BlackBerry Forums Support Community

BlackBerry Forums Support Community (http://www.blackberryforums.com/index.php)
-   General PlayBook Discussion (http://www.blackberryforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=149)
-   -   Android Apps Won't Run (http://www.blackberryforums.com/showthread.php?t=265650)

SGoodman 12-12-2013 06:35 AM

Android Apps Won't Run

Greetings,

The following apps show a blank black screen when started:

They were all installed from BlackBerry World, but I think they're Android Apps. Does anyone know what could cause all Android apps to simply show a blank screen?

Thanks,
Shane.

pkcable 12-12-2013 10:14 PM

Re: Android Apps Won't Run

The CB forum is a native app! Unless you sideloaded the different. Android app that we have.

Well it appears I can not post the App World URL yet. ;). Anyways search CB 10 and you will find our app which I believe was written in cascades. In any event it is a native BFB app.

SGoodman 12-13-2013 04:51 AM

Sorry. CB Forums is showing a blank screen exactly like the other apps, so I thought it was an Android app. Also, it doesn't appear in Settings > Security > Application Permissions, just like the Android apps.

I don't know what 'sideloading' is, but I installed CB Forums from BlackBerry World.

Also, there's someone who thinks that it's actually malware.

Thanks,
Shane.

NJBlackBerry 12-13-2013 06:13 AM

I think the owner of that forum is making a joke. CB forums may be many terrible things (including intolerant) but their app is not malware.

ZombieBerry 12-13-2013 07:46 AM

Yeah, I don't see Joe actually believing that the CB app is malware...lol

pkcable 12-13-2013 02:37 PM

OH the PlayBook app, I'm sorry I misread the thread! My apologies. I will take a look from my play book tonight and if their is an issue I will get it reported to our tech people. (I am one of the mods over there)

NJBlackBerry 12-13-2013 04:47 PM

You Are?

pkcable 12-13-2013 10:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NJBlackBerry (Post 1810077)
You Are?

Which will only ever be mentioned in the content where it can be helpful. ;).

Anyways I checked and the app itself works fine on my device. I agree it does appear to be an android port, as it uses back swipes. However I will ask around to make sure.

Have you thought about doing an OS reload?

SGoodman 12-14-2013 01:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pkcable (Post 1810081)
Anyways I checked and the app itself works fine on my device. I agree it does appear to be an android port, as it uses back swipes. However I will ask around to make sure.

Have you thought about doing an OS reload?

What are "back swipes"?

I just did another restore from BlackBerry Desktop, but I still have the same problem. How to I do an OS reload?

Thanks,
Shane.

pkcable 12-14-2013 08:34 AM

Yes the Crackberry PB app is an android port. Back swipes are where you swipe from right to left on the bottom bezel to emulate pressing the android back arrow.

You reload the OS through Desktop Manager, there is probably a there here that explains, let me see if I can did one up. If not can I post one from the BB site or CB, NJ? I guess the BB site should be fine.

Edit: http://supportforums.blackberry.com/...Y/td-p/1822649

rambo47 12-14-2013 03:56 PM

I've had apps fail to show up in the Security settings after installation, but a restart sorted it out. Seems like the restart forced the completion of the install process.

SGoodman 12-14-2013 10:34 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I reloaded the OS from BlackBerry Desktop, and it seems to be working now. This feature isn't documented in the BlackBerry Desktop User Guide, which is strange.

I'm glad that my PlayBook is working again, but I still don't know what caused the Andoid apps to stop working. I'm going to install each app individually, instead of doing another restore from BlackBerry Desktop, in case Desktop was the culprit.

There is a line that appears at the bottom of most Android apps which includes a back button (click thumbnail). I'm guessing this is what you meant by "back swipes"?

Thanks all,
Shane.

pkcable 12-16-2013 10:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SGoodman (Post 1810098)
I reloaded the OS from BlackBerry Desktop, and it seems to be working now. This feature isn't documented in the BlackBerry Desktop User Guide, which is strange.

I'm glad that my PlayBook is working again, but I still don't know what caused the Andoid apps to stop working. I'm going to install each app individually, instead of doing another restore from BlackBerry Desktop, in case Desktop was the culprit.

There is a line that appears at the bottom of most Android apps which includes a back button (click thumbnail). I'm guessing this is what you meant by "back swipes"?

Thanks all,
Shane.

Yes some apps have that back arrow, but not all, also try swiping along the bottom bezel on your PB while in an Android app, from right to left, this will make your Android app go back 1 screen. This is called a back swipe.

SGoodman 12-17-2013 02:14 AM

Some apps were missing from BlackBerry World, so I decided to do a Restore from BlackBerry Desktop. Afterwards, though, Android apps weren't working again. At least I know now what has been causing Android apps to stop working. I had to do a Repair from BlackBerry Desktop, and I'm back to reinstalling the apps individually.

Shane.