BlackBerry Forums Support Community

BlackBerry Forums Support Community (http://www.blackberryforums.com/index.php)
-   Rants and Raves Forum (http://www.blackberryforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=75)
-   -   My company finally got smart... (http://www.blackberryforums.com/showthread.php?t=229844)

Zacht 06-29-2010 03:55 PM

My company finally got smart...

So my company issued all it's employees blackberrys and due to a recent car accident in which an employee was at fault and using his blackberry; they realized just how much we adore them. Now, they have decided to implement something similar to this text message blocking device. Personally, it doesn't affect me since I do very little leaving of the office. I think it's sort of a good idea though. Anyone else have a company with something similar to this or a cellphone blocker in the facility?

TBOLTRAM 06-29-2010 07:30 PM

I believe all keyboard devices should be banned from use while driving. A couple of years ago a Harris County Sheriff almost side swiped me while I was driving because the alleged human being was using his laptop instead of watching the road. It scared my wife and I enough that we did not have the present of mind to get the guys license number.

I spoke to my State Farm agent later and he told me that I can give him the license number if it happens again.

Zero Tolerance Works Both Ways.

SteveO86 07-01-2010 07:19 AM

Why not just block SMS with an IT Policy?

TBOLTRAM 07-01-2010 06:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SteveO86 (Post 1624337)

That would require intelligence. Remember IT stands for Information Technology not Intelligent Technology.

CanuckBB 07-01-2010 11:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SteveO86 (Post 1624337)

Because you may not want to block SMS all the time, just when the car is moving.

Of course, how do you account for letting a passenger operate the BB for you?

Or the concept that it would indeed be a cold day in hell before I'd let my employer make modifications to my personal vehicle.

expatspain 07-02-2010 05:32 AM

As far as the employer is concerned it was a smart move made by the employer..and the government should seriously take some action against it and introduce some new laws to ban the phone while driving...

devnull 07-02-2010 08:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CanuckBB (Post 1624605)
Because you may not want to block SMS all the time, just when the car is moving.

Or the concept that it would indeed be a cold day in hell before I'd let my employer make modifications to my personal vehicle.

Quote:

Originally Posted by expatspain (Post 1624670)
As far as the employer is concerned it was a smart move made by the employer..and the government should seriously take some action against it and introduce some new laws to ban the phone while driving...

While I completely agree with stiffer laws and penalties regarding mobile usage while driving, I also agree that there is no way in hades that my employer is gonna make mods to my personal vehicle. If the vehicle is company owned, that is another story.

SteveO86 07-02-2010 07:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CanuckBB (Post 1624605)

Shouldn't it just be common sense.. seriously.

Just don't use the BB while driving or at least wait till your at a red light.. It's not rocket science.

daphne 07-02-2010 10:01 PM

Didn't anyone tell you.... common sense is dead. :razz: Seriously it is.

SteveO86 07-02-2010 10:04 PM

Well, if putting in a password is that tough while driving, you think typing an email response would be easier?

Besides set the min password to 4 chars.. that should be more then simple to enter.

jsconyers 07-05-2010 01:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by daphne (Post 1624915)

Yes, it is. That's why I now refer to it as good sense, because it really isn't that common.

Wuzzer 07-05-2010 09:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by daphne (Post 1624915)

perhaps it was run over by a texting driver?

TBOLTRAM 07-07-2010 05:24 PM

Nah, it was replaced by a bunch of MBAs.