BlackBerry Forums Support Community

BlackBerry Forums Support Community (http://www.blackberryforums.com/index.php)
-   Developer Forum (http://www.blackberryforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=15)
-   -   Easier, faster blackberry web browsing with 411 (http://www.blackberryforums.com/showthread.php?t=13669)

philbogle 08-14-2005 03:18 AM

Easier, faster blackberry web browsing with 411

Here's a new Berry feature I thought you might be interested in:

I have updated Berry 411 and Berry Bloglines to take advantage of a service called Skweezer (http:/www.skweezer.com), which compresses and reformats web pages to work better on mobile devices. (You typically save 25%-75% on the download size of the page.)

If you search for a URL in Berry 411, it will take you automatically to the skweezed version. Links to external pages in Berry Bloglines and yellow page results are also skweezed automatically.

You can read more here:

http://www.thebogles.com/blog/2005/0...web-pages.html

Smhblackberry 08-14-2005 09:28 PM

I am unable to get yubnub commands to work. Takes me to the skweezed google page.

pinstripe 08-15-2005 02:32 PM

Hi, I love your Berry freeware -- far more useful than some of the apps that came on my device. However, I cannot get complete functionality from either Berry 411 (yellow pages doesn't work) or Berry Bloglines (used to work, now reads "bad password" even though the password is good). I know you're not in the business of providing free support, but I have seen other people post on forums with the exact same problems. Can you please advise?

Many thanks!

philbogle 08-15-2005 04:23 PM

Yubnub issue fixed

Quote:

Originally Posted by Smhblackberry
I am unable to get yubnub commands to work. Takes me to the skweezed google page.

Please try again, this is fixed now.

philbogle 08-15-2005 04:24 PM

Yellow pages issue

Quote:

Originally Posted by pinstripe
Hi, I love your Berry freeware -- far more useful than some of the apps that came on my device. However, I cannot get complete functionality from either Berry 411 (yellow pages doesn't work) or Berry Bloglines (used to work, now reads "bad password" even though the password is good). I know you're not in the business of providing free support, but I have seen other people post on forums with the exact same problems. Can you please advise?

Many thanks!

Could you try doing a yellow pages search from exactly the same address in Google Local and see if works correctly. I've seen problems when people have addresses that aren't known to Google Local, the underlying data provider.

loren 08-15-2005 04:59 PM

I had a problem getting it to work for me as well.

Turns out the address format is pretty picky.

FYI, the correct format to put in an address at a numbered street, such as 333 E. 46th St is as follows.

333 E 46th St, New York, NY

Also, I couldn't find the referred to "address book" to use an address in my contacts.

Thanks,
Loren

philbogle 08-15-2005 05:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by loren
I am new to this, but can't seem to get Berry 411 working right.

I have it installed, but no matter what format I put in for my address, it doesn't know where I am.

I put in the 1 Essex St example (from the Punching Blackberry blog) and was able to find Ruth Chris, but when I put in my own addresses, work or home, I get nothing.

What is the correct format to put in an address at a numbered street, such as 333 E. 46th St?
(Not my address, I made it up for this question)

Also, I couldn't find the referred to "address book" to use an address in my contacts.

This is version 2.5q on a 7520

Thanks,
Loren

Quote:

Originally Posted by loren
I am new to this, but can't seem to get Berry 411 working right.

I have it installed, but no matter what format I put in for my address, it doesn't know where I am.

I put in the 1 Essex St example (from the Punching Blackberry blog) and was able to find Ruth Chris, but when I put in my own addresses, work or home, I get nothing.

What is the correct format to put in an address at a numbered street, such as 333 E. 46th St?
(Not my address, I made it up for this question)

This is version 2.5q on a 7520

Thanks,
Loren

You should try a format like
XXX west 40, New York, NY

where xxx is the street address.

loren 08-15-2005 05:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by philbogle
You should try a format like
XXX west 40, New York, NY

where xxx is the street address.

TY. I figured it out and edited my message, but you were way to fast to respond. :-)

Smhblackberry 08-15-2005 05:22 PM

still getting an error. saying request was malformed or not friendly to small screens. 303 - error. some of the commands I tried I know were formatted for small screens (try searching stch -id rimm on yubnub) I can't get any yubnub searches to work.

philbogle 08-15-2005 05:43 PM

Yubnub is down

Quote:

still getting an error. saying request was malformed or not friendly to small screens. 303 - error. some of the commands I tried I know were formatted for small screens (try searching stch -id rimm on yubnub) I can't get any yubnub searches to work.

The problem is that yubnub itself is down. Try going to http://www.yubnub.org on your PC and you'll see that it doesn't go through.

Smhblackberry 08-15-2005 06:02 PM

sorry, didn't even think about that.
I noticed last night you had some searches listed (acronyms, define, calc, etc) then a few minutes later they were gone, didn't work?

philbogle 08-15-2005 06:03 PM

Searches

Quote:

sorry, didn't even think about that.
I noticed last night you had some searches listed (acronyms, define, calc, etc) then a few minutes later they were gone, didn't work?

I discovered that the URL I had been pointed to was part of a trial account on a paid service. Not suitable for mass consumption!

WNO 08-15-2005 09:28 PM

Phil, I discovered Skweezer over the weekend via Berry Bloglines, and love it (though service was kind of sketchy at times)! One question/suggestion: If Skweezer is also being used for Berry 411, might it be possible to have the google search linked to the "regular" Google rather than Google Mobile? The reason I ask is that certain Google features, like "movie:theaters" and "movie:movies" do not seem to work in Mobile, but show up nicely in a skweezed version of the standard search. Of course, there may be advantages to Mobile that I don't see, and Skweezer does seem to be overloaded at times, so I'm a very content customer either way.

pinstripe 08-16-2005 02:29 PM

Phil, thanks for your response above re: problems with 411. I was able to fix the 411 difficulty by adding "street" to the address -- thanks.

Am still having Bloglines trouble -- I am using Bloglines now on my laptop but Berry Bloglines is stuck on "bad password." (Interestingly, the first screen I reach after clicking the icon reads "bad password," even though I haven't tried to log in yet.) I have tried uninstalling/reinstalling. Any advice appreciated.

philbogle 08-18-2005 10:14 AM

Regular Google skweezed

Quote:

Originally Posted by WNO
Phil, I discovered Skweezer over the weekend via Berry Bloglines, and love it (though service was kind of sketchy at times)! One question/suggestion: If Skweezer is also being used for Berry 411, might it be possible to have the google search linked to the "regular" Google rather than Google Mobile? The reason I ask is that certain Google features, like "movie:theaters" and "movie:movies" do not seem to work in Mobile, but show up nicely in a skweezed version of the standard search. Of course, there may be advantages to Mobile that I don't see, and Skweezer does seem to be overloaded at times, so I'm a very content customer either way.

I added a plugin for full Google under skweezer. Just search for "g: foo", to find foo.

corey@12mile 08-18-2005 03:56 PM

How about not restricting the white pages search to the cities listed in your 3 address's? I live in a town of about 4000 people, but when I want to do a search somewhere outside of my town, I have to edit one of the other address's to have the city I want to search, which usually means 10 or so address changes to search southern ontario.

cd.

WNO 08-22-2005 03:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by philbogle
I added a plugin for full Google under skweezer. Just search for "g: foo", to find foo.

Thanks! Haven't yet had the chance to experiment with it much, but I appreciate your hard work.

On a vaguely related subject, Skweezer seems to have disappeared from Berry Bloglines. Is there a reason for this? (Oops, it's back again, or maybe I imagined the whole thing. I do miss the search box, though.)