BlackBerry Forums Support Community

BlackBerry Forums Support Community (http://www.blackberryforums.com/index.php)
-   General BlackBerry Discussion (http://www.blackberryforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   HP acquires Palm (http://www.blackberryforums.com/showthread.php?t=225390)

NJBlackBerry 04-28-2010 03:17 PM

HP acquires Palm

HP to Acquire Palm for $1.2 Billion - Yahoo! Finance

Guess they had a spare $1.2bn to waste on this. Maybe they will resurrect the iPaq line?

fonejunkie 04-28-2010 03:55 PM

Palm also has a decent portfolio of patents... and that's where the $$$ is these days...

monkeypaw 04-28-2010 03:58 PM

Resurrect you say. Hm, maybe that's why they're doing this. HP begs to differ about that line being dead:

Handheld Computers, Windows Mobile, Smartphone, PDA, GPS Device | HP

They're saying the Palm OS will be used for tablets and other handhelds. That's starting to make more sense. Reportedly that's a pretty good OS. I've never played with it because it's used in phones that seem like toys. In a nice tablet, I might take a look.

NJBlackBerry 04-28-2010 04:00 PM

As a pure play tablet, it would have to compete with the HP Slate and that iPad thingy...

monkeypaw 04-28-2010 04:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NJBlackBerry (Post 1600370)
As a pure play tablet, it would have to compete with the HP Slate and that iPad thingy...

I had to look up what an HP Slate was. That seems to be a theme here with HP's products.

They really aren't rocking the world with Microsoft so having their own OS may be a good thing.

NJBlackBerry 04-28-2010 04:12 PM

Perhaps. In the grand scheme of things,$1.2bn isn't that much of a spend for HP.

They had a line of handhelds - the iPaqs. Used Windows CE. Terrible. They have an awful track record with handheld/mobile devices. It's not like they are buying market share here...

I don't get it.

Trimix 04-28-2010 04:49 PM

HP has plenty of money to throw around ($13.5 billion) - Who would benefit most by buying Palm? | Circuit Breaker - CNET News

monkeypaw 04-28-2010 05:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NJBlackBerry (Post 1600376)
Perhaps. In the grand scheme of things,$1.2bn isn't that much of a spend for HP.

They had a line of handhelds - the iPaqs. Used Windows CE. Terrible. They have an awful track record with handheld/mobile devices. It's not like they are buying market share here...

I don't get it.

They still have a tiny line of iPaqs. Now running Windows Mobile Pro. The HP iPaq Glisten is sold by AT&T.

Until today, I didn't even know HP was still in hand helds. However tiny the Palm share is, it's bigger than HP's. Plus HP gets to ditch Windows Mobile, which is probably one of the reasons no one buys their devices.

The more I think about it, the less dumb it seems. Although the price may be a bit high.

tsac 04-28-2010 05:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NJBlackBerry (Post 1600370)

dont forget the I-berrypad:razz: