BlackBerry Forums Support Community

BlackBerry Forums Support Community (http://www.blackberryforums.com/index.php)
-   General 9000 Series Discussion - Bold (http://www.blackberryforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=106)
-   -   no WIFI when there is no recption? (http://www.blackberryforums.com/showthread.php?t=180605)

grynr 03-11-2009 09:55 AM

no WIFI when there is no recption?

I was travelling to a Ski resort without AT&T reception at all.
Although there was a Wi-Fi in the hotel, my 9000 did not communicate with it.
People next to me with an Iphone, had no problems communicating with the Wi-Fi router.
Is there a connection between the Mobile Phone Signal availability and the Wi-Fi?

Thanks

wingrider78 03-11-2009 12:04 PM

Wirelessly posted (8320 Titanium)

Not that I know of...that's the beauty of the wifi, you can have service where you have no towers...I would think you just had issues with the router and that was all...

grynr 03-11-2009 12:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wingrider78 (Post 1315933)
Wirelessly posted (8320 Titanium)

Not that I know of...that's the beauty of the wifi, you can have service where you have no towers...I would think you just had issues with the router and that was all...

there must be something. I held 2 devices none had any reception... one (Iphione) had WiFi the other(BBY)none.the screen showed the WiFi grayed out

mckinneycm 03-11-2009 12:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by grynr (Post 1315951)
there must be something. I held 2 devices none had any reception... one (Iphione) had WiFi the other(BBY)none.the screen showed the WiFi grayed out

Just because it's greyed out doesn't mean you don't have WiFi. The greyed out means that you don't have a data connection to the BB network through WiFi. If you don't have cell reception or you have data disabled, the WiFi will be greyed out. You should still be able to connect to a WiFi router and browse the Internet.

grynr 03-11-2009 12:42 PM

comment

Quote:

Originally Posted by mckinneycm (Post 1315969)
Just because it's greyed out doesn't mean you don't have WiFi. The greyed out means that you don't have a data connection to the BB network through WiFi. If you don't have cell reception or you have data disabled, the WiFi will be greyed out. You should still be able to connect to a WiFi router and browse the Internet.

I also thought so... but it did not work....
the same day I was in a hotel with GSM reception and WiFi... and all was fine... I was able to browse the internet via WiFi....
Theoretically the WiFi should work with or without GSM reception, the same way the Iphone workes... but practically it did not.

mckinneycm 03-11-2009 12:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by grynr (Post 1315999)
I also thought so... but it did not work....
the same day I was in a hotel with GSM reception and WiFi... and all was fine... I was able to browse the internet via WiFi....
Theoretically the WiFi should work with or without GSM reception, the same way the Iphone workes... but practically it did not.

It's working for me right now. I just turned of my network signal and I can browse just fine over WiFi.

grynr 03-11-2009 12:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mckinneycm (Post 1316007)
It's working for me right now. I just turned of my network signal and I can browse just fine over WiFi.

I just did the same. And I am writing this via WiFi. I am clueless

mckinneycm 03-11-2009 01:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by grynr (Post 1316019)
I just did the same. And I am writing this via WiFi. I am clueless

So, now it's working for you?

grynr 03-11-2009 01:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mckinneycm (Post 1316060)
So, now it's working for you?

now it works...but
is it possible that if the wireless service is on... and there is no signal it may prevent the WiFi from acquiring an IP address?
because as I said in the beginning, I was playing with an Iphone... and it acquired an IP address with no problems, while the BBY 9000 was seeing the WiFi network, but it did not connect... the icon was grayed out.
I will try this with a different SIM (Foreign) and see if the WiFi works....

grynr 03-11-2009 01:54 PM

I just inserted a foreign SIM into my 9000.
I am now roaming in NY in 3G.
I try to access my WiFi network (I have 2 of them)... I try to setup WiFi... and I get an error.."Unable to Connect..
Reason: Failed to obtain an IP address.

this is the same error I got when I was in NH at a Ski Resort.
So we are back to square one.

grynr 03-11-2009 02:01 PM

I therefore dare to conclude that once the network is lost or a foreign SIM with no data Plan is inserted, the Wi-Fi does not acquire an IP address.
You are not able to browse nor send BB messenger nor Emails.
I just tried all of them.

mckinneycm 03-11-2009 02:03 PM

You definitely won't be able to get BB messenger or emails, because that requires BB Data connectivity. You will be able to browse.

I don't know why yours isn't working, but my works fine when it has no signal.

grynr 03-11-2009 02:28 PM

issue with WiFi

Quote:

Originally Posted by mckinneycm (Post 1316141)
You definitely won't be able to get BB messenger or emails, because that requires BB Data connectivity. You will be able to browse.

I don't know why yours isn't working, but my works fine when it has no signal.

I just did another test.
I inserted another AT&T SIM that has no data plan, just a pay per use plan...
The Wi-Fi connected and obtained an IP address. The Icon is grayed out.
(In the Manage Connection screen the Wi-Fi box is showing the name of my network but no V on the right hand side)...and I cannot browse the Internet via Wi-Fi...only via the Mobile Network.
When I disable the mobile network... the browser stops.

ilanB 03-11-2009 02:43 PM

I have noticed the same thing. Before I got my BB activated SIM wifi would not connect. As if the phone require "confirmation" via the data plan to browse even in wifi.

which bring the question, how do I know if Im browsing via wifi or via my data plan (for example abroad to reduce roaming costs).

grynr 03-11-2009 02:47 PM

To my mind if you have a BB data plan and you have reception... and you disable the Mobile network, you'll be able to use the WiFi.
I tested this and it works....
But if you start without a reception.... somehow the WiFi won't work.

grynr 03-11-2009 02:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ilanB (Post 1316219)
I have noticed the same thing. Before I got my BB activated SIM wifi would not connect. As if the phone require "confirmation" via the data plan to browse even in wifi.

which bring the question, how do I know if Im browsing via wifi or via my data plan (for example abroad to reduce roaming costs).

I am planning to spend a month in Israel,(I have an Oranger SIM card, which I tested an hour ago), this is why I was trying to make the WiFi work while I use the Orange SIM just to make phone calls.

parenthetical guy 03-11-2009 10:57 PM

What is your default browser? I find I need to select the "Hotspot Browser" to browse with WiFi without being connected to my mobile network.

My BB is set up thru my work, and I always thought the "Blackberry Browser" (set up as default on my Bold) was needed to browse through my mobile network/company's BES or VPN (or however I'm connected to work).

But I can browse via WiFi only, but need to use the "Hotspot Browser".

Do I understand why this works? Nope. But it does for me.

grynr 03-12-2009 08:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by parenthetical guy (Post 1316806)
What is your default browser? I find I need to select the "Hotspot Browser" to browse with WiFi without being connected to my mobile network.

My BB is set up thru my work, and I always thought the "Blackberry Browser" (set up as default on my Bold) was needed to browse through my mobile network/company's BES or VPN (or however I'm connected to work).

But I can browse via WiFi only, but need to use the "Hotspot Browser".

Do I understand why this works? Nope. But it does for me.

I am trying your solution usinf a different SIM from AT&T without a Data Plan.... If failed to obtain an IP address.
This reinforces my contention that this is a Bug in the OS.

grynr 03-12-2009 08:08 AM

I tried this now with 2 different SIM cards.... the BBY WiFi won't obtain an IP address.
I put back my original AT&T SIM... and it logged into th eWiFi net in seconds.

darkdragoon 03-12-2009 06:08 PM

I've also noticed the issue. Guess its the difference between disabling Data Services and turning Mobile Network off.