BlackBerry Forums Support Community

BlackBerry Forums Support Community (http://www.blackberryforums.com/index.php)
-   Buy Sell Trade (http://www.blackberryforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   RIM BlackBerry 950 - with Unlimited Service For Life (http://www.blackberryforums.com/showthread.php?t=12)

Tom 08-15-2004 01:41 PM

RIM BlackBerry 950 - with Unlimited Service For Life

I have a Blackberry 950 which is in perfect shape. Its on the Rogers Network in Canada, has its own unused unique email address, and more importantly it has unlimited service for life.

The unit is a Rogers Promo Blackberry that was used in a Rogers Store, and the service was never deactivated, and has been active since '99 I believe.

BEST offer gets it

It will only work in Canada.. wont roam in the states.

Tom 08-22-2004 02:34 PM

For those emailing me offers, I wont let it go below $240 :?

JE$U$ 08-24-2004 03:23 PM

$240 Canadian?

Tom 08-24-2004 06:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JE$U$
$240 Canadian?

Ofcourse :)

ScOObydoo 08-27-2004 01:50 PM

I'd pay you $2500 for a 7230 with lifetime service ;)

Tom 08-27-2004 04:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ScOObydoo

Hmm.. I will see if I can get my hands on one :roll:

Naw, this was a one time thing :(

ScOObydoo 08-27-2004 05:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Guess
Quote:

Originally Posted by ScOObydoo

Hmm.. I will see if I can get my hands on one :roll:

Naw, this was a one time thing :(

It was a joke, sorry ;)

kirson 08-27-2004 05:18 PM

And since I like to take things litterally, I ran some numbers...I suspect that you might actually be able to find someone that will sell you a 7230 with life time data access for $2,500. Think about it. A second hand device is worth around $250. A data plan retails for about $30 per month ($360 per year). You are talking about <pulls out calculator...clicks furiously> 6.25 years of service AT RETAIL before you hit this number. At that point, most likely the 7230 will no longer work. And even if it DID still work, think about the fact that a VAR or some other corporate geek should be able to get a long term committment for less than retail. So, this could actually generate a profit with a 10 year life. And I have to assume that even if the service is available in 10 years, the device will be dead.

Oh...sorry...I missed that "joke" part :D

Tom 08-27-2004 05:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kirson
And since I like to take things litterally, I ran some numbers...I suspect that you might actually be able to find someone that will sell you a 7230 with life time data access for $2,500. Think about it. A second hand device is worth around $250. A data plan retails for about $30 per month ($360 per year). You are talking about <pulls out calculator...clicks furiously> 6.25 years of service AT RETAIL before you hit this number. At that point, most likely the 7230 will no longer work. And even if it DID still work, think about the fact that a VAR or some other corporate geek should be able to get a long term committment for less than retail. So, this could actually generate a profit with a 10 year life. And I have to assume that even if the service is available in 10 years, the device will be dead.

Oh...sorry...I missed that "joke" part :D

haha, good call!

Gothalyptic 08-27-2004 05:44 PM

haha Kirson. KIRSON FOR PRESIDENT! That dude's been making me laugh all day ;).

Mark Rejhon 08-30-2004 02:27 PM

I'm mighty tempted on this 950, as it would be a good occasional walkie talkie that I can lend out during events where either of us might get lost.

The question is how much longer the Mobitex network will remain alive!

finch 08-30-2004 03:38 PM

With the release of the BB 5790 and networks such as Arch, PageNet and Metrocall which handle 2way and paging only I think its here for a while. Plus with infrastucture in place its just up keep.

Still a valid point as Rogers has done away with the RIM 950 and by the looks of the RIM 957 will follow suit shortly as it would seem their going completely GSM/GPRS.

kirson 08-30-2004 04:02 PM

One thing to keep in mind is how Mobitex came into being (in a manner of speaking). A big part of the customer base is large corporations that have special applications/devices put in place that utilize the network infrustructure. For example, I believe all those UPS handhelds the truck drivers carry around are special purpose Mobitex devices. Regardless, there is a huge installed customer base that needs to be supported, and will most likely keep the network alive for quite some time.

cyberhh 09-09-2004 09:50 AM

I would have been happy to pay for it if it worked in Cali for me, bummer.

Tom 09-11-2004 02:30 PM

SOLD. Thanks guys!

bfrye 09-14-2004 11:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mark Rejhon
I'm mighty tempted on this 950, as it would be a good occasional walkie talkie that I can lend out during events where either of us might get lost.

Were it in the states you wouldn't have to worry about mobitex going away...

Tom 09-14-2004 04:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bfrye
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mark Rejhon

Were it in the states you wouldn't have to worry about mobitex going away...

The Canadian mobitex network is the original mobitex network and was 1st created. It will remain alive much longer.

bfrye 09-14-2004 07:02 PM

Here in DC, I'd bet 9/10 people you see in a suit are carrying one of the older mobitex BB. It's pretty much standard issue to anyone involved in govt or politics here in DC.

Tom 09-14-2004 08:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bfrye
Here in DC, I'd bet 9/10 people you see in a suit are carrying one of the older mobitex BB. It's pretty much standard issue to anyone involved in govt or politics here in DC.

haha Nice!