Old 07-24-2008, 01:16 PM   #49
Lokheed
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8100
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Rogers

Quote:
Originally Posted by nuerotic View Post
I need to know if the SIM card damage happens with this release - well I loaded up this firmware on my unlocked cingular 8100 running with T-mobile sim-card/service.

During installation, I had loaded up the phone with a cingular sim-card (not-active)...and after installation - the phone goes into SOS mode (can only make emergency calls), as that card is not active with Cingular.

And then I changed to T-mobile Sim Card and the phone was working, and I was reading the posts about the Sim card being damaged, and I immediately changed sim cards to test out the sim card issue,

I then went to load the phone up with Cingular Sim card (not active service one), and few minutes later, I got the message on the screen - Sim Profile: error (something like that), and after taking battery and rebooting the phone - it still showed the Sim Profile: error

And now after reinstalling 4.2, that same un-used sim card shows Sim Card is rejected, which never showed that previously when I was on the same build before experimenting with this current 4.5 release.

So I believe it is safe to assume that the non-active sim card is damaged now as those error were not there (or ever there even with previous 4.2 OSes) about Sim profile error or Sim rejected.

If I am correct, wtf is going on with this Sim Card Damage blues, I even saw the thread on Beta than you me section - with the thread 4.5 Killing Sim Cards

Seriously What is going on here? How come these SIM cards are being damaged...and no root cause is found - This is literally quite scary, and I went back to 4.2 for now...luckily my T-mobile Sim card didn't get hosed - as that is the only phone service I have...

And these 4.5 OS are released by the carriers (so they are official builds), but then why are these official builds causing SIM Damage..

This officially makes not touch 4.5 till I have 100% confirmation that my sim card will not get damaged (as its the same sim card I have used since 2003, got too many important numbers stored on it, and yes they are backed up already).
After my SIM got knocked out, I pulled the battery and rebooted. After a few minutes, same thing, read SOS no sim card found. I reverted back to .52 and after pushing three or four buttons, same error came up. I wiped my phone with Jbuilder and then reinstalled .52. Phone is fine now. SIM works and has all night (so far around 9 hours). As I said above, this is my first time dealing with this problem, but just wanted to post that there doesn't appear to be any lasting "damage."
Offline   Reply With Quote