BlackBerry Forums Support Community

BlackBerry Forums Support Community (http://www.blackberryforums.com/index.php)
-   General 8100 Series Discussion - Pearl (http://www.blackberryforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=71)
-   -   8120 =] (http://www.blackberryforums.com/showthread.php?t=147788)

-KELLY 08-30-2008 07:53 PM

8120 =]

:smile:

Since the 8120 has the wifi, can it go to myspace or sites? Like a computer or something? I talked to my provider, AT&T/Cingular and they said that the internet for Blackberry is 4x slower than dial up. Is the internet on the phone slow? If I was to get it, will it be unlimited internet?

Also, I use to have a 8100 and it already have the BB maps installed, will the 8120 have it installed already also? Honestly, I really need a GPS because I suck at roads. But I do not want the 8110 because it doesn't have wifi and I need both. So I'm just wondering if the 8120 can have the bb maps installed or if it doesn't, can I install the GOOGLE maps into the 8120?

I just want to make sure I can do things with the 8120 before buying it. I'm really into BLACKBERRYS. They make my life more easlier!!:oops:

jeremyckitching 08-30-2008 08:19 PM

Using Wi-Fi on the BlackBerry 8120 is NOT 4x slower than dial up. I am not sure what the person you were talking to was talking about.

As for GPS, you can purchase a Bluetooth GPS device and pair it with the Pearl 8120. That way you can use Blackberry Maps (which should come installed on the device) or Google Maps for turn-by-turn directions.

-KELLY 08-30-2008 08:45 PM

Do you guys know any GPS program that is like..they talk to you? like..

At the intersection, TURN LEFT

like it talks to you? or something.

=/

jeremyckitching 08-30-2008 08:47 PM

Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry Curve 8320)

There is Telenav, which is popular. Also, MapQuest Navigator.

-KELLY 08-30-2008 08:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jeremyckitching (Post 1081988)
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry Curve 8320)

There is Telenav, which is popular. Also, MapQuest Navigator.

How much is it per month?

Which one funtion better??

Well, which one is CHEAPER? lol:smile:

jsalny 09-05-2008 07:45 AM

Wirelessly posted (8320)

Google maps is free and if you go to directions it will give you point to point diections. Not as good as GPS but its free and it uses the cell phone tower where your signal comes from to track you, kind of a low tech GPS.

snbd889 09-07-2008 12:32 AM

There is no good gps solution (non-monthly subscription) out right now for blackberries. I like google maps because it can approximate my location based on the cell phone towers i am connected to. Another one that works fairly well is Microsoft Live.

For any gps you will need a data plan ($30 a month) from ATT. I currently have it and used it more when i drove every day for work. Now that i am back at school i dont really need the gps functionality anymore (not to say i wont use it when i return home). In my opinion, you may be better off saving up them pennies (at $30 a month) if all you want out of the 8120 is navigation and purchasing yourself a TomTom Gps unit (yeah its one more gadget, but you are throwing away $360 a year for internet (TomTom unit will cost half that), and you probably wont use your gps daily.

On the other hand,if you use your blackberry for e-mail, calender, and other internet related functions, then it may be worth the investment (coming from the 7130c, i think the 8120 cant be beat by ANY phone, aside from the Bold, but that is neither released or in the same price range)