BlackBerry Forums Support Community

BlackBerry Forums Support Community (http://www.blackberryforums.com/index.php)
-   General BlackBerry Discussion (http://www.blackberryforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   POP3 UserName Issue (http://www.blackberryforums.com/showthread.php?t=64576)

SandeSaimond 02-10-2007 09:32 AM

POP3 UserName Issue

I tried to search the forum for other threads and guess I wasn't using the right keywords because I didn't find what I needed. :oops:

I just bought a Pearl and am trying to configure it with my POP3 email accounts. I can send/receive mail to my blackberry.net account and I can send mail using my POP3 info. However, I can't receive. I believe the issue is that I'm not given the option to type in the correct username for my POP3 account. The system automatically assumes that my username is only the portion of my address before the @. My user name is actually the entire email address "whatever@mydomain.com"

Is there a place where I can edit the username?

Sande

JSanders 02-10-2007 10:32 AM

Wirelessly posted (8700g: BlackBerry8700/4.1.0 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/100)

Yes, go to the BIS support of your carriers website and there you complete and edit the info for your POP account.

SandeSaimond 02-10-2007 10:40 AM

Tried that already -- :cry:

:cry: JSanders:

Thanks for the reply. My carrier is Cingular and I've already been there. The userID is not an editable field. Any suggestions?

I can't be the only person on the planet that's having this problem. Everyone that uses the same hosting provider that I do would have the same issue if they use a BB device. I talked a friend through fixing this problem -- the issue was the username. Is it a problem with Cingular - or am I missing something obvious (other than the fact that the only field on the screen that I can't change is the userID field)? I'm at bis.na.blackberry.com.

Sande Saimond

Cradle 02-10-2007 11:29 AM

Hey, just delete the current account you setup then try to set it up again but put in a wrong password or no password. That will take you to the advanced setup where you can enter any username you choose.:smile:

SandeSaimond 02-10-2007 11:42 AM

aHAH!

OK, I knew there had to be some sort of secret handshake going on here. I did delete and recreate, but didn't know the trick of purposely goofing it up to force it to take me to the advanced screen!

You're AWESOME!

Thanks!!

:wink:

Dubdub 02-10-2007 12:10 PM

Well I don't know where you are looking, but I can edit mine if I hit the "EDIT" icon to the right of the Valid Email Address.

I have several addresses which use the entire email address as the user name.

BTW, I am on Cingular also.

SandeSaimond 02-10-2007 12:35 PM

DubDub:

I needed to change my UserID, not my email address -- if your UserID is editable from that edit screen, then you are looking at a different Cingular screen than I am. I was able to input the userID I needed by using the instructions from Cradle.

Sande Saimond