View Single Post
Old 10-22-2008, 04:09 PM   #16
soupandsandwich

Quote:
Originally Posted by RemcoVi View Post
Ok i will try to be as complete as possible.

Carrier support: Check
I have called my carrier and yes they told me i needed the Blackberry subscription, so i let it be changed and called today to ask if there where multiple options to choose from. She told me no and my subscription is activated for use with a blackberry.

Installed BES Express on SBS2003: Check
I have installed the BES Express on a SBS 2003 server and followed the step-by-step guide of Blackberry itself.
I created an user BPSAdmin
Set the permissions in Active Directory and Exchange System manager
Installed the BES Express software
Followd the wizard to create an user

From this point i have my doubts if this is going wrong.

When i follow the Wizard of adding one user it is asking for a default policy and i have choosen the default it policy.
As far as i can see the BES Manager is sending an e-mail to my Exchange mailbox (firstname@companyname.nl)
If i log in my OWA i see the e-mail sitting there and is telling me the following:

So i go to the menu Option -> Advanced Option -> Enterprise Activation
and i need to fill in an e-mail adres, password and a server adress.

I read here and there that i don't need to fill in the server adress, ok fine, still can't believe it, but ok.

When i try to activate i get an error after a while wich is saying it can't reach or find the server.

The links wich are posted in this post is telling that the Blackberry device must send the e-mail wich has the EPT.DAT file as an attachment, but the Blackberry device is not sending it, the BES Manager software does it.

I have the following connections enabled:
Mobile network is enabled and set to 2G / 3G
Wi-Fi is disabled
Bluetooth is disabled.

What am i doing so wrong i can't get this to work?
I'm in a decent mood, so I'm going to give this one last shot at explaining this to you.
Here it goes...

Step 1 (BES Admin) - Add user to BES using BES Manager. Manually create the activation password using the 'Set Activation Password' function, or automatically create a password using the 'Generate And Email Activation Password' function. You seem to be using an Add User wizard, which is perfectly fine too.

One way or another, the user needs to know the activation password. From the looks of it, it's being emailed to them... which is good.

Step 2 (User/Device) - On the device, in the Enterprise Activation screen, you need to enter your corporate email address (the one in the BES profile) and your activation password. (The one that was emailed to the user from BES manager.)

If you're not activating via Wi-Fi (which you aren't), then you leave the Server field blank.

After the email address and activation password are entered, this will trigger an email sent FROM THE RIM NETWORK to the user's mailbox. This email contains an attachment (ETP.DAT) which contains the activation instructions. This message must reach the user's mailbox intact.

**** If this ETP.DAT message never reaches the user's mailbox... then this is likely the result of incorrect data provisioning on the device. The device needs an ENTERPRISE BLACKBERRY DATA PLAN on the line in order for this to work properly. *****

Step 3 (BES) - BES will see the ETP.DAT activation email in the user's mailbox, and grab it. It will then be removed from the user's mailbox. You likely won't ever see this happen, because it happens very quickly.

BES now validates the user's activation password and records the PIN number of the device which requested the activation. If the activation password is a match, then activation begins and encryption keys are generated, and IT Policies are sent to the device, and so on and so on.

Last edited by soupandsandwich; 10-22-2008 at 04:13 PM..