BlackBerry Forums Support Community

BlackBerry Forums Support Community (http://www.blackberryforums.com/index.php)
-   General 8200 Series Discussion - Pearl Flip (http://www.blackberryforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=112)
-   -   Trying to get WIFI started (http://www.blackberryforums.com/showthread.php?t=219527)

thehuydog 02-12-2010 05:23 PM

Trying to get WIFI started

Hi, I am new ( but i've read the FAQ) and yet I can't seem to get this to work. I got a BB 8220 v 4.6.0.180 with t-mobile ( no data plan). I am trying to connect to my home router using WIFI. I went to manage connetion/turn on wifi/set up wifi...scan for wifi network..found it...put in correct wep key...but am unable to connect. Am I doing something wrong? Please help. Thanks.

Dubdub 02-12-2010 06:19 PM

I think you need the proper service books, which the data plan will give you.

Did you SEARCH?

unclefester 02-12-2010 06:21 PM

I remember having the same problem when I first got my 8320 Curve, and my dad having the same problem when he got his 8220. After a while of wrestling with our wireless network, we found that it was our router's permission settings. We had the wifi network set so that in order for a device to connect to the router, that device's MAC address had to be manually entered into the network via the administrator computer.

I would recommend looking at your wifi router settings and seeing if that is the case. If it is, you can find your Blackberry's MAC address by going to Settings>Status. It should say WLAN MAC and then a code. That is what you will enter into the router.

I hope this helps

thehuydog 02-13-2010 01:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dubdub (Post 1564392)
I think you need the proper service books, which the data plan will give you.

Did you SEARCH?

Here are the service books that are on my phone currently:
1. t-mob usa wap 2.0 transport
2. tmob usa wap 2.0 browser config
3.tmob 5 click
4. wifi tcp/ip transport and browser

am i missing something?

there are some others. i'll try that MAC address thing with my router.

thehuydog 02-13-2010 03:30 PM

so i got the wifi working at a coffee shop. I think the previous poster is correct that its something to do with my browser ( i also got it to work with my home router when I disable the WEP password encryption). So do you guys know where I need to go in my router settting ( netgear) to get this to work? Thanks.

IanBird 02-13-2010 03:53 PM

Hi thehuydog

Firstly do you have any other wireless device connected to the router? If not it could be Wireless MAC Filtering has been enabled on your router by mistake on the setup process. The MAC address is the Hardware address to a network type device and can be found under OPTIONS> Status WLAN MAC xx xx xx xx xx xx on your BB device.

Also check to see if you have an IP address under status too? or is still showing 0.0.0.0

This will need to be entered on your router in one of the options probably somewhere under wireless settings.

Thats how I have my router running at home just an extra layer of security so if someone does have my WEP key the still cannot get on.

Not she that is the answer but its worth a shot. But if you have disable the WEP encryption and its working then it what type of encryption you are using. If you can post up what settings you are using for WEP?
You may need to relax the security a bit on the router.

Ta
Ian

thehuydog 02-14-2010 11:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by IanBird (Post 1564694)
Hi thehuydog

Firstly do you have any other wireless device connected to the router? If not it could be Wireless MAC Filtering has been enabled on your router by mistake on the setup process. The MAC address is the Hardware address to a network type device and can be found under OPTIONS> Status WLAN MAC xx xx xx xx xx xx on your BB device.

Also check to see if you have an IP address under status too? or is still showing 0.0.0.0

This will need to be entered on your router in one of the options probably somewhere under wireless settings.

Thats how I have my router running at home just an extra layer of security so if someone does have my WEP key the still cannot get on.

Not she that is the answer but its worth a shot. But if you have disable the WEP encryption and its working then it what type of encryption you are using. If you can post up what settings you are using for WEP?
You may need to relax the security a bit on the router.

Ta
Ian

hey Ian, I think you are right that its something to do with my security. I got it to work when I drop all type of encryption ( as in my neighbor could probably get on and use my WIFI). under status, I have both WLAN MAC addy and an IP addy. I'll try again. Thanks for all the helpful replies.