BlackBerry Forums Support Community

BlackBerry Forums Support Community (http://www.blackberryforums.com/index.php)
-   GPS & Mapping (http://www.blackberryforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=80)
-   -   Blackberry Maps for other Countries (http://www.blackberryforums.com/showthread.php?t=58653)

plchan 12-20-2006 04:26 PM

Blackberry Maps for other Countries

In the mobile.blackberry.com, it mentions Blackberry Maps contain map data for US, Canada, ..... Hong Kong, Singapore... etc

I tried to put a street address from Hong Kong, and the map program returns error (Cannot find the city), etc.

I am using the older version of Blackberry Maps which I found out an link from one of the posts in this forum. However, when I tried to download the "official" version thru my 8700g, it said my device does not support Blackberry Maps at this time.

My 8700g runs on 4.1.x CSL (Hong Kong) OS with Tmobile.

any ideas why I can't download the BB maps program for my 8700g ?

Stinsonddog 12-20-2006 05:06 PM

Only Canada and the US are officialy supported. It looks at the OS I think before it allows the download.

plchan 12-20-2006 05:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stinsonddog
Only Canada and the US are officialy supported. It looks at the OS I think before it allows the download.

From their download page, it mentions

BlackBerry Maps is only available on devices running device software v4.1.

Currently, BlackBerry Maps contains map data for US, Canada, Austria, Belgium & Luxembourg, Czech Republic, Denmark, Finland, France (including Monaco), Germany, Greece, Hungary, Ireland, Italy (including Vatican City and San Marino), Liechtenstein, The Netherlands, Northern Ireland, Norway, Poland, Portugal, Slovakia, Spain (including Andora), Russia, Sweden, Switzerland, Turkey, Lithuania, Estonia, Latvia, Slovenia, Croatia, Albania, Bulgaria*, Moldova, Romania, Belarus, Bosnia Herzegovina (Former Yugoslav Republic of) Macedonia, Serbia, Montenegro, Ukraine, Hong Kong, Singapore, Malaysia, United Arab Emirates, Brazil* and Argentina* * Coverage is currently limited. Updates with broader coverage will be available in the future when available.

I thought by listing the above countries in the download page, it means they would support them with device software v4.1.

I am going to try to download the program and load it thru PC.

plchan 12-21-2006 06:40 PM

When I tried to search the City as "Hong Kong Island" with the country as "China", it shows me a map of Hong Kong. It works nicely.

Biggles 12-22-2006 06:32 AM

Quote:

Currently, BlackBerry Maps contains map data for US, Canada, Austria, Belgium & Luxembourg, Czech Republic, Denmark, Finland, France (including Monaco), Germany, Greece, Hungary, Ireland, Italy (including Vatican City and San Marino), Liechtenstein, The Netherlands, Northern Ireland, Norway, Poland, Portugal, Slovakia, Spain (including Andora), Russia, Sweden, Switzerland, Turkey, Lithuania, Estonia, Latvia, Slovenia, Croatia, Albania, Bulgaria*, Moldova, Romania, Belarus, Bosnia Herzegovina (Former Yugoslav Republic of) Macedonia, Serbia, Montenegro, Ukraine, Hong Kong, Singapore, Malaysia, United Arab Emirates, Brazil* and Argentina* *
That's a bit wacky. So, all of Europe, including Ireland and NI, but excluding the rest of the UK?

firstrebel 12-22-2006 09:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Biggles
That's a bit wacky. So, all of Europe, including Ireland and NI, but excluding the rest of the UK?

We don't exist.

Bob