BlackBerry Forums Support Community

BlackBerry Forums Support Community (http://www.blackberryforums.com/index.php)
-   General 8300 Series Discussion - Curve (http://www.blackberryforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=93)
-   -   Can you use Camera Flash for a Flashlight? (http://www.blackberryforums.com/showthread.php?t=105081)

ivanfrost 11-15-2007 06:23 PM

Can you use Camera Flash for a Flashlight?

Is there any programs available that let you use your flash on your curve for a flash light... i know many phones have a flash and let you do it... has anyone figured it out?

ezrunner 11-15-2007 06:42 PM

Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry8700/4.2.1 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/100)

I don't know of any. Check the after market programs section

luc-mobile 11-15-2007 06:55 PM

I've never seen any either. Rumors say that RIM is about to release a new 4.3 OS for all Curve users that will allow video recording - with the flash turned on if you want. Then you'll probably be able to "fake" a video recording just to leave the LED on.

I, for one, fear for the LED's durability.

Mark Rejhon 11-15-2007 09:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by luc-mobile (Post 741592)
I, for one, fear for the LED's durability.

RIM put a video recording length limit, so that shouldn't be a problem. If they use a good LED chip from Lumileds and CREE, those are quite durable -- it's the heat generated from a LED chip designed as a flash and not heatsinked enough, so the device should at least be engineered to have the LED on continuously, and deal with the heat that arises from it. (There's not much heat, but heat is LED's enemy). If they used a cheap chip and overdrove it, then durability can be a problem. Especially if the flash was never designed to be on continuously, and thus not heatsinked enough.

I've seen way brighter LED's though (ever seen a 5 watt LED? They're being used now in arrays in car headlights of certain really-new vehicles. Also, some traffic lights are starting to use arrays of 5 watt chips now, though most are using the 1 watt LED chips in arrays.)

crazieinca 11-15-2007 09:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mark Rejhon (Post 741732)
RIM put a video recording length limit, so that shouldn't be a problem. If they use a good LED chip from Lumileds and CREE, those are quite durable -- it's the heat generated from a LED chip designed as a flash and not heatsinked enough, so the device should at least be engineered to have the LED on continuously, and deal with the heat that arises from it. (There's not much heat, but heat is LED's enemy). If they used a cheap chip and overdrove it, then durability can be a problem. Especially if the flash was never designed to be on continuously, and thus not heatsinked enough.

I've seen way brighter LED's though (ever seen a 5 watt LED? They're being used now in arrays in car headlights of certain really-new vehicles. Also, some traffic lights are starting to use arrays of 5 watt chips now, though most are using the 1 watt LED chips in arrays.)

would you happen to know the limit by any chance??

Codis 12-10-2008 04:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by crazieinca (Post 741751)
would you happen to know the limit by any chance??

I've timed it at 15 minutes on my 8310 running 4.5.0.81.

xyrcncp 12-10-2008 04:15 PM

I simply turn on the video camera and let it do its thing. No need for a program...

sbrown712 12-10-2008 04:18 PM

Looks like someone beat me by three minutes....

Don't know if you were happy with the other answers or not but you can turn on the video camera and then hit the space bar to turn on the flash. Nice bright light but not much range.

ghpk 12-10-2008 06:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sbrown712 (Post 1204128)
Looks like someone beat me by three minutes....

Don't know if you were happy with the other answers or not but you can turn on the video camera and then hit the space bar to turn on the flash. Nice bright light but not much range.

Thanks i didn't knew space bar helps toggling the FLASH MODES.