BlackBerry Forums Support Community

BlackBerry Forums Support Community (http://www.blackberryforums.com/index.php)
-   General 8100 Series Discussion - Pearl (http://www.blackberryforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=71)
-   -   What is your biggest complaint about the Pearl (http://www.blackberryforums.com/showthread.php?t=72374)

whoscalling 04-09-2007 03:53 PM

What is your biggest complaint about the Pearl

I am gearing up to become a Pearl owner once the release on VZW. I feel RIM has done a pretty good job at hitting the things that are important to me in a Blackberry. It would however be helpful to hear from current users what their #1 (not a list of 3-5) complaint, constructive criticism, improvement, etc is. We all have wish lists, but I am not looking for these types of complaints such as needs Wi-Fi, or "needs a button to make my spouse sexier". Items like ringer too quiet or can't see screen in sunlight is more of what I am going for.

Thanks in advanced for any information that might prove helpful for future Pearl owners to be aware of before they buy.

bigmace3000 04-09-2007 04:03 PM

No complaints at all for me.I've had mine for a few months now and I think its the best thing since pant with pockets!!!I did do the research on it before I bought it just to make sure I coul;d use all the features and I love it!!!

John Clark 04-09-2007 04:04 PM

My biggest complaint is that the Pearl turns dark after a month or two of normal use. I even wash my hands before using it and it still turns dark.

Jifffer 04-09-2007 04:05 PM

3 beefs .....

1. need better camera - (1.3 Mp not strong enough)
2. lack of video recorder
3. lousy video player (waste of screen space)

cenner 04-09-2007 04:36 PM

My only complaints would be Jiffer's #2 & #3. Both regarding the video capabilities, but I guess its not too bad since Blackberry's main purpose is not to be MultiMedia player. The alarm is a little weak, but I'm sure that will be fixed very soon.

Other than that, I LOVE MY PEARL! Owned it since Oct. '06.

lookingforcool 04-09-2007 04:49 PM

The whole "deleting of messages and call logs" thing is the only thing that absolutely pisses me off about my Pearl. I don't like that I have to constantly check it and make sure I'm not about to lose my email. It only had to happen once, but since then I'm so paranoid that I can't go more than a couple hours without checking my memory status. Incredibly frustrating.

Oh, and it needs a button to make your spouse sexier.

fwellers 04-09-2007 05:00 PM

I'd like to see better more robust alarms and alerts.
If I wanted to get really picky, maybe a camera with auto-focus and a better flash.

But after going through a treo 650 and a Cingular 8525, both of which have more versatility, I am way more happy with this device.
It's size is awesome for what it does, and it does what it does with a very 'blackberry cool'. :-))

I really think I'll be staying with blackberry, just continually upgrading every year or so to their next iteration of the pearl type devices.

I'm a little concerned though, when I hear about RIM opening up it's api to the world of third party developers. Yea, it means more stuff, but I think a loss in it's identity and a certain loss in stability will ensue. And those are two things I love about this device.

shagz 04-09-2007 05:13 PM

I'd really like a Flash plug-in for viewing flash-based sites online. Otherwise its great!

simulator 04-09-2007 05:48 PM

The build quality is so so. Bulging back cover and squeaky side panel. And it would be nice to have a better quality camera. Otherwise, I love it.

jorv88 04-09-2007 05:50 PM

1}the flash sucks
2} everything that looks like chrome is really plastic and is very say 2 scrash
3}the pearl ball is super easy 2 get dirty even with clean hands.
4} battery life could be better
5}the speaker is way 2 low :bb:

BBChristopher 04-09-2007 05:53 PM

1. Battery life - I kill it just about every day...
2. The dirty pearl.....

whoscalling 04-09-2007 06:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jorv88
1}the flash sucks
2} everything that looks like chrome is really plastic and is very say 2 scrash
3}the pearl ball is super easy 2 get dirty even with clean hands.
4} battery life could be better
5}the speaker is way 2 low :bb:

What do you mean the speaker is too low?
-During a call, ringer, speaker phone????

Marc_G 04-09-2007 07:11 PM

My own comments are:

1. Speaker is too low during a call, on speakerphone, and ringing. I have good hearing, and even so I would like to have it much louder so that I can hear what's going on in anything other than a reasonably quiet room setting.

Comments 2-5 held in reserve since you asked for just one.

Impaler80s 04-09-2007 07:13 PM

None here.

trant01 04-09-2007 07:15 PM

-cant ring and vibrate at the same time
-alarm sucks

ivada 04-09-2007 07:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by whoscalling
I am gearing up to become a Pearl owner once the release on VZW. I feel RIM has done a pretty good job at hitting the things that are important to me in a Blackberry. It would however be helpful to hear from current users what their #1 (not a list of 3-5) complaint, constructive criticism, improvement, etc is. We all have wish lists, but I am not looking for these types of complaints such as needs Wi-Fi, or "needs a button to make my spouse sexier". Items like ringer too quiet or can't see screen in sunlight is more of what I am going for.

Thanks in advanced for any information that might prove helpful for future Pearl owners to be aware of before they buy.

NO GPS! That's it - nothing else. Love my Pearl otherwise.
Oh, can't let this go, this is a BIGGIE for me - the Vibration function is weak, weak, weak! I miss a lot of calls cuz' of this.

piterh 04-09-2007 07:48 PM

Battery... need that 2400 mah!!!

medic223 04-09-2007 07:56 PM

It doesn't do my dishes.

Oh, and the dirty pearl.

puckplayer4 04-09-2007 07:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lookingforcool
The whole "deleting of messages and call logs" thing is the only thing that absolutely pisses me off about my Pearl. I don't like that I have to constantly check it and make sure I'm not about to lose my email. It only had to happen once, but since then I'm so paranoid that I can't go more than a couple hours without checking my memory status. Incredibly frustrating.

Oh, and it needs a button to make your spouse sexier.

I've added more memory so no issue on deleting of stuff.

However, I concur on the spousal button.:smile:

claykin 04-09-2007 07:57 PM

Software bugs....

1) Memory leaks even when no third party apps installed (i.e. deleting messages issue)
2) sluggish BB maps when using BT GPS puck. Entire phone becomes disgustingly sluggish after exiting from using BB maps with GPS puck making reboot usually required.
3) Some PDF attachments won't show/blank (no rhyme or reason and cannot find a common denominator to blame it on a certain version of Acrobat files)

Otherwise, love it. However, you are receiving comments on the GSM version when you will buy the CDMA version (if it ever is released). I bet the CDMA version will have a totally different set of issues. Plus VZW will implement their own set of communistic rules upon users who want to use their Pearl....