BlackBerry Forums Support Community

BlackBerry Forums Support Community (http://www.blackberryforums.com/index.php)
-   General BlackBerry Discussion (http://www.blackberryforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   Do you use a phone and a BB or BB only? (http://www.blackberryforums.com/showthread.php?t=69)

mo-bile 08-20-2004 05:21 PM

Do you use a phone and a BB or BB only?

I can see pro's and con's for doing it both ways. One unit for all needs is nice. however, sometimes, you don't want to be carrying around a BB in your pocket or clipped to your belt. Going out at night is one instance where a small phone is sufficent.

Curious to see how others do it as I'm debating that issue right now.

AndyVX 08-20-2004 05:24 PM

I use only my BB. I can't be bothered with having to switch out SIM's all the time, and I have no desire to pay for a seperate phone only line. :)

Tom 08-20-2004 05:26 PM

I am now using the blackberry as both email and phone.

Its been quite tricky at clubs sometimes, but hey.. what can I do.

Had it been a GSM phone, I would switch back and forth between the two.

bb_tech 08-20-2004 05:27 PM

I have a Rogers cellphone but since I get all data and voice for free on my BB I just forward my rogers phone to my BB. I am on a family plan with my gf so I cannot just cancel my service :)

scott 08-21-2004 07:15 PM

I use my 7510 95% of the time, I do also have an I830 but I use it mainly as a demo to show NEXTEL's GPS Services. With the new NEXTEL Blackberry coming out I hope to retire the I830 to that bottom draw of my desk with my I730, I90C, I80s Star Tac, and Bag phone

Gothalyptic 08-21-2004 10:37 PM

I use my BB as both also. Actually the thing at clubs has helped me sell phones ;) people ask "What the hell is that?" my response is "My computer" they ask "can you get online and check email too mister smarty pants?" I answer "yes, would you like one?" bang a sale ;) lol I love it, and am actually selling my V600 as I have no more use for it.

Stanley Pain 08-22-2004 12:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bb_tech
I have a Rogers cellphone but since I get all data and voice for free on my BB I just forward my rogers phone to my BB. I am on a family plan with my gf so I cannot just cancel my service :)

You wouldn't happen to work for Rogers would you?

Tom 08-22-2004 08:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stanley Pain
Quote:

Originally Posted by bb_tech

You wouldn't happen to work for Rogers would you?

I believe he does.

Stanley Pain 08-22-2004 10:41 AM

Wondering if he works in IMS :D

mo-bile 08-22-2004 11:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gothalyptic
I use my BB as both also. Actually the thing at clubs has helped me sell phones ;) people ask "What the hell is that?" my response is "My computer" they ask "can you get online and check email too mister smarty pants?" I answer "yes, would you like one?" bang a sale ;) lol I love it, and am actually selling my V600 as I have no more use for it.

I'm assuming this is what you do for a living? If so, then it makes perfect sense for you to carry one around at all times.

christiancrowe 08-22-2004 01:51 PM

I provide Blackberrys from several carriers to my clients in Nashville, TN. I use the 7510 because of the MDS service, Speakerphone, and PTT. There are times when I see how slim the GSM models are that I wish I had one, however I use my speakerphone all the time. With the Speakerphone, this thing is a desktop phone replacement, and I use it with my clients all the time when we call into the support desk together.
So to get to the point, I use my Blackberry for everything and Ill never go back.

Tom 08-22-2004 02:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by christiancrowe
I provide Blackberrys from several carriers to my clients in Nashville, TN. I use the 7510 because of the MDS service, Speakerphone, and PTT. There are times when I see how slim the GSM models are that I wish I had one, however I use my speakerphone all the time. With the Speakerphone, this thing is a desktop phone replacement, and I use it with my clients all the time when we call into the support desk together.
So to get to the point, I use my Blackberry for everything and Ill never go back.

:D Good to hear I wish I would of went with the 7510 but I really couldnt loose my number.

johnh 08-22-2004 02:13 PM

I went from sprint to att and a nokia 6820 and still was itching for a BB so i dumped that and went to TMO. I haven't looked back since. I use it for both and really have no problem with its size. It's as slim or slimmer than 95% of phone out there and the width doesn't bother me. It's very pocketable IMO.

Miss the bluetooth and speaker of the nokia but I'm getting by just fine :D

Tom 08-22-2004 02:20 PM

Thus far, the only thing I miss is the fact that my old cell phone was so much louder.. and when your driving and on hold or something, you can put it away from your ear and you can still hear when the person picks up.

johnh 08-22-2004 03:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Guess
Thus far, the only thing I miss is the fact that my old cell phone was so much louder.. and when your driving and on hold or something, you can put it away from your ear and you can still hear when the person picks up.

true - the bb's speaker is very weak. i always have it on max volume and it's typically smashed to my face unless i'm in a relatively quiet (ok, library-esque) environment

Tom 08-22-2004 10:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by johnh
Quote:

Originally Posted by Guess

true - the bb's speaker is very weak. i always have it on max volume and it's typically smashed to my face unless i'm in a relatively quiet (ok, library-esque) environment

Glad Im not the only one, I thought I was partially deaf for a second there.

johnh 08-22-2004 11:13 PM

yeah i did too. every now and then you get a shouter on the other end and it's like a normal cell phone. can speaker volume be tweaked with firmware (not physical limitations on how loud the speaker can go but how much juice the speaker gets)? it seems like it could but i don't know too much about electronics. . .

Tom 08-22-2004 11:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by johnh
yeah i did too. every now and then you get a shouter on the other end and it's like a normal cell phone. can speaker volume be tweaked with firmware (not physical limitations on how loud the speaker can go but how much juice the speaker gets)? it seems like it could but i don't know too much about electronics. . .

Yea it seems like it could.. I dont have access to a blackberry running 4.0 that is active on a network, so I cant tell you if 4.0 has this feature..

Can anyone chime in here?

mo-bile 08-23-2004 01:39 AM

well I ended up getting a 7730 which I'll add to my plan. So I can use it as both, or swap sims with my T610 if I need a small form factor for going out.

AMCELL J 08-23-2004 09:35 PM

Well I think I am going to stick with having a BB data only plan and a voice plan separate. so when I am out I can just leave my work at home...hehe...

Plus when I am drunk I can get accidentally destructive specially with electronic equipment....ask my previous tmobile sidekick......god bless insurance!!

:roll: