BlackBerry Forums Support Community

BlackBerry Forums Support Community (http://www.blackberryforums.com/index.php)
-   General 8100 Series Discussion - Pearl (http://www.blackberryforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=71)
-   -   Unlocking Pearl question... (http://www.blackberryforums.com/showthread.php?t=66457)

yg17 02-24-2007 12:30 AM

Unlocking Pearl question...

I have a question about unlocking my T-Mobile Pearl. We may be going on vacation overseas this summer (crossing my fingers!) and would likely buy a prepaid SIM. I'm coming up on my 90 days with T-Mobile and will likely request my unlock code just in case we do go out of the country, and if not, unlock it just for the hell of it. I thought I heard with some phones, you need to put in another carriers SIM before you can enter the unlock code. Is the Pearl the same way, or can I unlock it without having a non T-Mobile SIM? I don't want to waste my unlock code if I can't actually unlock it. Thanks

bbgambit 02-24-2007 12:44 AM

I recently unlock my T-Mobile Pearl without the need of poping in a SIM from another carrier. I called CS and requested unlock code and got it via email with instruction within 2 days. Whole process pretty simple and no hassel.

FarSeide 02-24-2007 02:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bbgambit
I recently unlock my T-Mobile Pearl without the need of poping in a SIM from another carrier. I called CS and requested unlock code and got it via email with instruction within 2 days. Whole process pretty simple and no hassel.

+1, you dont need any other SIM card to unlock your Pearl.

zachberry 02-24-2007 09:37 AM

what is the main advantage of unlocking it?

LunkHead 02-24-2007 09:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by yg17
I thought I heard with some phones, you need to put in another carriers SIM before you can enter the unlock code. Is the Pearl the same way, or can I unlock it without having a non T-Mobile SIM? I don't want to waste my unlock code if I can't actually unlock it. Thanks

Never heard of this on a BB..... Once you get the code and instructions from T-Mo just follow them and you will be a-ok and unlocked in no time flat! :)

NJBlackBerry 02-24-2007 09:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by zachberry
what is the main advantage of unlocking it?

Most BlackBerrys come "locked" to a specific carrier. You can only use them with a SIM card from that carrier.

Unlocking a BlackBerry (or any locked phone) allows you to use another carriers SIM card in it.

Please note that when using another carriers SIM card in a BlackBerry, you have to ensure that the SIM card has a BlackBerry Data Plan on it, otherwise you will just have voice and SMS text on it. No data at all.

erroneus 02-24-2007 03:01 PM

I'm travelling to Japan next week. Do you think TMobile would give me the unlock even though I just got this phone less than a week ago? (Been with them since 2004 though) What pretense or reason was offered for wanting to unlock it?

Berryguy 02-24-2007 03:08 PM

TMo should have no issue giving you the unlock codes... in fact majority of world GSM phones are sold unlocked. Locking is only a way of ensuring you do not migrate to someone else... There are websites that help to unlock the phone in case TMo has any issue, I think they charge about $25 or so.

LunkHead 02-24-2007 03:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Berryguy
TMo should have no issue giving you the unlock codes... in fact majority of world GSM phones are sold unlocked. Locking is only a way of ensuring you do not migrate to someone else... There are websites that help to unlock the phone in case TMo has any issue, I think they charge about $25 or so.

To answer the Q.... It does not matter how long you have had the device.... As long as you have been with T-Mo for more than 90 days and are a customer in good standing they will give it to you...

As for the majority of GSM phones getting sold unlocked.... I don't agree with that statement..... ALL devices in the US are sold locked to a carrier...

NJBlackBerry 02-24-2007 03:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by erroneus
I'm travelling to Japan next week. Do you think TMobile would give me the unlock even though I just got this phone less than a week ago? (Been with them since 2004 though) What pretense or reason was offered for wanting to unlock it?

Japan has a different wireless phone system. Japan does not have GSM/GPRS. Your phone will not work there. You can contact T-Mobile about getting you a J-Mode phone (or 3G) or you can rent one there. But your GSM T-Mobile phone will not work there.