View Single Post
Old 02-13-2009, 02:10 PM   #12
george57l

Model: 9000
PIN: N/A
Carrier: O2

PapiPabs - thanks very much.
I saw that, but what I really want is to assign a convenience button an action, and then be able to easily disable/re-enable the button itself. I.e assign it to voice dial as a permanent setting - and then set the button itself disabled - then set it re-enabled (very quickly) when I get in the car, and disable it again when I stop driving, and so on. Don't want to have to navigate all the menus and assign/reassign the actual button function every time. A subtle but important distinction. I strongly suspect this is not possible.

Sadly, the other route I considered - placing Voice dial on home screen - single click enables it - is no good as my employer has enforced a 15 minute lock. So after 15 minutes of driving I'd have to enter my password to get to the voice dial app - not a good strategy! In fact I now realise that my voice dial/convenience button problem is a second level problem - the first level problem is avoiding the 15 minute lock-out - 'cos if locked, the convenience button won't work anyway! (Doh!)

(Or I can remember to poke the keyboard every 14 minutes while at the wheel!)

I can enable "call while locked" which is useful when driving - but this only gets me into the phone app - and from within the phone app there does not appear to be any route or option to enable voice dial (see my earlier rant about how non-intuitive. non-consistent the BB behaviour is in this respect)
Voice dialling is a PHONE app function and should darn well be in that app, not sitting 'ouside' of it! This is actually the basic design fault - if voice dial could be activated in the phone app, the lockout would not matter.

Whichever route I go, I'm stymied, it seems.
Offline   Reply With Quote