BlackBerry Forums Support Community

BlackBerry Forums Support Community (http://www.blackberryforums.com/index.php)
-   Rumor Mill (http://www.blackberryforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   RIM Netbook? (http://www.blackberryforums.com/showthread.php?t=205961)

Dubdub 10-02-2009 07:46 AM

RIM Netbook?

An interesting bit of news:

Is RIM Cooking up some Computer Goodies???

We just received some exciting news that RIM has started development on its very first Mini PC. It will be somewhat comparable to something like the HP 1151NR but will offer a few more goodies to the consumer. Here is what is known thus far.

It will be powered by an Intel Processor, 2 GB RAM and 120 GB hard drive. In essence, a basic machine suitable for daily mobile computing and more. Some other hardware specs include 10-inch LCD display, ethernet port, USB, SD medial slot and a DVDRW disk drive. It will be equipped with an internal 3G module that will supports a certain unnamed CDMA network for seamless connectivity as well as a SIM card slot. Interesting, a SIM card slot, I wonder what RIM plans on doing with that

So stay tuned as we will be bringing you some exclusive photos of this bad boy over the next couple of days. With that being said, lets hear what you have to say about this.

Won't believe it until I see it however. Doesn't make a lot of sense to me.

juwaack68 10-02-2009 09:35 AM

OOOHHH!!! Sounds lovely.

NoLimitz80 10-02-2009 10:54 AM

I do know that something gets announced next week from RIM but I do not know what however. :(

daphne 10-02-2009 11:19 AM

Doesn't make a lot of sense to me either. Seems like an odd direction for RIM. I have the Verizon HP 1151NR and I love it. It's a great little machine and so easy to carry around.

Blueberry Tooth 10-03-2009 09:34 PM

Sounds like they're planning a hybrid. A mix between a netbook and a giant blackberry!!!

BallHawk3 10-04-2009 01:47 AM

CDMA?

Hmmm, maybe Sprint and WiMAX?

TallPaul86 10-07-2009 06:01 PM

the idea of a RIM netbook is an awesome one in my opinion (just look at how desirable the Nokia Booklet is...) however one thing that's confusing me is the mention of a DVD drive of sorts

Where the hell they gonna fit that?!?

I have a Compaq Mini 702EA and i can tell you straight away that in order to fit an optical drive of any sort the netbook would get REAL thicker or the space saving technology would be so immense it would command a ridiculous price tag...

Also if RIM decide to do a Netbook then what OS would it run? I would hope Windows 7 because god help them if they decide to run BlackBerry OS on the Netbook!! lol

genericbrand 10-10-2009 11:26 AM

This is a big challenge for RIM to take on a project like this, a little out of the box for them.

ArgonNJ 10-10-2009 11:59 AM

If this is true, then RIM is truly running the Palm playbook. Stagnate OS and redundant models. Then instead of new OS, Palm gave us the Folieo, which was such a joke, it never came to market. RIM should concentrate on a new OS, a new browser and leave the netbooks to the other guys.

skeevecr 10-12-2009 02:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ArgonNJ (Post 1486610)
If this is true, then RIM is truly running the Palm playbook. Stagnate OS and redundant models. Then instead of new OS, Palm gave us the Folieo, which was such a joke, it never came to market. RIM should concentrate on a new OS, a new browser and leave the netbooks to the other guys.

Not at all jumping the gun are you, one little rumour and suddenly they are going to ignore things like a new browser and new OS that are definitely coming.