View Single Post
Old 11-15-2005, 02:47 PM   #28
jimn367
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9630
Carrier: Verizon

I guess I don't understand the point of some of this 'I can break the code conversation'. I can smash open your blackberry, pull off the chips and read them directly. Takes a little extra hardware, but do-able.

There will always be data recovery technology out there that can get your data. Ever seen how the FAA manages to get data off computer memory chips after sitting at the bottom of the ocean for a month and the computer smashed to bits?

Blackberries in their current form are not secure devices to any sort of NSA cryptographic standards (beyond 4 or maybe 3). A blackberry is not a STUIII phone! Also, when you wipe a blackberry I hardly think it is following standards for cleansing the memory to NSA erasure procedures for classified data. I am amused by people making arguments about blackberry security whilst walking around with 2G USB thumbdrives, CD burners on their laptops (with Wi-Fi and Bluetooth), and MP3 players with files on them.

Is a blackberry w/o memory cards more safe than one with memory cards - yes. Is it secure? NO. If someone wanted the data off that bad boy even after being remotely disabled they could get it.

Last edited by jimn367; 11-15-2005 at 04:41 PM..