BlackBerry Forums Support Community

BlackBerry Forums Support Community (http://www.blackberryforums.com/index.php)
-   BlackBerry Versus (http://www.blackberryforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=123)
-   -   Blackberry VS IPhone (http://www.blackberryforums.com/showthread.php?t=120264)

hogan21 03-01-2008 10:28 AM

Blackberry VS IPhone

Just wondering if anybody had a blackberry and switched to a Iphone. I have a blackberry and i love it, but the iphone looks really good too. Or did somebody get an iphone and wished they kept there bb. thanks

JSanders 03-01-2008 11:02 AM

First, welcome to the BBF.

it is all personal opinion. You will find both camps here, Those who had one and ran screaming to BB, and some who have both. The iPhone is great for internet browsing and viewing.

http://www.blackberryforums.com/gene...ghlight=iPhone
http://www.blackberryforums.com/rant...ghlight=iPhone

ArgonNJ 03-01-2008 11:26 AM

I switched to the iphone phone about a week ago. Prior to that I had the 8830 on Sprint. Overall I like the iphone better. It really does depend on what you want though. The iphone is a great multimedia device. It has a great internet browser, the best out there. It is an ipod. It plays youtube videos, you may not think its a big deal, I didn't, until I found myself sitting around with nothing to do at work. It was good to kill about 30 minutes or so. The full HTML email is nice as well.

Now the areas where I liked the BB better. Network speed, EDGE sucks, I miss my EVDO on Sprint. Keyboard, the BB is slightly better then the touch keyboard of the iphone. The iphone keyboard really isn't that bad and it certainly is easier then suretype, but the full QWERTY on my 8830 was better. Notifications. When you get an email on the iphone phone, you get a weak sounding tone which half of the time you can't hear. I liked being able to assign different alerts to different email accounts on the BB. Changing it on the iphone would be a simple software upgrade by Apple, but as of now its weak.

Overall I'm very happy with my iphone as I like the multimedia features of the device. If you want that then I recommend the iphone (though it looks as if RIM is heading in that direction as well, give it a year or so). If you just want a solid device with a phone, basic organizer functions and plain jane email then stick with the BB.

JSanders 03-01-2008 11:49 AM

Similar to the other reviews.

Quote:

Originally Posted by ArgonNJ (Post 855679)
plain jane email then stick with the BB.

plain jane email? not with one of the HTML viewer apps. But then again, BB email is faster and more seamless to receive and view without all that html coding and images.

ArgonNJ 03-01-2008 12:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JSanders (Post 855690)
Similar to the other reviews.

plain jane email? not with one of the HTML viewer apps. But then again, BB email is faster and more seamless to receive and view without all that html coding and images.

True, but since most email now has either rich text or html in it, the stock viewer is plain. I will give you its faster, but personally I would rather get the email as it was intended.

JSanders 03-01-2008 12:06 PM

The updated OS has pretty cool email viewing. Not the most graphic intense, but much easier to read.

shawn1899 03-01-2008 12:27 PM

don't do it,,, stick with the blackberry. I had the Iphone for 4 days and it was cool but the blackberry just does email and everyday functions better. I couldnt get the hang of the Iphone keyboard either. Battery life on the Iphone is bad in my opinion.

ArgonNJ 03-01-2008 12:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JSanders (Post 855699)
The updated OS has pretty cool email viewing. Not the most graphic intense, but much easier to read.

Never got a chance to see that, heard it was better.

Papa-Pompous 03-01-2008 03:40 PM

A friend of mine had the Iphone and loved it, but I DO NOT like touch screen. Absolutely hate them. Such a bother. I love the track ball on the BBP and the sure type is freakin awesome once you get the hang of it. And with the growing memory cards you won't have to buy a whole new phone to upgrade memory. The Iphone does support a cool browser but I don't like it when it brings up the keyboard. I like the keyboard separate from the screen, but maybe thats just me. I really truly love my black berry pearl. Thinking spoiling myself with a 12 GB card for it. 8-)

ricpac 03-01-2008 05:29 PM

The iPhone has the best mobile browser; BlackBerrys don't have Safari--yeah t'was made that way b/c that's the only thing that keeps BlackBerrys from perfection. Y'know if browsing was a no-issue on a BB, then we would have broken the c in E=mc^2

DallasFlier 03-01-2008 05:32 PM

Question of the year: How many different but totally redundant "BlackBerry vs iPhone" threads can exist on BBF at the same time? (n)

juliohaynie 03-01-2008 07:24 PM

Not again...

roofus 03-01-2008 07:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DallasFlier (Post 855872)
Question of the year: How many different but totally redundant "BlackBerry vs iPhone" threads can exist on BBF at the same time? (n)

How many Steve Jobs aka "the Jobster(s)" can dance on the head of a pin?

cwosigns 03-01-2008 10:10 PM

I've been a BlackBerry user for several years. I got an iPhone last October; I'm a diehard Mac fan. It's a great device. Great screen, music & videos, best browser on a mobile device ever. The email was even pretty good for a while (Yahoo Push Mail suddenly stopped pushing and no one could tell me why). But BlackBerry email just works and if it stops working, you know it'll be fixed. I ended up buying a Curve and I switch phones as my wants/needs change. If I wanna leave work behind for a bit, I use the iPhone. If I want to be connected via push email, IM, Facebook...I use the Curve. Since I got the Curve, I haven't used the iPhone. But it's only been a week and a half.

wabbit 03-02-2008 01:55 AM

Wirelessly posted (8830: BlackBerry8830/4.2.2 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/105)

If you want a toy get an iphone for everyrhing else a berry

stlduckhunter 03-02-2008 08:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JSanders (Post 855699)

When are we going to get the "updated" OS?

tsac 03-02-2008 09:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hogan21 (Post 855632)
Just wondering if anybody had a blackberry and switched to a Iphone. I have a blackberry and i love it, but the iphone looks really good too. Or did somebody get an iphone and wished they kept there bb. thanks

There was a post some time ago from someone who used the BB SIM chip in his new Iphone. Not sure if it's does work well but do a search and read the post. Both phones were on ATT

ArgonNJ 03-02-2008 11:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wabbit (Post 856374)
Wirelessly posted (8830: BlackBerry8830/4.2.2 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/105)

If you want a toy get an iphone for everyrhing else a berry

Thank you for your completely unbiased opinion.

wabbit 03-03-2008 07:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ArgonNJ (Post 856545)
Thank you for your completely unbiased opinion.

yw ;-)

arazu 03-15-2008 02:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ArgonNJ (Post 855697)
True, but since most email now has either rich text or html in it, the stock viewer is plain. I will give you its faster, but personally I would rather get the email as it was intended.

As it was intended? Do you mean morons who add backgrounds, odd fonts, animated signatures, etc?

I would say BB is better for business. iPhone is good for personal use. Its like Vista vs. XP. No corporation in their right mind would use Vista but its fine for home use. Still not up to par for home use though.