View Single Post
Old 10-22-2008, 09:03 AM   #8
Frank Castle
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: 9930
PIN: PM Me!
Carrier: VZW

They outsold 2-3 year old Blackberries by .8 hundred thousand units. Not that impressive considering the marketing they have everywhere. I'm more impressed that RIM is selling that many OLDER devices (likely due to sub $100 cost). If RIM got some pressure on At&t / Verizon and got the release of the BOLD, Storm and Kickstart on track, I'd be worried if I was Apple.

Apple is limited to their one device, on one carrier (states) and the thing that will drive sales now is AppStore .. so unless your a consumer and want entertainment (by far the largest selection on there) why buy an Iphone when any Blackberry can beat it senseless for normal phone/email usage?? The fact that Storm pretty much erases every advantage Iphone has on Blackberry and the fact that RIM will have their own StoreFront next year it comes back to picking the device that works best for YOU.

In my space (Enterprise Mobility Support) .. nothing comes close to Blackberry for the things I care about: Device Security and Management, so until someone can come up with a solution that is BETTER then the BES and beats RIM's TCO its not even worth discussing. Microsoft comes and shows us System Center Device Manager every other month and when it comes to pricing it's ridiculous how expensive it is compared to BES CAL WITH T-Support!

Apple is floating out there really as a consumer device that does a little enterprise. We just re-examined it and choose to only support it for web access email as it's just not secure enough, no controls to manage it. Apple needs a BES like solution to really compete in this space.
Offline   Reply With Quote