BlackBerry Forums Support Community

BlackBerry Forums Support Community (http://www.blackberryforums.com/index.php)
-   General 9000 Series Discussion - Bold (http://www.blackberryforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=106)
-   -   3G to EDGE (http://www.blackberryforums.com/showthread.php?t=165270)

johnnyp500 12-15-2008 09:05 AM

3G to EDGE

Hi,
When i am in a 3G area and then i reach an area with no 3G coverage the phone has X where the reception bars are and it takes about a minute or 2 before it finds EDGE and until it does im on 0 reception. Is that normal? Or does my phone have a problem?

Serkle K 12-15-2008 09:09 AM

I want to say thats normal, but it could be just your device. I have noticed that when I am in an transition of the 2 signals, my phone will show 3G w/one bar, and hang there... it will send and recieve info and calls, but I cannot hear anything, and then it dropps to an "X" and then switches to EDGE, once it even switched to GPRS, but that was on a rural back road on my way down to my girlfriends graduation from college.

johnnyp500 12-15-2008 09:17 AM

Exactly it goes between one bar to X. then just stay at X as if its trying to catch the signal and in a couple of minutes it switches to full reception in EDGE but a couple of minutes is way too long without reception. to me it sounds more like a software issue that delays the switching between networks too long because a hardware issue would just have reception problems at all times however if it is a hardware issue i have a few more days until my 30... so.. :) please some more opinions before my 30 days come and go :) thanks

mariner 12-15-2008 09:25 AM

My Bold does that when I go from EDGE to 3G. It'll drop any calls I'm on and refuse to make a call. I get an x until I get to a stronger 3G area.

Serkle K 12-15-2008 09:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by johnnyp500 (Post 1209782)
Exactly it goes between one bar to X. then just stay at X as if its trying to catch the signal and in a couple of minutes it switches to full reception in EDGE but a couple of minutes is way too long without reception. to me it sounds more like a software issue that delays the switching between networks too long because a hardware issue would just have reception problems at all times however if it is a hardware issue i have a few more days until my 30... so.. :) please some more opinions before my 30 days come and go :) thanks

what OS are you running? I am on .190, but I didnt really give the stock .167(?I think?) a chance cause I knew it had it's own bugs. I downloaded right from the RIM site, and then followed every ones advice on install on the forums. I haven't heard of it being related to the software, but it very well could be. my WinMo device transeferd signals fast, but occasionally would get stuck and drop a call I was on. As of right now, I can say that one MAJOR difference since my upgrade it the ability to hold a 3G signal very well, and get 3G where I was only able to get EDGE before... but that's a whole other thread...

johnnyp500 12-15-2008 09:38 AM

im on .185. I also have a USB Connect wireless modem from AT&T which also isnt able at the moment to find 3G so I think there is a problem with the network but my phone now is on SOS instead of transferring to EDGE edge GSM or anything I dont have reception at all now. Thats why it sounds like a software bug because when its available it works.. but it just doesnt switch

caggie01 12-15-2008 09:50 AM

I'm on .190. My phone will drop calls when switching from 3G to Edge; but I can still make calls, etc while on EDGE. I just hate the dropped calls. I doesn't happen often, but bad at my house, on edge of town. Never had problem with 8800.

Serkle K 12-15-2008 09:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by johnnyp500 (Post 1209806)
im on .185. I also have a USB Connect wireless modem from AT&T which also isnt able at the moment to find 3G so I think there is a problem with the network but my phone now is on SOS instead of transferring to EDGE edge GSM or anything I dont have reception at all now. Thats why it sounds like a software bug because when its available it works.. but it just doesnt switch

sounds almost like a combo of network/software bugs...