BlackBerry Forums Support Community

BlackBerry Forums Support Community (http://www.blackberryforums.com/index.php)
-   General PlayBook Discussion (http://www.blackberryforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=149)
-   -   What did you do with your Playbook today? (http://www.blackberryforums.com/showthread.php?t=248392)

darkmanCANADA 05-03-2011 09:41 PM

What did you do with your Playbook today?

I spent 3 hours away from my desk. Even used Evernote (web) for a meeting.

ZombieBerry 05-04-2011 03:23 AM

Re: What did you do with your Playbook today?

Killed the morning with vchat, had to hit the ground running at work. PB to the rescue. Recorded an internal training video using the PB (with a pretty cool rigged tripod)
Loaded my PB with all my MSDS sheets (Happy freaken day!!!!!)
All of my forms were ported from Laptop to my PB, still doing it now as I type.

Having a great time with it!

aiharkness 05-04-2011 08:46 AM

Email, some web browsing following the news, blackberryforums.com of course. Set up and played with the video chat app.

Something very helpful to me is that when I am in a building that all but blocks the cell signal and I do not have wifi, I can put the handset up on a windowsill and do email and so forth all day with the bridge. Cool.

darkmanCANADA 05-04-2011 09:36 AM

aiharkness, have you heard of the "firewall connection issues" with vchat? Is there anything special I have to do? Tried at work (Juniper SSG5 firewall appliance), Starbucks free wifi, and at home (Linksys 610n router). All get the same firewall error on the PB. Is there a setting I am missing?

aiharkness 05-04-2011 10:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by darkmanCANADA (Post 1719232)
aiharkness, have you heard of the "firewall connection issues" with vchat? Is there anything special I have to do? Tried at work (Juniper SSG5 firewall appliance), Starbucks free wifi, and at home (Linksys 610n router). All get the same firewall error on the PB. Is there a setting I am missing?

I have seen posts from others. I don't know anything. I can believe some networks are set to block video chat. I can imagine the videochat being buggy. And I can imagine users having something running on their system that they do not realize is running or appears to the PlayBook as a firewall. If it isn't your network, I don't see what you can do; but there are people having trouble even on their own personal network. So far I haven't seen any solutions posted.

I tested with my wife with both of us on our home network and it was flawless. Seeing the issues some others are having, I am anticipating trouble when I am on someone else's network, say hotel wifi.

ZombieBerry 05-04-2011 10:05 AM

True. I have also read a few posts listing this as a major problem for them. I have also heard that a reboot of either, or both devices is needed for it to work. This is not always possible (Starbucks, Public WiFi, etc...) I have tested mine at home and work. I haven't tested the vchat while roaming any free ones yet.

stevetaz 05-04-2011 10:10 AM

What did you do with your Playbook today?

Nothing yet....I have this pesky job that keeps getting in the way of playtime.....:cry:

ifonline 05-04-2011 10:12 AM

Don't 'cha just hate that? Of course, it doesn't seem to be getting in the way of surfing the internet...

stevetaz 05-04-2011 10:45 AM

Of course not, it is business related because I am on the company issued laptop.....

Silly boy!

ifonline 05-04-2011 10:58 AM

Ah... much like "I must have money because I still have blank checks."

OVERKILL 05-04-2011 12:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ZombieBerry (Post 1719238)
True. I have also read a few posts listing this as a major problem for them. I have also heard that a reboot of either, or both devices is needed for it to work. This is not always possible (Starbucks, Public WiFi, etc...) I have tested mine at home and work. I haven't tested the vchat while roaming any free ones yet.

If it helps, no issues for us using video chat. Both networks are behind Cisco gear. Tried behind an IPCop box, no issues either.

aiharkness 05-04-2011 05:36 PM

darkman, did you see Firewall Preventing Video Chat - BlackBerry Forums at CrackBerry.com over at crackberry.com?

darkmanCANADA 05-05-2011 10:22 AM

OK saw that yesterday but if you were on public WiFi how do you put your PB in the DMZ, enable UPnP and allow those ports?

aiharkness 05-05-2011 10:43 AM

On public wifi/hotspot, you do without if video chat is blocked or otherwise not functional on the network, as far as I know. And I would assume that if you did find a way to trick the network, it may not last for long, after which you may find yourself locked out altogether.