BlackBerry Forums Support Community

BlackBerry Forums Support Community (http://www.blackberryforums.com/index.php)
-   General 8900 Series Discussion - Javelin (http://www.blackberryforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=121)
-   -   Upgraded OS, Now Can't Delete Messages (http://www.blackberryforums.com/showthread.php?t=184007)

slsullivan 04-01-2009 09:44 AM

Upgraded OS, Now Can't Delete Messages

I upgraded my T-Mobile Curve 8900 to OS 4.6.1.168 last night. Everything is working great, and the issues I was having with Slacker seem to be gone. However, when I go to delete a SMS text message, it won't delete. The BlackBerry lets me select delete from the menu, and when I confirm I want to delete the message, it returns me back to the list of messages, but what I tried to delete is still there. I've tried this with multiple messages and it won't let me delete any SMS text messages. However, when I go into my e-mail, I can delete e-mail messages from any of the three accounts I have linked to the BlackBerry just fine. Other than this one issue, everything else seems to be fine? Any ideas? I've pulled the battery and SIM card twice now with no change.

jsconyers 04-01-2009 09:55 AM

Welcome to the forums.

If you highlight a date and press the menu key, then select delete prior, does that delete the messages for you?

slsullivan 04-01-2009 10:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jsconyers (Post 1339294)
Welcome to the forums.

If you highlight a date and press the menu key, then select delete prior, does that delete the messages for you?

Tried that too, and it won't work.

And thanks for the welcome! Long time lurker here, but finally registered this morning after this problem came up.

jsconyers 04-01-2009 10:57 AM

You can delete the entire database. It sounds like it may be corrupt.

Connect your device to you PC, launch DM, go into Backup/Restore and select advanced. On the right side you should see the device databases. Highlight SMS Messages and click the clear button. That will clear your SMS database.

After you've done that, send yourself a test SMS message and see if you can delete it.

slsullivan 04-01-2009 11:07 AM

Thanks — will try that.

slsullivan 04-01-2009 12:07 PM

Well, can't clear the SMS database. It's grayed out and won't let me clear it. I can back it up, but that's it.

jsconyers 04-01-2009 12:10 PM

Very odd that it's grayed out.

jsconyers 04-01-2009 12:19 PM

Do you have SMS and email separated?

Try a battery pull and check the database again.

TheBigNewt 04-01-2009 12:23 PM

Sounds like you ought to wipe and reload if that doesn't work. It shouldn't do that and the module shouldn't be grayed out either.

slsullivan 04-01-2009 01:33 PM

Just discovered at lunch that I can't send SMS messages either. I've been receiving them just fine but went to reply to one and found my option to send SMS messages is gone. Guess I'm going to have to wipe and reinstall. UGH!

slsullivan 04-01-2009 04:26 PM

After a wipe and reactivation, and reloading some of the backed up data (the rest I can do without), I'm back in business. What a pain. I've done a few BlackBerry OS upgrades before but this is the first that I've had get botched up like this. Fortunately now everything appears to be working again.

jsconyers 04-01-2009 05:03 PM

Glad you got it back up and running!