BlackBerry Forums Support Community

BlackBerry Forums Support Community (http://www.blackberryforums.com/index.php)
-   Hardware & Accessories (http://www.blackberryforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   trackball problems on 8800 (http://www.blackberryforums.com/showthread.php?t=191927)

Adge23 05-31-2009 12:23 PM

trackball problems on 8800

Hi everyone. So my problem is that my trackball suddenly won't scroll down. It rolls downward just fine, but the cursor on the screen will not go downward.

I've had scrolling problems before, and they've always remedied themselves when I just rolled the trackball around a bit. This problem, however, has been going on for two days and I have tried a number of things to fix it, including the following:

- turned off phone and pushed the trackball down while scrolling downward, then rolled it around in all directions
- did a battery pull to reset the phone in case it was just a software glitch
- removed chrome ring and trackball, cleaned underneath trackball
- used compressed air to spray underneath trackball and trackball apparatus

About all this has accomplished is to scrape the chrome off the ring that holds the trackball in place and has resulted in the ring no longer fitting snugly. I did notice that when I put the trackball back in upside down (with the metal maginifying-glass-shaped piece on the back of the trackball apparatus pointing downward), I was able to scroll left, right, and down, but not up.

I guess my question is, do I need to buy a new trackball or is there something I've missed in trying to fix the current one?

Thanks in advance for the help.

david9962000 05-31-2009 06:52 PM

In a message use the space key to scroll down.

PDA Repair World - A full line of RIM BlackBerry repair services and BlackBerry parts for all BlackBerry handheld devices

Dubdub 05-31-2009 07:35 PM

If you tried all the usual tricks, then I would say it might be time for a replacement.

Did it get wet by any chance?

Adge23 05-31-2009 07:50 PM

got it working

Thanks for the responses. I know the phone didn't get wet, so that wasn't the problem. To fix it, I pushed down the trackball and rolled it diagonally downward. Don't know why this didn't fix it before, because I rolled it around for a few minutes at least three separate times. It's not working perfectly, but it's useable for now. Might order a new trackball and ring just to be safe.

Thanks again.

Adge23 06-15-2009 05:15 PM

trackball won't click, now

So, two weeks after thinking I had this problem fixed, the trackball started acting up again. Only now it won't click. I roll the trackball and it thinks I'm clicking, half the time it selects something, the other half it actually moves the cursor, but the ball itself refuses to click like normal.

I thought maybe it was the ball itself, so I ordered a new one, installed it carefully, and found that the problem still exists. I've searched the boards and not really found anything similar to this, so I'm looking for any help you can provide.

Thanks.

Sytner 06-16-2009 01:45 AM

When you had the trackball out; when you rolled it did all four of the magnetic rollers move?

Adge23 06-17-2009 11:40 AM

still stumped

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sytner (Post 1407171)
When you had the trackball out; when you rolled it did all four of the magnetic rollers move?

Yes, all four of the rollers appear to move.

What it really feels like is that there's supposed to be something just under the trackball apparatus that holds it up slightly, and whatever that thing is, it isn't there anymore. When you push down on the trackball, it doesn't give at all. I saw another thread about cleaning some sticker that resides under the trackball. Is it possible that that or something else fell out when I took the first trackball out?

AeonSolus 07-08-2009 01:43 AM

Don't force it. get a replacement mate ;)