BlackBerry Forums Support Community

BlackBerry Forums Support Community (http://www.blackberryforums.com/index.php)
-   General 9800 Series Discussion - Torch (http://www.blackberryforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=142)
-   -   I never thought I'd say this - I think I'm regretting the touch screen (http://www.blackberryforums.com/showthread.php?t=245717)

DZD 03-03-2011 09:28 PM

I never thought I'd say this - I think I'm regretting the touch screen

I'm a long time user of blackberries (8700, 8800, 8300, 8330, 9700) and couldn't wait to get the Torch. It combined the best of past blackberries and had a larger screen, better browser, etc.

Now that I've had it for almost a year, a few things annoy me:

1. The keyboard - while still a physical keyboard, isn't as good as the Curve.

2. Every now and then it just seems to lag - the touch screen is slow to respond - have to touch, slide, gester repeatedly or very carefully, inadvertent touches on the screen causes the menu to appear, etc. I've done multiple battery pulls but it's just not as smooth as I thought it would be.

3. And the biggest issue - I constantly seem to hit the right combination of spots on the screen that results in me turning off the radio - so I get no phone calls, no emails, etc.

I wonder if an app to disable the touch screen portion (forcing to use the trackpad) would help.

Anyways - I'm bummed - not sure what to do - i'm on .246 so I'll load .337 and see if it improves. I used to hate those people who mocked the torch and kept whining about a new version of the Bold 9000 - now I find myself looking at the new Bold replacement (Dakota) more and more . . .

Anyone have a similar experience? Any suggestions?

Thanks.

biggy82 03-04-2011 02:10 AM

Re: I never thought I'd say this - I think I'm regretting the touch screen

yep, the touchscreen is very sensitive. i personally dont have too many problems with it but my wife is always getting into the same trouble about turning the radio off. she thinks she should just pop the phone in her bag after disconnecting a call.

do a search cos there are apps that lock the TS

oh and BTW, why not upgrade to .448 or .450?

Calebrity 03-04-2011 03:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by biggy82 (Post 1705251)
oh and BTW, why not upgrade to .448 or .450?

i was just going to say this, have you tried adjusting the touchscreen settings at all, i know this will not help with the screen transitions but that is the main reason that kept me from using the torch. I am not a fan of how laggy it looks in comparison to the 9100, 9300, 9700, and 9780 all with OS6.

I have done some testing with the different devices and and I can transitions between my screens faster without the touchscreen then with the touchscreen. which i know seems minor in the long run but still a good asset.

JaguarXJ7 03-04-2011 07:10 AM

Ugrade to .450 and get yourself a copy of PatternLock, plus make good use of the lock button. Most of your issues will be resolved. Touch screens are not for everyone though; seems strange that you have not gotten used to the touchscreen after almost a year.

To each his own ...... I personally love it; somethings are just simply better with a touchscreen. Good Luck!
Posted via BlackBerryForums.com Mobile

AZsteelman 03-04-2011 09:18 AM

Hey, if you're not used to it by now, I doubt you ever will be. I had to find another Theme that rearranged things a little to make it work for me. The one I have now has the radio and everything down at the bottom of the screen and it's not touch activated, just info only (Crossroads Theme).

I also have bLOC installed, and it's a nice add on...

Calebrity 03-04-2011 09:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AZsteelman (Post 1705289)

What is this bLOC?
Berry Lock? does it self lock the screen?

AZsteelman 03-04-2011 06:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Calebrity (Post 1705291)
What is this bLOC?
Berry Lock? does it self lock the screen?

I got it at App world - works like a charm. Locks the screen after a period of time you choose, then you simply slide the lock to open it like an iPhone. Pretty simple -

DZD 03-04-2011 08:09 PM

I appreciate the comments - one clarification though - I am used to it - I can get around it very quickly - it's just that the swipes and other gestures are not as smooth as I had anticipated. I'll upgrade the OS and see if that helps.

I use the lock key all the time - sometimes when I place it somewhere or set it down I may not lock it and then I inadvertently hit the top right corner and in few cases touch it somewhere again that turns off the radio.

If I use my phone with my left hand and hold it a little bit away from my ear I sometimes inadvertently activate the speaker phone - then i have to look at the phone - wait for the screen to appear and put it back on handset.

Little stuff like that - I did just try changing the touch settings to see if that helps.

We'll see.

palomartian 03-05-2011 09:39 PM

I miss the trackball, but the touchscreen is great and easy to get used to. I should prolly look at my trackpad settings. On mine the entire top row takes me to the radio settings, so ya, it would be easy to hit. I don't trust the lock button so I use Berryslider.

DZD 03-06-2011 03:13 PM

Updated to .450 - simple and painless and so far no issues. Hopefully this resolves the relatively minor (yet annoying) lag issues.

Someone mentioned a different theme so I don't hit the area at the top of the screen that allows me to quickly access the network settings - that's probably a good idea.

The only other issue is the accidental hit of the hold or speakerphone when I'm using the phone. There's a phone lock app for that - but I'm a cheapskate.

We'll see. :smile:

Thanks.

guinda35 03-07-2011 03:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AZsteelman (Post 1705289)
Hey, if you're not used to it by now, I doubt you ever will be. I had to find another Theme that rearranged things a little to make it work for me. The one I have now has the radio and everything down at the bottom of the screen and it's not touch activated, just info only (Crossroads Theme).

Thanks for the tips. My problem with the touchscreen involves my cheeks hitting the mute or other button while on a non-headset call.

iphonenowtorch 03-11-2011 10:45 AM

I just purchased the app "TGrape Lock". Its great and works really well. Its 2.99 but free trial now. It a swipe lock and you can set it so that when you talk on the phone it locks it. It will solve the "cheek" problem

iphonenowtorch 03-11-2011 10:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DZD (Post 1705752)
The only other issue is the accidental hit of the hold or speakerphone when I'm using the phone. There's a phone lock app for that - but I'm a cheapskate.

Thanks.

Try the TGrape lock, like I said, it locks the phone when you talk so you will solve the prob. I understand that you are cheap, but why pay hundreds of $ for a phone but then be too cheap to pay an extra 2 bucks especially that its going to avoid you being annoyed?

Good Luck!

tbird57 03-11-2011 11:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by iphonenowtorch (Post 1706813)
I understand that you are cheap, but why pay hundreds of $ for a phone but then be too cheap to pay an extra 2 bucks especially that its going to avoid you being annoyed?

Good Luck!

if you pay hundreds of dollars for the technological advances you should not have to buy an app for that.

iphonenowtorch 03-11-2011 12:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tbird57 (Post 1706820)
if you pay hundreds of dollars for the technological advances you should not have to buy an app for that.

I agree BUT, not everyone has this problem... Also, I owned many, many many phones, and with everyone of them, there is something I would have improved, or made it better to fit MY lifestyle/preferences. I am glad that with the new technology, I am able to pay a few dollars to make my iphone/BB better for me. I figure, if I can afford hundreds on a phone and plan, why be cheap when it comes to making it easier for me? We are talking about $2.

tbird57 03-11-2011 12:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by iphonenowtorch (Post 1706828)
I agree BUT, not everyone has this problem... Also, I owned many, many many phones, and with everyone of them, there is something I would have improved, or made it better to fit MY lifestyle/preferences. I am glad that with the new technology, I am able to pay a few dollars to make my iphone/BB better for me. I figure, if I can afford hundreds on a phone and plan, why be cheap when it comes to making it easier for me? We are talking about $2.

I agree with you...I purchased a similar lock app also...not for the problem mentioned above...

palomartian 03-12-2011 12:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tbird57 (Post 1706820)

Every modestly sophisticated piece of electronics involves some learning and adjusting on the part of the consumer. For some, applications to modify the behavior of the device are preferable to adapting ones own behaviors.