BlackBerry Forums Support Community

BlackBerry Forums Support Community (http://www.blackberryforums.com/index.php)
-   BlackBerry Network (http://www.blackberryforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=22)
-   -   Delays in receiving emails on BIS (http://www.blackberryforums.com/showthread.php?t=60775)

garethprobert 01-09-2007 07:07 PM

Delays in receiving emails on BIS

Hi,

I've recently taken up a BlackBerry contract with T-Mobile UK and while I'm really pleased with the service and the Pearl, the delivery time for emails can be quite slow. I watched a demonstration last night of a BlackBerry in action and the user in the video received the email on his handheld almost instantaneously after sending it. Mine arrive ten minutes afer they've been sent.

I have two emails accounts, one personal and one work. The work one is fine and takes about a minute to push emails onto my BlackBerry. My personal account takes about ten minutes though, sometimes longer.

Does anyone have any ideas what the problem may be?

Berry One 01-09-2007 07:33 PM

If your personal email account is POP3 or IMAP, blackberry will poll it every 10-15 minutes. It is by design.

To have true push for personal emails you should use personal email account from Yahoo or Google. RIM has special arrangements with them to have their emails truly pushed to the blackberry.

garethprobert 01-09-2007 07:52 PM

Thanks Berry One - that seems to answer my question as my personal account is on a POP/IMAP server. My work email however is on an exchange server which i presume makes the pushing of emails quicker.

Anyway I'm glad I have that clear in my head. Thanks (y)

cebuchris 07-27-2007 01:03 AM

Hi All

I'm having the same problem, but on the reverse!

My personal email is fantastically fast (Gmail) and my work one is amazingly slow, sometimes waiting up to 30mins to receive email.

Anyone got any idea how i can possibly speed this up? I understand that its probably something to do with the server itself, but what do I do? How can i get it moving faster? Anything I can say to our hosting company...?

Please help out on this one, I'm tearing what little hair I have left, out!

Thanks in advance,
Chris

whsbuss 07-27-2007 08:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cebuchris (Post 614595)
Hi All

I'm having the same problem, but on the reverse!

My personal email is fantastically fast (Gmail) and my work one is amazingly slow, sometimes waiting up to 30mins to receive email.

Anyone got any idea how i can possibly speed this up? I understand that its probably something to do with the server itself, but what do I do? How can i get it moving faster? Anything I can say to our hosting company...?

Please help out on this one, I'm tearing what little hair I have left, out!

Thanks in advance,
Chris

Noticing the same here. Watching the mail server logs on one of my BIS configured accounts, the BIS is not polling for upwards of 45 minutes for POP/IMAP. If it doesn't improve I will get a ticket submitted. It just started a few days ago.

whsbuss 07-27-2007 01:17 PM

I spoke w/RIM today about IMAP support. They said they are working on getting the IMAP-IDLE command implemented so it will deliver in almost-realtime servers who support this in their IMAP server. They turned this on over the weekend but some issues remain.

However, there is some problems with allowing concurrent connections. Not sure why as my server allows for 100 connections to port 143 (IMAP). Still working on this w/RIM. Using Outlook for an IMAP account seems to work just fine.... new emails show up in 1-2 minutes.

Remember that BIS 2.3 does not allow for changing POP/IMAP configurations. When you setup an email account the BIS tries IMAP protocol before POP. If IMAP connects that is what it will use. AND the important thing is if IMAP-IDLE is not working you will have up to 60 minute delays (until IMAP-IDLE times out).

Its not pretty right now. I suggest forwarding critical email accounts to your BB address as well as the configured BIS.

whsbuss 07-28-2007 02:03 PM

Update

RIM has disabled the IMAP-IDLE feature for now. They need to work out querying the IMAP server to determine concurrent connections. Everything is back to 15 minute polls.

vliou 07-29-2007 03:36 AM

Any TimeFrame given when it will be turned back on?

I killed my BES so fast...now I am in hell. I have no idea how people live with a 15 minute delay...;-)

vliou 07-29-2007 04:47 AM

Ok,

As of 240am PST July 29th, 2007

Something happened. Either it's a 1-2 minute fetch or IMAP IDLE with a slow delivery time...

Something has definitely changed. :smile: :smile: :smile: :smile:

I have sent several test messages...and I am consistently receiving them faster.

How you guys managed to wait 15 minute between polls befuddles me. It was BES all the way...until now! :idea:

I will keep you guys apprised of any further changes.

I love my BB, and I need PUSH =)

vliou 07-29-2007 04:00 PM

It's back to 15 minute polling now. Damn

whsbuss 07-29-2007 04:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vliou (Post 616686)
It's back to 15 minute polling now. Damn

Remember that the normal BIS polling is ~15 minutes. If the BIS picks up new messages from the inbox, it will re-poll in ~3 minutes. This extended polling will continue until there is no new messages. Then it reverts backs to ~15 minutes.

vliou 07-29-2007 04:59 PM

Ah. Makes sense. I'm new to this poll thing...:razz:

whsbuss 07-29-2007 04:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vliou (Post 616373)
Any TimeFrame given when it will be turned back on?

I killed my BES so fast...now I am in hell. I have no idea how people live with a 15 minute delay...;-)

I'm calling RIM tomorrow on my open case. If I find out anything I'll let you know. I know they can force-set the IDLE feature by domain and if that's the case, I will request they do that for me.

vliou 07-29-2007 05:00 PM

Hey...

Sounds great. Pls do keep us informed...if you can do it for the "thinkpost.net" domain, even better!!!! ;-)

My Carrier refuses to let us talk to RIM...

vliou 07-29-2007 05:01 PM

I've even throw in a few free email accts for ya!

Berry One 07-29-2007 07:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vliou (Post 616732)
My Carrier refuses to let us talk to RIM...

RIM does have 'Contact us' section on their web page, don't they?

vliou 07-29-2007 07:09 PM

The only way any one can contact RIM is if you have a BMW.

Aka...lots of $$$$

Berry One 07-29-2007 07:30 PM

If that was the case we would have had IMAP IDLE now because RIM would never knew it does not work for some mail servers.:)

vliou 07-29-2007 07:31 PM

American carriers will do it for free if you can get pass their CSR's.

Canadian ones...well...Bell refused to pass me on to complain about them turning off IDLE.

Berry One 07-29-2007 07:34 PM

It is good, then, having whsbuss on Verizon willing to follow on that topic.(y)