Old 03-04-2009, 09:32 AM   #3
delmarco
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 9790
Carrier: T-Mobile
Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by YMark View Post
You're a tough guy to please. Hope your opinion changes, it really is a great device.
I'm hard to please? not really. Didn't you see the threads in here about "left side of keyboard squeeks" and "tiny bumps by the LED" ? Those posters have true quality obsession. I'm here to share pictures and thoughts.

After two days with the 8900. I love it as much as my 8320/8330. The software progression and design is definately present in the 8900. Which is expected.

Two major stand outs:

1. Although the Internet is not faster than on the previous Curve, but you get better and full internet pages that load at the same rate (dependant on your carrier/coverage). So you can say you get more page at the same rate, but heavy graphic pages will load slow regardless. This is heavily my opinion because my gfriend used it to shop online last night at a few clothing websites (Ninewest, Banana Republic) and she thought it was much faster than on the previous Curve.

So said and done the speed you get is up to you, the websites you visit and your coverage speed in your area. Still you get more internet at the same speed as before and that is a good thing. There is also now a tiny "mouse arrow" that makes browsing realistic.

So design is much better on the Internet, but not speed.

2. Keypad/Trackball. The keypad design and ease of use is the best on any Blackberry or PDA/Smart Phone I've ever used and I've used damn near all of them. I can't figure out as yet what makes it better, but typing is 1000 times better than the previous Curve. As for the trackball, it feels smaller than on the older Curve, but the black rubber ball is more grippy and doesn't pick up oils and dirt at all. My only complaint is the dimness of the keypad's and trackball frame ring's backlight.

Some potential problems

1. The quality of the housing is not all that great (especially compared to the Leather backed/metallic Bold). The Javelin has that cheap plastic feel about it, especially the screen area. It feels like the screen wil pick up scratches easily. Also the screen has a upper border that seems to be a cut line where it separates from the upper part of the phone. I don't really like that, since the older Curve has a smooth continious screen that went all the way up the the top edge (where the LED indicators were). The Javelin's screen is sectioned off at the top of the screen itself. And the screen's surface is easily squeezable where poking it with your fingers (or say if you have keys or a pen in you bag next to it) will actually create warps in the LCD fluid below. I'm not sure of the potential damage that sort of contact (if it is consistent) will cause down the line. The battery door is a joke. It is probably one of the loosest fitting doors I can rememeber on any Blackberry. It also does not flush smoothly with the back top section where the camera lens lay. There is an annoying dip/groove where the two seperate.

2. I wish I can make the home screen and apps screen icons smaller under the Screen Display Settings (but I guess that will help the Theme economy sell more themes for the 8900).

Overall, I love this phone and despite a few quirks it is one of the best Berries I've owned. I can't wait for the 3G versions and the inevitable style facelift that RIM will give it over the next few months.

Last edited by delmarco; 03-04-2009 at 09:44 AM..
Offline   Reply With Quote