BlackBerry Forums Support Community

BlackBerry Forums Support Community (http://www.blackberryforums.com/index.php)
-   iPhone Android & other HandHeld Forum (http://www.blackberryforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=78)
-   -   Tempted by TMobile Wing? (http://www.blackberryforums.com/showthread.php?t=77536)

lark 05-22-2007 09:17 AM

Tempted by TMobile Wing?

Anyone else tempted by the Wing? I am getting a little tired of waiting for TMo to give any information on the 8300, and am thinking of getting the Wing (WM 6) phone. Anyone else thinking the same thing?

dc/dc 05-22-2007 08:07 PM

I wasn't tempted to replace my 8800, but I was thinking about getting it for my personal line.

Alas, as much as I liked it, my short, fat thumbs just don't work with anything but BB-sized devices. :(

lark 05-23-2007 08:54 AM

dc,
Did you go to a store to try one? I have not actually played with it yet and would be interested to hear your thoughts on the keyboard. It looked pretty good in the pictures.

dc/dc 05-23-2007 09:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lark (Post 544215)
dc,
Did you go to a store to try one? I have not actually played with it yet and would be interested to hear your thoughts on the keyboard. It looked pretty good in the pictures.

Yes, I went on my lunch break yesterday.

The keyboard feels great, and if the keys had been closer together, I almost certainly would have bought it. My thumbs are simply too short. :(

dankarlinski 05-25-2007 08:45 AM

it looks realy good i like my pearl tho its so amall and stuff

but the wing really does look like an amazing fone =)

NJBlackBerry 05-25-2007 08:50 AM

It is the next version of the MDA. I had one for a few days. THe keyboard is better than the MDA, but I had no problem returning it to T-Mobile.

CarlosO 05-25-2007 05:37 PM

I think the phone looks nice but I am going to wait a little longer to see if blackberry puts out the 8300 w/a camera w/video rec. oh & wi/fi would be a sweet bonus

jbaiyor 05-31-2007 02:17 PM

No longer tempted by the Wing

I've had my Wing about 3 days. It's a great computer but disappointing as a phone. Too many Blackberry features missing. I've heard rumors of a Blackberry front end for it but can't get any facts. I expect to return it shortly for reasons noted below.

*LOST FEATURES:
* Auto on/off
* Calendar search
* Ability to configure {any} notification ("Phone: Incoming call" is my app) for vibrate, then increasing ring.
* Phone profiles
* Reminders - Can no longer edit the Reminder time for an individual occurrence of a Series. You can only edit it for the Series.
* Google maps
* Notification that Bluetooth headset has dropped

*ActiveSync:
1. doesn't seem to have a backup feature.
2. doesn't allow you to view details of conflicting items so that you can knowledgeably choose which to keep. You have to guess!

NOTES:
* Can't holster to use hands-free. This because the raised red End button is pressed when holstered. Can leave phone upside-down in holster to fall out.
* When removed it sometimes redials automatically AND activates music player.
* Volume control range inadequate
* End button is placed where my finger rests when using the stylus
* While sleeping, a press of the Power button flashes the screen for a moment, but doesn't wake it. A second, longer press is required.
* If put phone in sleep mode at night, alarm doesn't work!
* Inadequate memory to even configure the camera

Joe B(n)

flash24 05-31-2007 02:19 PM

My bro upgraded his pearl to a Wing and then end up returning it then next day.. he said it lags and freeze on him frequently.

pearl-8100 06-03-2007 01:09 AM

Is there really anything good and different about this phone than any other phone???

Aldazar 06-04-2007 12:40 AM

I tried the Wing, didn't like it at all! It's wayy slow, and after having a Blackberry, it's really annoying to me to have to flip the phone on its side everytime I want to type...

Anyway, my recommendation is strongly against!

Wattsie 06-06-2007 03:29 AM

Wing vs BB

I spent the day playing with the Wing and I can't say I'm yet convinced. I'm an 8700G user and love it. For one, it has keys on the front, and quick touch dialing. Voice dialing is just, well, not important. I enjoy a windows platform and I enjoy increased computability. but I'm not quite ready to switch.

To be honest, and perhaps blasphemous, I may end up bailing on BlackBerry altogether. The pearl brought the demise of the scroll wheel on the side for the awful ball in the middle. The 8800 brought a horrifc keypad layout. T8300 tried to correct the keyboard layout, but kept the middle ball.

Dont get me wrong the wing has some nice features, but the menu lag, portrait/landscape redraw time, and the touch screen just do not yet appeal to me, as well as the slow processor.

It'll be hard to find a device that will appeal to me more than my 8700g

gadgetfanatic 06-06-2007 12:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jbaiyor (Post 551737)
I've had my Wing about 3 days. It's a great computer but disappointing as a phone. Too many Blackberry features missing. I've heard rumors of a Blackberry front end for it but can't get any facts. I expect to return it shortly for reasons noted below.

*LOST FEATURES:
* Auto on/off
* Calendar search
* Ability to configure {any} notification ("Phone: Incoming call" is my app) for vibrate, then increasing ring.
* Phone profiles
* Reminders - Can no longer edit the Reminder time for an individual occurrence of a Series. You can only edit it for the Series.
* Google maps
* Notification that Bluetooth headset has dropped

*ActiveSync:
1. doesn't seem to have a backup feature.
2. doesn't allow you to view details of conflicting items so that you can knowledgeably choose which to keep. You have to guess!

NOTES:
* Can't holster to use hands-free. This because the raised red End button is pressed when holstered. Can leave phone upside-down in holster to fall out.
* When removed it sometimes redials automatically AND activates music player.
* Volume control range inadequate
* End button is placed where my finger rests when using the stylus
* While sleeping, a press of the Power button flashes the screen for a moment, but doesn't wake it. A second, longer press is required.
* If put phone in sleep mode at night, alarm doesn't work!
* Inadequate memory to even configure the camera

Joe B(n)

Research In Motion