BlackBerry Forums Support Community

BlackBerry Forums Support Community (http://www.blackberryforums.com/index.php)
-   BES Admin Corner (http://www.blackberryforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=21)
-   -   Force Address Book Synchronisation? (http://www.blackberryforums.com/showthread.php?t=76908)

GJH1968 05-17-2007 04:09 AM

Force Address Book Synchronisation?

We're running BES 4.2 with Novell Groupwise. Does anyone know if I can force a user's address book to synchronise with the address book on his handheld? Failing that, what are the time intervals for address book synchronisation?
Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks.

goresci 05-17-2007 04:24 AM

I've seen somewhere that the intervals are every 4 hours, for the contacts to sync from server to device,

from device to server, they should be pretty much straight away.

And i've seen somewhere else that disable address book sync on the device, and then re-enable it, could force the sync,

i'll try it now and let you know.

Quote:

Originally Posted by GJH1968 (Post 538906)
We're running BES 4.2 with Novell Groupwise. Does anyone know if I can force a user's address book to synchronise with the address book on his handheld? Failing that, what are the time intervals for address book synchronisation?
Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks.

GJH1968 05-17-2007 04:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by goresci (Post 538909)
I've seen somewhere that the intervals are every 4 hours, for the contacts to sync from server to device,

And i've seen somewhere else that disable address book sync on the device, and then re-enable it, could force the sync,

How do I disable the address book sync?

goresci 05-17-2007 04:44 AM

Ok

New contact entered on BlackBerry Device, took two minutes to sync with groupwise address book, entry show in GWPA log shows "NEW CONTACT"

Creating new contact in GroupWise client doesn't sync straight away

Disabling Wireless Sync on address book and re-enabling it doesn't do it straight away.

Toggling on and off the address book sync in PIM sync properties in BlackBerry Manager doesn't do it straight away either.

Restarting the BB Device didn't do it either lol (i had to try it)

so it looks like the sync will wait 4 hours as mentioned before new contacts are present on the device.

hope that helps

Quote:

Originally Posted by goresci (Post 538909)

goresci 05-17-2007 04:45 AM

Depends which one

you can disable "Wireless Sync" on the address book, in contacts - options
you can disable sync in the user properties - pim sync - address book, in BlackBerry Manager

Quote:

Originally Posted by GJH1968 (Post 538910)
How do I disable the address book sync?

GJH1968 05-17-2007 05:39 AM

Thanks for your help.

goresci 05-17-2007 09:55 AM

4 hours later, address sync'd up with my device
a little bit of a long time, however working as designed

dropscience 05-17-2007 10:14 AM

^ The 4 hour rule applies to GroupWise, but does anyone know if other messaging platforms like Domino or Exchange makes you wait that long? Just wondeing if this is something inherant to GroupWise only.

Also, not sure if this would make a difference but I'm interested to know if SOAP would speed up this process as opposed to Object API?? Anyone?

marduo 05-24-2007 11:45 AM

This is described in KB03763 - Subscribe to an Address Book.

BES for Exchange doesnt have the 4 hour waiting period. I came from an Exchange environment and this was a big jaw dropper during the implementation.

Since then i encouraged users to make changes from the device.

To check the next sync time, look at the *PA*.log file for the next address book sync for the user.

ajitchambers 10-15-2007 08:41 AM

blackberry lotus notes address book synch - help!

does anyone know how to speed up this address book synch, would be most appreciated as I need to find a way around this 4 hour workaround!

its quite urgent as I have a deadline.

much appreciated
ajitchambers AT hotmail.com

ScubaSteve 10-15-2007 05:13 PM

Not sure if this is what you are looking for or not, as it requires the handheld in hand.

You can force the sync of the address book by using the Desktop Manager to delete the address book off the handheld, then performing the above steps to force synchronization. It should sync the address book in a few minutes.

If you were talking about a global/wireless sync rather than a local sync fix for one or a few handhelds, then this method isn't realistic for you and I think you are stuck with the 4 hour sync time.

Aroc 10-15-2007 08:38 PM

I just did a battery of tests. (rather unscientific and I didn't perform many trials)

1. 3 new additions in Lotus Notes/Domino
2. 3 new additions on Handheld
3. 3 modifications in Lotus Notes/Domino
4. 3 modification on handheld

All of these were to my server-based replica of my address book (BES is on a separate server, both on same gigE LAN.

I used the live console output of the Domino Admin client to watch the server console as the testing was performed. All of the syncs were between 10 and 52 seconds. It seems that updates from server to handheld pushed and reconciled faster (between 10 and 15 seconds) than the updates from the handheld to the server (between 10 and 52 seconds). But none of this took hours. YMMV.

This is just one man's anecdotal (unscientific) testing.

jaltig 11-08-2007 11:23 AM

Where did you get BES 4.2 - the best I can find is BES 4.1.4 and as far as i can tell groupwise contacts is still broke in that release.

Jim

hdawg 11-08-2007 09:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jaltig (Post 732850)
Where did you get BES 4.2 - the best I can find is BES 4.1.4 and as far as i can tell groupwise contacts is still broke in that release.

Jim

BES 4.2 doesn't exist ... I think its safe to assume that was a typo.