BlackBerry Forums Support Community

BlackBerry Forums Support Community (http://www.blackberryforums.com/index.php)
-   General 8100 Series Discussion - Pearl (http://www.blackberryforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=71)
-   -   Voice Dialing: Love it or Hate it? (http://www.blackberryforums.com/showthread.php?t=134203)

pastor_rob 06-09-2008 03:10 PM

Voice Dialing: Love it or Hate it?

Hello friends:

I have heard so many conflicting reports about VAD (Voice Activated Dialing) on the BB. I was wondering if we could get some honest opinions on the feature and it's reliability.

Please don't post "never used it so I deleted it" that is not an opinion on the feature or it's reliability. In order to be true to me post you have to have had used it and tried and are sharing your experience with the feature.

I have used it on several different BBs and the feature has always worked fine for me. It is accurate 85% of the time and the other times it is usually due to me mumbling or not speaking clearly or directly enough, not the fault of the feature.

So do you love it ... do you hate it ... and why???

Thanks

P.S. I put it here because I have the 8130 and used to have a 8100 and it is with the pearl that I have my experience ... if this is in the wrong section please forgive me and mods just move it and it will not hurt my feelings!!! ;-)

akosnitzky 06-09-2008 03:31 PM

Wirelessly posted (Verizon 8830)

I tried to use it. Found it highly inaccurate, so I removed it.

It was not an issue of not using it.

JSanders 06-09-2008 03:33 PM

I used it, not accurate enough for the time spent getting it right. I deleted the application.

hilker09 06-09-2008 03:37 PM

Wirelessly posted

I have found it to be very accurate. I think it works great! I prev iously had a Palm Centro, which didn't come with this package, and when I tried a program for it, found that it crashed my system a lot.

Kamau 06-09-2008 03:44 PM

Wirelessly posted

I use it infrequently, but when I do, it has worked 95% of the time accurately. I have found it especially useful when I don't want to remove my cell from my belt (those lazy days).

Azurelimits 06-09-2008 03:45 PM

I have used it on many occasions but it isn't always very accurate. It is better than most voice dialing programs but it can be quicker to just search for the name yourself.

Bennett5000 06-09-2008 04:06 PM

I use it when I'm driving. It only occasionally frustrates me but overall I like it. I had the UK english voice on for a while that was sort of fun but went back to US english.

Two Mike Romeo 06-09-2008 04:25 PM

I like it!

I use it regularly when paired with a Bluetooth headset. It works >90% of the time the first time out. And for those times that it did not work, it was usually when there was a lot of background noise.

Randall
Two Mike Romeo

styxgroupi 06-09-2008 04:26 PM

Wirelessly posted

Using curve 8330 tried it NOT accurate enough for me... Lol I hate repeating myself.

pvdiamon 06-09-2008 04:48 PM

I have used it and it is probably 75% for me....but I'm not sure why I use it over speed dialing. How much memory would I free up if I deleted it? I'd keep it unless I get like 2 meg or something.

John

kozbb 06-11-2008 11:31 AM

i love it, when i am driving used always 99% efective
only u have to do is talk clearly, and slowly. my address book
have short names thats why VAD found correct number.

frankrmineo 06-11-2008 11:35 AM

ok

I find it ok. I find it more accurate than my previous LG phone, but my only complaint is it was unable to pick up "dad", "mom", "grandmother", etc. So I was forced to put in their full names. Not really a big deal, but just something I had to adapt to.

tprime 06-11-2008 11:36 AM

I guess i dont talk clear enough. I tried it but I find it to inaccurate. So i hardly use it.

bryanpittman 06-11-2008 07:04 PM

I use the voice dial feature daily and find it very usefull and accurate. Speak clearly and make sure that there is little or no background noise.

rachamphetamine 06-11-2008 07:28 PM

Just not a fan.

GadgetGuru72 06-11-2008 07:28 PM

I use it all the time and I've found it to be probably 95% accurate. I wear a BT headset while driving. Pressing the multi-function button on the BT headset pulls up the VAD feature, I speak my commands, and off it goes. I have learned over time which names it is likely going to have trouble with, so I just make sure to enunciate a little more when I say those names. Otherwise, I just speak normally and it almost always gets it right. I love it, as it allows me to focus on driving rather than dialing the phone.

jdmevo8 06-11-2008 09:41 PM

I love it. It definitely comes in handy. You can set your setting to make it more or less sensitive. I primarly use it with the Bluetooth.

When it comes to saying the actual numbers, that is a completly different story. It is bad and way off. It completely sucks!

I love the VAD from the address book.

John Clark 06-11-2008 09:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JSanders (Post 962779)
I used it, not accurate enough for the time spent getting it right. I deleted the application.

This was my experience, as well.

Raven 06-12-2008 10:21 PM

Wirelessly posted (7130e)

I use it mostly when driving. Works well for me in the car.

Walt 06-13-2008 06:27 AM

I love it however I only use it when I'm using my Plantronics 510 head set. It seems to be about 98% accurate. It's especially good when telling it numbers to dial. So far I have 100% accuracy.