BlackBerry Forums Support Community

BlackBerry Forums Support Community (http://www.blackberryforums.com/index.php)
-   Rants and Raves Forum (http://www.blackberryforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=75)
-   -   Selective Censorship Sucks (http://www.blackberryforums.com/showthread.php?t=92237)

Lowrider 08-26-2007 03:15 AM

Selective Censorship Sucks

This site censors on post for so called "profanity", even though, VBullentin censors profane words out. They delete post at will, and leave, basically the same kind of language in other "in peoples" post. I realize I'm prolly gonna get banned but....sensorship is WRONG.

Just delete my account, sensorship SUCKS!

bauer1979 08-26-2007 03:41 AM

How do you really feel?:cry:

jibi 08-26-2007 04:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lowrider (Post 645606)
This site censors on post for so called "profanity", even though, VBullentin censors profane words out. They delete post at will, and leave, basically the same kind of language in other "in peoples" post. I realize I'm prolly gonna get banned but....sensorship is WRONG.

Just delete my account, sensorship SUCKS!

People cuss and that's a fact of life. I personally could care less if someone cussed on here, but keeping the site professional and business-friendly are two very important goals of the moderation team. I will be the first to admit that I've cussed now and again on here, although that does not come anywhere close to portraying my use of various cuss words on a daily basis in real life. Regardless, rules are rules ...sometimes you slip up and sometimes we have people who have made it a point to seek out someone and slam them with inappropriate language. I believe that's usually when it becomes an issue.

Also worth noting, we do not monitor every word that is posted to this forum. It's not possible. If someone reports your thread or someone attacks someone with language worthy of a soap-bar breakfast, then action will be taken.

Lastly, in vBulletin's Censorship Options, it defaults to Disabled and has no words listed in the Censored Words field. I've been administering vBulletin forums for almost a decade and not once has vBulletin censored words without being configured to do so.

Lowrider 08-26-2007 04:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jibi (Post 645637)
People cuss and that's a fact of life. I personally could care less if someone cussed on here, but keeping the site professional and business-friendly are two very important goals of the moderation team. I will be the first to admit that I've cussed now and again on here, although that does not come anywhere close to portraying my use of various cuss words on a daily basis in real life. Regardless, rules are rules ...sometimes you slip up and sometimes we have people who have made it a point to seek out someone and slam them with inappropriate language. I believe that's usually when it becomes an issue.

Also worth noting, we do not monitor every word that is posted to this forum. It's not possible. If someone reports your thread or someone attacks someone with language worthy of a soap-bar breakfast, then action will be taken.

Lastly, in vBulletin's Censorship Options, it defaults to Disabled and has no words listed in the Censored Words field. I've been administering vBulletin forums for almost a decade and not once has vBulletin censored words without being configured to do so.

The problem is not the cursing, it's the SELECTIVE CENSORING, in the same thread too!

btw...I never cursed any way, U won't find the word I said in ANY dictionary. BS

I kow VBulletin has to be configured, I Admin at 2 sites. But I tried a few words and I got "P****", instead of what I really wanted to say.

jibi 08-26-2007 05:05 AM

Tom has enabled the censored words options for obvious reasons. As for you not cursing, I still have access to the post that was deleted. Substituting an 'o' for a 'u' in a certain F-word is certainly cursing in most people's books, not to mention ending that particular sentence with the lengthy B-word. So perhaps your idea of cursing and mine differ slightly? Nothing else posted in that thread by any other member of this forum was inappropriate.

And in all honesty, I will guarantee you that 'selective censorship' does not take place on this forum. Perhaps certain people do something to catch the watchful eye of the moderation team and then it appears that there would be something along those lines going on (macmel, for example). I do not know of a single member of the leadership team who actively gives special treatment to 'preferred' forum members - simply put, there's no such status on this forum.

NJBlackBerry 08-26-2007 08:00 AM

And selective sensorship is truly an awful thing. Those sensors are everywhere.

JSanders 08-26-2007 08:09 AM

Low, since you chose to take this public (I sent you a very polite warning, which means very little and next to nothing). Take my PM as it was intended, as a friendly warning. Your response to this now and your accusation fo "selective sensorship" says more than I can.

Enjoy the forums, you are welcome here.

aiharkness 08-26-2007 08:09 AM

Yeah, I deal with sensors, too. When they are erratic, it sure is a pain in the rear. ........ Too funny.

EDIT: Second thoughts....Sorry to make light, Low.............the word play pushed my funny button.

Lowrider 08-26-2007 08:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jibi (Post 645654)
Tom has enabled the censored words options for obvious reasons. As for you not cursing, I still have access to the post that was deleted. Substituting an 'o' for a 'u' in a certain F-word is certainly cursing in most people's books, not to mention ending that particular sentence with the lengthy B-word. So perhaps your idea of cursing and mine differ slightly? Nothing else posted in that thread by any other member of this forum was inappropriate.

And in all honesty, I will guarantee you that 'selective censorship' does not take place on this forum. Perhaps certain people do something to catch the watchful eye of the moderation team and then it appears that there would be something along those lines going on (macmel, for example). I do not know of a single member of the leadership team who actively gives special treatment to 'preferred' forum members - simply put, there's no such status on this forum.

So, piss isn't bad, but fo** is? bs

JSanders 08-26-2007 08:12 AM

Lowrider, why not just try all the words you want, and see what gets you banned.

Or use good judgement and don't.

Your choice.

Lowrider 08-26-2007 08:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JSanders (Post 645712)
Low, since you chose to take this public (I sent you a very polite warning, which means very little and next to nothing). Take my PM as it was intended, as a friendly warning. Your response to this now and your accusation fo "selective sensorship" says more than I can.

Enjoy the forums, you are welcome here.

This is my final post on this subject.

I don't mind the PM, it's the deletion of my whole post. That is selective censorship!
CLOSE THIS IF U WANT, i WON'T LOOK AT THIS AGAIN, SO ANOTHER RESPONSE IS LIKE TALKING TO THE WALL!

JSanders 08-26-2007 08:17 AM

Good.

x2.

Dawg 08-26-2007 08:22 AM

awww someone got there feelings hurts

roofus 08-26-2007 09:47 AM

Censorship does produce some amusing results though.

My wife works for a large international NGO and my emails to her get censored all the time. For example as a hobby we raise purebred bull terriers. There is a proper name for female dogs . . . the b word. Try and use that perfectly proper word to refer to a girl dog and it's gets caught in there severs filters all the time. You can't even use it on some dog fancier forums!!! There are other examples as well, but they escape me at this time.

dc/dc 08-26-2007 10:21 AM

Wow. It sounds like this place just might be better off without you.

LunkHead 08-26-2007 12:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lowrider (Post 645718)
CLOSE THIS IF U WANT, i WON'T LOOK AT THIS AGAIN, SO ANOTHER RESPONSE IS LIKE TALKING TO THE WALL!

I want a new law....

Anyone who post here will talk to the wall....

LunkHead 08-26-2007 12:09 PM

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA... Who gave Beastie an iPhone???? Oh...... SD...... :)

dc/dc 08-26-2007 12:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LunkHead (Post 645855)
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA... Who gave Beastie an iPhone???? Oh...... SD...... :)

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!!!!

LunkHead 08-26-2007 12:41 PM

I shot soda out my nose when I noticed it.....

They (I have my suspects identified) are all over Beastie like a hobo on a chicken salad sandwich!

John Clark 08-26-2007 01:23 PM

Love it Love Love it!!! The avatar, that is!

sorry, back on topic....