BlackBerry Forums Support Community

BlackBerry Forums Support Community (http://www.blackberryforums.com/index.php)
-   GPS & Mapping (http://www.blackberryforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=80)
-   -   Alltel disables internal GPS on 8703e (http://www.blackberryforums.com/showthread.php?t=83156)

sabrewulf 06-26-2007 09:01 PM

Alltel disables internal GPS on 8703e

Yep, got an email reply today telling me that it only works with TeleNav. :cry:
On BBMaps I am able to select the internal GPS but can't lock-on my position. Shame.

Stinsonddog 06-26-2007 10:42 PM

Why do people keep buying from VZ and Alltel for this.

sabrewulf 06-27-2007 07:00 AM

I was a customer of Alltel already. I know now for future reference not to go with these companies. Everything else works great though (service and signal coverage).

iksrfo 06-27-2007 02:57 PM

Wirelessly posted (Alltel 8703e: BlackBerry8703e/4.1.0 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/106)

I found that even Telenav didn't work properly with the internal gps of my Alltel 8703e. I just bought a BT-puck and all those issues have since been resolved. Unfortunate that it has to be that way (needing th BT-puck and all), but I gotta say having full functionality of gps is sweet even if it comes at extra cost.

Dawg 06-27-2007 03:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stinsonddog (Post 580502)
Why do people keep buying from VZ and Alltel for this.

most buy becuase of the superior network coverage. I went with Verizon becuase they werent sprint, I cant stand AT&T and Tmobile doesnt have coverage at my house.

Plus I dont care about GPS

sabrewulf 07-04-2007 03:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by iksrfo (Post 581263)
Wirelessly posted (Alltel 8703e: BlackBerry8703e/4.1.0 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/106)

I found that even Telenav didn't work properly with the internal gps of my Alltel 8703e. I just bought a BT-puck and all those issues have since been resolved. Unfortunate that it has to be that way (needing th BT-puck and all), but I gotta say having full functionality of gps is sweet even if it comes at extra cost.

I just forked over $10 to Telenav.. but I'm currently up in the mountains in PA and the signal is really weak around here (best signal is 1X over here). I am able to use the internet, but when I try to fix my location on GPS it times out. I'm assuming it's the lack of good signal around here (do you nee full 1XEV0 for GPS)?

It'll be a couple of more days before I can go back home and really test out the GPS on my 8703e using Telenav and the internal GPS.

Should I start looking for a puck or just wait till I get into a big city?

sabrewulf 07-06-2007 05:23 PM

Update: Once I got into civilization and left the mountains, I was able to acquire a signal on TeleNav. :)

I'm assuming with a puck, it doesn't matter if you got good network signal or not? *shrugs*