BlackBerry Forums Support Community

BlackBerry Forums Support Community (http://www.blackberryforums.com/index.php)
-   Site Suggestions, News & Problems (http://www.blackberryforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=18)
-   -   BBM Social Groups.. Remove? (http://www.blackberryforums.com/showthread.php?t=263438)

Tom 02-02-2013 01:25 PM

BBM Social Groups.. Remove?

I am, as well as others growing a bit tired of the Social Groups section of the forum.

Should we keep it, or drop it?

ZombieBerry 02-02-2013 01:50 PM

Re: BBM Social Groups.. Remove?

Don't really see a need for that section to continue.

Just may have to deal with some of them posting their personal stuff in other sections.

NJBlackBerry 02-02-2013 02:07 PM

Remove it. We may not have a lot of posts, but that place is a cesspool.

Dubdub 02-02-2013 02:40 PM

Another resounding vote to remove it

zerog46 02-02-2013 07:50 PM

+10. Crap hole.

daphne 02-03-2013 01:50 AM

Definitely remove. Please. Too much inappropriate crap gets posted there.

daphne 02-03-2013 01:52 AM

I see 5 posts here including mine saying remove it, but only 2 votes in the poll at the top.

ZombieBerry 02-03-2013 04:44 AM

I see 7 - 2 against and 5 for...

dc/dc 02-03-2013 07:02 AM

I clicked the wrong one as I misread the question. Please remove the section.

Tom 02-03-2013 10:28 AM

My only concern is that a large chunk of new members register because of that section. Is it worthwhile to get rid of it?

Or should the forum be off the front page (it already can not be searched), and just let it exist so long as people are heading there because they searched for it (via Google)?

Tom 02-03-2013 10:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dc/dc (Post 1798547)
I clicked the wrong one as I misread the question. Please remove the section.

Honestly, without thinking about it I did the same thing! and I wrote the question!

So realistically.. there is only one person that wants that section to exist thus far.

dc/dc 02-03-2013 11:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tom (Post 1798557)
My only concern is that a large chunk of new members register because of that section. Is it worthwhile to get rid of it?

Or should the forum be off the front page (it already can not be searched), and just let it exist so long as people are heading there because they searched for it (via Google)?

The new members that join for that section provide no benefit to the forum, add spam, and cause the database to be bloated. There is no positive aspect to those sections.

Motorcycle Mama 02-03-2013 12:09 PM

Yep. I agree with exactly what dc/dc said.

New members that only go to that section (and it seems like there are a lot of them that do just that) do not add to the forum or the community (in my opinion).

NJBlackBerry 02-03-2013 12:11 PM

If anyone wants to keep it, please raise their hand.

These aren't new users. They are pond scum.

rambo47 02-03-2013 02:33 PM

I don't think a site like this, perhaps the most respected site for BlackBerry help and information on the web, needs a section like BBM Social Groups. We're better than that, and anybody wishing to wade into the toxic pond of social groups can find plenty of action elsewhere.

While I understand the idea of offering all things BlackBerry to the members, and the idea that most folks can just avoid it (sorry Mods, you're stuck patrolling the wasteland), I don't like the idea of the denizens of that section having ANY access to my profile. It makes me feel the need for multiple showers.

Dubdub 02-03-2013 02:36 PM

I have to agree with Rambo and the other posters above. The Social media members are here for that reason alone. few if any actually provide any help to others.

Make it go bye-bye please.

rambo47 02-03-2013 02:42 PM

More indications of the kind of folks that frequent the social groups area:

http://www.blackberryforums.com/blac...bbm-group.html

The complaint is that it attracts spammers. The Mods (and DC/DC) work so hard to keep the swarming hordes of spammers at bay. Providing a little safe haven for them to collect into would seem to be at cross-purposes with all that hard work fighting the swine.

daphne 02-03-2013 03:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dc/dc (Post 1798561)
The new members that join for that section provide no benefit to the forum, add spam, and cause the database to be bloated. There is no positive aspect to those sections.

I misread the question too.

daphne 02-03-2013 03:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tom (Post 1798557)

A lot of the people that post there are looking for sexual hookups, even a few apper to be pimping for females. Some of them user vulgar terms and vulgar user names. I've banned many like that. It may attract users, but is that really the type of user we want to attract?

juwaack68 02-04-2013 09:23 AM

That whole forum should be dipped in Holy water. And I'm not even sure that would clean it up. Remove it.