BlackBerry Forums Support Community

BlackBerry Forums Support Community (http://www.blackberryforums.com/index.php)
-   General 9500 Series Discussion - Storm (http://www.blackberryforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=122)
-   -   Speedier Storm By Disabling Event Log (http://www.blackberryforums.com/showthread.php?t=164799)

UndergroundWire 12-12-2008 09:21 AM

Speedier Storm By Disabling Event Log

I have disabled all event logs and noticed the Storm is much more responsive. The reason why I decided to do this is because I was thinking every time your Storm does something, it writes to the event log. So now by disabling it, it is doing one less less task in the background.

Anybody notice any difference? Also, any harm in disabling the event log?

sartwell 12-12-2008 09:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by UndergroundWire (Post 1206444)
I have disabled all event logs and noticed the Storm is much more responsive. The reason why I decided to do this is because I was thinking every time your Storm does something, it writes to the event log. So now by disabling it, it is doing one less less task in the background.

Anybody notice any difference? Also, any harm in disabling the event log?

How do you disable it ?

moorken 12-12-2008 09:52 AM

an event log is always just "for your info" so you won't have any problems disabling it, offcourse it might be more tricky to find out about a certain problem, but once again, if you notice a strange problem just turn on the eventlog again :)

UndergroundWire 12-12-2008 10:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sartwell (Post 1206455)
How do you disable it ?

With your Storm in landscape mode:

BlackBerry Menu --> Show Keyboard --> Press and hold !?123 to put phone on Num Lock --> Press the following keys " / " /

This will open Event Log

Now press the menu key and select options
Press Menu Key again and select Hide all types

Close Application.

Also since you have disabled it, you should also clear the log since there is no need for it anymore.

UndergroundWire 12-12-2008 10:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by moorken (Post 1206499)
an event log is always just "for your info" so you won't have any problems disabling it, offcourse it might be more tricky to find out about a certain problem, but once again, if you notice a strange problem just turn on the eventlog again :)

The way I figure, if I can't figure it out on my own, and Verizon can't fix it, I have insurance and will have my phone replaced.

But I also I want to know if anybody noticed a difference with it disabled?

Hanwei 12-12-2008 10:30 AM

Wow... I disabled event logging... cleared the log... did a battery pull to reset the storm...

And now... switching from landscape to portrait mode is almost instantaneous! Holy cow! Switching from portrait to landscape is a bit quicker too...

when viewing messages/menus, it seems like the scrolling is a big smoother/quicker as well.

All other functions seem just a bit faster too. Not too much faster... but faster :)

+1 for you! Thanks!

rweckhoff 12-12-2008 10:38 AM

Does this really disable event logging? I don't believe so - all it does is filter the displaying of the event log.

Hanwei 12-12-2008 10:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rweckhoff (Post 1206569)
Does this really disable event logging? I don't believe so - all it does is filter the displaying of the event log.

I had the same thought as I was doing it... as "hide" doesn't necessarily mean "disable".

However... whatever I did.... whether it was just hiding the log (hiding or disabling)... or clearing the log... it definitely made my Storm faster.

Tiamegs 12-12-2008 10:47 AM

It does not seem to make much difference for me. Hum... I went back to make sure I cleared and hid everything, and I did. I pulled the battery, and still the storm is about the same as before.

Hanwei 12-12-2008 10:52 AM

look on the bright side... at least it didn't get worse? hehe :)

jay427 12-12-2008 10:58 AM

so much faster...

Tiamegs 12-12-2008 10:59 AM

I will keep the setting as is, maybe I will notice more over time.

correia 12-12-2008 11:43 AM

I didn't notice much of a difference after disabling the log, but maybe it will get better.

svclee 12-12-2008 12:03 PM

It does seem a little faster for me.

M.J.H. 12-12-2008 12:34 PM

A little faster here, but nothing too crazy, for whatever reason.

mrman78 12-12-2008 11:11 PM

i just gave her a whirl, but i don't see any improvement. still sluggish sometimes. No additional apps are running. If we could only speed up the lag on the camera!

jsntrenkler 12-13-2008 12:01 AM

I didn't notice any difference in speed either.

Tiamegs 12-13-2008 12:44 AM

I went in and changed it back, and I noticed I was only hiding the log, not disabling it.

TroyDBrown 12-13-2008 12:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tiamegs (Post 1207561)
I went in and changed it back, and I noticed I was only hiding the log, not disabling it.

Correct! The battery pull is probably the reason anyone has seen an increase in speed.

PHLAK 12-13-2008 01:21 AM

No speed differences noticed here... maybe there is just a placebo effect going on here.