BlackBerry Forums Support Community

BlackBerry Forums Support Community (http://www.blackberryforums.com/index.php)
-   General BlackBerry Discussion (http://www.blackberryforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   7520 Up/Download arrows changed . . . (http://www.blackberryforums.com/showthread.php?t=7122)

incontrol 04-23-2005 10:28 PM

7520 Up/Download arrows changed . . .

I'm a new BB7520 user (about a month now) and I love my new toy.
Recently I noticed a change in the upload/download arrow icons that appear on the upper right corner of the screen.
Originally they were of the straight variety with a slant similar to the Starwars movie introductions. After a recent unintentional reboot (while I was muting the volume of a profile no less) I noticed that the arrows have changed to a rather robust curved design (still blue) with tails on them. I even have a zig-zagged double arrow.
At first I wasn't sure that I was remembering the arrows correctly but we have a another BB7520 in our office and his arrows are of the original design, which incidentally match the arrows shown on my 'Getting stated guide'. I also showed the new arrows to a Nextel rep at recent trade show (who was wearing a BlackBerry polo) and he was quite intrigued but still perplexed.
Has anyone else noticed this change? I hasn't altered any of my apps or anything but is still curious nonetheless.
One final note: I also noticed that my num lock symbol actually displays the pound sign now (since the arrow change) on the left side of the oval whereas before it was actually a triangle symbol in the same location (a mirror image of the shift lock symbol).
Like I said, I love my BB.

Dawg 04-24-2005 07:30 AM

Hmm cool I havent noticed anything like that at all..

wlee309 04-24-2005 09:54 AM

can you provide us w a photo of it?

incontrol 04-24-2005 01:28 PM

OK, I'll post a picture tomorrow if I can capture it on my digital camera.

I guess my real question is: if they can change my basic setup like this then what else are they able to do without my knowledge?

incontrol 04-25-2005 12:10 AM

3 Attachment(s)
OK, here are the pics. As you can see they are significantly different from the original arrows. Anyone else experience this change in their BB7520? BTW - my software version is still 4.0.0.160 (from Nextel).

Mark Rejhon 04-25-2005 12:21 AM

Weird -- Did you upgrade the OS to 4.0.0.319 recently, out of curiousity?

incontrol 04-25-2005 12:54 AM

No Mark, I haven't upgraded yet. I'm still at 4.0.0.160.
I did have to call Nextel CS to resend the service packs after the crash (I couldn't access email via WebClient) but I know for a fact that the arrow change occurred immediately after the crash. Jim.

pcnetgeek 04-25-2005 01:42 AM

i've got the same BB on Nextel's and yea, yours looks very different that what i have .. very weird

kinger 04-25-2005 05:35 AM

Also your signal strength indicator is now numeric and no longer bars. But I wouldn't worry about it for now, as long as everything is working. But if you are really concerned just do the upgrade, if it is a third party app causing this, it should be removed during the upgrade proccess.

Dawg 04-25-2005 07:46 AM

you can change the signal meter to numbers thats easy but his arows are very differnt than mine i have the same exact BB as well

NXTL*BRIAN 04-25-2005 06:54 PM

Cool...

I just checked my arrows to see what they looked like. Mine are similiar to those of other BB users. I still have the star wars look arrows. Also, how do you change your signal meter to numbers?

mikealdo 04-26-2005 12:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NXTL*BRIAN
I just checked my arrows to see what they looked like. Mine are similiar to those of other BB users. I still have the star wars look arrows. Also, how do you change your signal meter to numbers?

Hold down ALT while you key N M L L, then release ALT

incontrol 04-26-2005 12:53 AM

It seems the majority users have the original arrows. I haven't noticed anything unusual other than the num lock change.
Are the other user's num locks a pound sign or triangle? (Mine was a triangle prior to the reboot - now it's the pound sign which I think is the standard). Num lock is achieved by pressing and holding the :cap: key then pressing the :alt: key.
If I get a chance I'll ask Nextel but I got a feeling they won't know.
Keep you posted.

Dawg 04-26-2005 05:40 AM

I still have the original number lock with the arrow

JDWallace 04-26-2005 06:44 AM

I have the same BB and Nextel....is your BB Brand New of was it a used BB? Maybe if it was a used then the person before you changed something and it didn't get wiped?? I don't know I just thought I would throw that out there.

jdh 04-26-2005 08:37 AM

Just out of curiousity, do you have any other Themes installed on your Blackberry? (You can check this by going to "Options->Theme").

This sounds like something that would be done with a theme change, in that something either possibly overwrote your Default theme, or a secondary theme got selected somehow.

Dawg 04-26-2005 08:44 AM

The 7520s can't change themes as can other BBS so dont think this is the issue

jdh 04-26-2005 08:56 AM

Hmmm... really? I thought the 7520 was basically identical to the 7290 (which I have) except for the comms hardware (ie, CDMA vs GSM/GPRS).

I've never actually tried changing themes on my 7290 (since I have no other themes loaded), but I assume the possibility exists...

wlee309 04-26-2005 10:13 AM

Something's not right. I'm one of the few, if not only, person to post a successful HTML brwoser after the upgarde and you have the weird 'star wars' arrows which no one else has. ...all this after the 319 upgrade.