BlackBerry Forums Support Community

BlackBerry Forums Support Community (http://www.blackberryforums.com/index.php)
-   General 9600 Series Discussion - Tour (http://www.blackberryforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=133)
-   -   Was Slacker pushed to my phone? (http://www.blackberryforums.com/showthread.php?t=198868)

akosnitzky 07-27-2009 06:45 PM

Wirelessly posted (Its All About the U!)

For some reason, the icon for Slacker is showing on my phone. I did NOT download it.

digitalslacker 07-27-2009 06:46 PM

yup, they pushed it out to Storm and Tours today. Maybe other phones, not sure.

akosnitzky 07-27-2009 06:49 PM

Wirelessly posted (Its All About the U!)

Thank you

kurichan 07-27-2009 08:02 PM

Next question - is there any way to PERMANENTLY remove crapware that VZW pushes? (I love Slacker, but I don't want icons pushed on to my phone!)

penguin3107 07-27-2009 08:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kurichan (Post 1438817)
Next question - is there any way to PERMANENTLY remove crapware that VZW pushes

Not really.

daphne 07-27-2009 09:24 PM

Best thing is to hide the icon and forget about it. If you remove it, it will be pushed again at some point.

kurichan 07-27-2009 10:22 PM

I find this fundamentally repulsive. I feel violated. I wish Verizon would stop doing this. If they want to advertise other people's services on my device, they should pay me to host the ads. (no, I'm not kidding)

penguin3107 07-27-2009 10:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kurichan (Post 1438905)
I find this fundamentally repulsive. I feel violated. I wish Verizon would stop doing this. If they want to advertise other people's services on my device, they should pay me to host the ads. (no, I'm not kidding)

You agreed to let them do this when you accepted the agreement for your BlackBerry Data Plan/Wireless Contract.
(No one ever reads those things.)

All carriers do this, not just Verizon.
Just let it go. No need to get all worked up over it.
You're making a bigger deal out of this than you should.

hard10 07-27-2009 11:45 PM

I just checked and there were no new s/w downloads... Ok as we speak, it just came through.
AJ

jsntrenkler 07-28-2009 03:23 AM

Wirelessly posted

Hasn't been pushed to mine yet. I created a red folder on my tour titled CRAP .. That's where all the icons I don't use go

ace2001 07-28-2009 05:41 AM

How did you modify the setting on your folder?

kurichan 07-28-2009 12:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by penguin3107 (Post 1438912)
You agreed to let them do this when you accepted the agreement for your BlackBerry Data Plan/Wireless Contract.
(No one ever reads those things.)

All carriers do this, not just Verizon.
Just let it go. No need to get all worked up over it.
You're making a bigger deal out of this than you should.

No I'm not. You don't know anything about me, so that's awfully judgmental. I made a statement, and I'm sticking by it as a matter of policy. I don't want their trash pushed to my phone. If they continue, I will be forced to reconsider my relationship with them.

penguin3107 07-28-2009 01:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kurichan (Post 1439372)
No I'm not. You don't know anything about me, so that's awfully judgmental. I made a statement, and I'm sticking by it as a matter of policy. I don't want their trash pushed to my phone. If they continue, I will be forced to reconsider my relationship with them.

Don't be so naive and defensive.
I'm not attacking you.

You have mobile phone service with Verizon as well as BlackBerry service through Verizon.
As such, you agreed to their terms when you began your service.
Part of that agreement is allowing them to push things to your handheld at their will.

Go ahead and reconsider. I couldn't care less which carrier you use.
Know this... if you want a BlackBerry on a carrier within the United States... you'll have unwanted things pushed to your handheld. All carriers do it.

Save yourself the stress of worrying about it. Hide the shortcuts (that's all they are) and move on.

michael12005 07-28-2009 01:15 PM

Now Now girls, calm down. How about a beer with the President?

zoukis05 07-28-2009 01:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by penguin3107 (Post 1439376)
Save yourself the stress of worrying about it. Hide the shortcuts (that's all they are) and move on.

Yeah, I don't get the commotion about this. It's just a link to download actual software.

jsconyers 07-28-2009 01:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kurichan (Post 1439372)
I don't want their trash pushed to my phone. If they continue, I will be forced to reconsider my relationship with them.

Quote:

Know this... if you want a BlackBerry on a carrier within the United States... you'll have unwanted things pushed to your handheld. All carriers do it.

Penguin is 100% correct here. The top 4 carriers (AT&T, T-Mobile, Verizon, & Sprint) all do this, possibly other carriers as well. They push out service books of applications for you to install on your device.

It is a pain, but as stated above, I created a junk folder, move all the icons into the junk folder and then just hide the folder.

kurichan 07-28-2009 01:27 PM

Quote:

Don't be so naive and defensive.
I'm not attacking you.

You have mobile phone service with Verizon as well as BlackBerry service through Verizon.
As such, you agreed to their terms when you began your service.
Part of that agreement is allowing them to push things to your handheld at their will.

Go ahead and reconsider. I couldn't care less which carrier you use.

Stop the ad hominem attacks and all will be fine.

Your judgmental tone is rude and presumptuous.

I am not naive and I'm free to my opinion, as you are yours. Just don't attack my opinion.

Why are you getting so worked up about my opinion? You seem to be the one freaking out, because I'm not bending to your opinion.

kurichan 07-28-2009 01:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by michael12005 (Post 1439389)
Now Now girls, calm down. How about a beer with the President?

LOL! :smile:

kurichan 07-28-2009 01:30 PM

Simple point, no emotion: we put up with this, and they'll keep doing it. We tell them we don't like it, and they may reconsider.

I don't want this stuff on my device. I'm going to stand up for that, and I'm going to tell Verizon I don't like it.

I'll bet they don't push this stuff to their large aggregated business accounts...

Get the idea?

hdawg 07-28-2009 02:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kurichan (Post 1439406)
I'll bet they don't push this stuff to their large aggregated business accounts...

I'll bet you're wrong.