone I guess. I'm upgrading a family plan line and they wanted $149.99 at Amazon for this option. A new family line was $99.99. Upgrading an existing single line was $29.99 and a NEW individual line was $0.01

I'll just go through AT&T online and get the $99 deal for an upgrade to the family plan line.

duane534 11-15-2010 08:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by endure161 (Post 1672764)
I had a T-Mobile branded Blackberry last year that I used on the AT&T network. When it failed very shortly after buying it (new), T-Mobile would not give warranty service because I was not a T-Mobile service customer and it was unlocked to use on another network.

That sounds like T-Mobile being shady. That type of thing is why I'm no longer their customer.

nathan62969 11-15-2010 10:42 PM

I asked this in another thread:

After buying a Torch via Amazon for
$99.99 six weeks ago, ...I can't help wondering about the economics, Amazon and/or RIM and/or ATT and/or otherwise, behind this now (!?) free-to-much cheaper offer of what seems to me as a truly awesome phone that must not be cheap to have produced? I do realize that competition with iPhone4 and android OS phones may have something to do with it, and that ATT may very well be making up the sum with its scale and the contract offer -- anyone have any additional insight as to this dumping, clearinghouse or ??? of the Torch onto the market?
Posted via BlackBerryForums.com Mobile

knottyrope 11-17-2010 08:53 PM

increase sales and add in more dataplans

davidccaballero 11-27-2010 09:07 PM

This.

Quote:

Originally Posted by knottyrope (Post 1675229)
increase sales and add in more dataplans

tsac 11-27-2010 09:11 PM

BestBuy had them for $50.00 this week.

davidccaballero 12-17-2010 07:22 AM

Had to return the Torch for repairs...experienced no problems.

Quote:

Cooper 12-17-2010 12:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by duane534 (Post 1674587)
That sounds like T-Mobile being shady. That type of thing is why I'm no longer their customer.

How are they being shady? You took a phone branded by them, unlocked it and used a service from another carrier.

You are not a customer of theirs so they say "screw off"

It would be somewhat (but not exactly) similar to buying an HP machine with a WD hard drive in it. You go to WD and they say "go to HP for warranty"

BUT you bought the HP comptuer from BestBuy/Futureshop, so HP says "deal with the reseller"

Trojano 12-17-2010 01:27 PM

Well is sounds a very good deal but I'll have to look in to it because my daughters are determined that I buy them this phone.

YVR Rich 12-18-2010 02:48 PM

Does the deal for the phone only available to new clients? Is it available for upgrades and how long of a contract do you have to sign? The reason I ask is that the Torch is available for $99 but only to new customers! Upgrade price is still $179

nathan62969 12-18-2010 04:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by YVR Rich (Post 1686021)
Does the deal for the phone only available to new clients? Is it available for upgrades and how long of a contract do you have to sign? The reason I ask is that the Torch is available for $99 but only to new customers! Upgrade price is still $179

It might have to do with whatever factors ATT determines your upgrade eligibility?...

I was with ATT with my 9000 for 1.5 years which I got thru Amazon, and I was eligible for an upgrade to the Torch for $99 via Amazon (late September)...

Did you go thru the eligible for upgrade steps on the amazon > buy torch page?

Posted via BlackBerryForums.com Mobile

AndyLee 12-18-2010 04:29 PM

If you get a Torch, make sure you update the OS to .246 (stable) or .377

Snaker190 12-19-2010 08:33 PM

went it came out it catch every one attention ..my too
the true is that the 8900 look hot also is really easy to use
alot of people like it